• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Could It Be Possible??? (1 Viewer)

sunsetview

Hello everyone,
I've got a question, maybe two.
Last year was my first year to have the Painted Buntings in my yard at my special feeder for them,here in Florida. There seem to be a few females but only one male. As I recall, they came in late Oct. Now, this year I did not spot them out there till the end of Dec. and then it was for only two days in a row. I have other birds coming to other feeders. Hummers, and Cardinals ,ect.
There is an American Kestrel (female) who is hanging out in my back yard and my neighbors yards too. She perches way up high on the power lines or on the actual power posts. She makes several low sweeps and then goes back to the line. I have not witness her catching anything. It does however look like she is here to stay. She has been here months .
Could that be the reason why my beautiful Painted Buntings are not making their daily appearance? Will they come back? What can I do?
Thanks

An American Kestrel constantly hanging over your feeders could very well be the cause for the lack of activity.

But what about other bird species? Is it just the Painted Buntings that are absent?

We have a pair of kestrels behind my workplace and some days its all you can do to find a pair of dunnocks or the occasional great tit. Im convinced its because of the K's. Its a pity because the area is huge and capable of holding hundreds of birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back