• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Questionnaire: What Do You Think About Birds Of Prey? (1 Viewer)

Like Henning and Dan Theman, I thought it 'didn't look quite right' for a Common Buzzard, and thought it might be a stock photo off the internet with a RTH mislabelled as CB - though unlike Gwynn, I wasn't able to find the pic elsewhere even with google image search.

If it is indeed in Winsford / Weaver Parkway, then yes, it should be a Buzzard: but there are also a number of escaped falconers' RTH floating around the country, so that still can't be completely excluded.

Anyone know of any reliable ID characters to distinguish RTH from CB, particularly in immature plumage when RTH doesn't have a red tail?

Last edited:
Like Henning and Dan Theman, I thought it 'didn't look quite right' for a Common Buzzard, and thought it might be a stock photo off the internet with a RTH mislabelled as CB - though unlike Gwynn, I wasn't able to find the pic elsewhere even with google image search.

If it is indeed in Winsford / Weaver Parkway, then yes, it should be a Buzzard: but there are also a number of escaped falconers' RTH floating around the country, so that still can't be completely excluded.

Anyone know of any reliable ID characters to distinguish RTH from CB, particularly in immature plumage when RTH doesn't have a red tail?

Time to post a link (to this thread or the newspaper article above) in the Bird Q and A subforum?? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back