• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's eating from finch feeder at night? (1 Viewer)

inquirer

About two months ago we hung up a typical transparent tube finch feeder... about 1.5 feet from a window, handing off a roof gutter on east side of building. Filled it with commercial finch seed mix.

About a week after hanging it my wife saw one finch come and feed during day.

Since then we've never seen any birds (and we're home much of the time) but the seed level keeps descending. Actually recently had to almost completely refill it.

I'm pretty sure there's no way for squirrels to reach it (beside, they're not shy, and are active during day... so we's see them) or rats to reach it.

We do have starlings in the area. Do they feed at night?

Puzzled about whose eating.

Alex

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Got any raccoons in your area? They are great at jumping. I've seen them get on my tube feeders in the evening. Most of the time their hanging on to the feeder winds up tipping the feeder and the seed goes on the ground, where they then feed on the ground.

How far off the ground is the feeder? Deer love birdseed, and so do bears. Either can stand as tall as a man.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back