• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

Just a top tip to everyone on here with a bird feeder, try mixing coffee beans in with the nuts as a Xmas treat, you'll soon find there's a queue waiting like a commuter cafe, I think birds enjoy a coffee fix like the rest of us. I've started a separate thread on this topic elsewhere on the forums.

Whilst shaving and brushing my teeth I noticed Magpies at the feeder and a Blue Tit, it wasn't on the feeder but on top of a tree was a Song Thrush.

A garden feeder 1st!

On a day that was almost difficult to separate from night, a garden ''feeder'' lifetime 1st!....certainly for me, just when I thought the feeder list was complete....along comes Goldcrest. :eek!:

Cheers

Attachments

• P2090193.jpeg    A grdn.feeder 1st..jpeg
    P2090193.jpeg A grdn.feeder 1st..jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 17
  • P2090189.jpeg     Grdn.Gldcrst.on feeder a 1st no.2..jpeg
    P2090189.jpeg Grdn.Gldcrst.on feeder a 1st no.2..jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 18
On a day that was almost difficult to separate from night, a garden ''feeder'' lifetime 1st!....certainly for me, just when I thought the feeder list was complete....along comes Goldcrest. :eek!:

Cheers
Brilliant! Hope it returns.

Thanks for your reply. I know they will come eventually, and I know that sunflower hearts will definitely be on their favourite food list, it’s just a matter of time. You have a nice list of visitors there. We’ve had Jays, Nuthatch, Coal, Blue, Great and Long Tail Tits. Sparrowhawk at least three times i’ve seen, regular owl at night probably Tawny.

Come on Goldfinches!

Finally!

Our first Goldfinch today. Been having lots of Blue, Great, Long Tail and Coal Tits. Also Nuthatches, Robins Blackbirds and others. Got rid of the yellow flags and put my Droll Yankee Nyger feeder up about a month ago and finally I’ve had a visit from a Goldfinch today. Hopefully it will tell all it’s friends!

Blackcap feeding on fat balls yesterday followed a pair of Bullfinches the day before.

I thought I'd defeated the squirrels going up the hanging feeder pole with one of those upside half globe things. But a couple of them have already taken to making death defying, shit or bust leaps onto the feeder pole! They give it such a clatter it nearly takes it out completely and scatters seed everywhere, much to the delight of the blackbirds and woodpigeon. I'll be surprised if one of the squirrels doesn't impale itself on the decorative spike on the top.

Daily Goldfinches but 3 is the most so far.

Finally!

Our first Goldfinch today. Been having lots of Blue, Great, Long Tail and Coal Tits. Also Nuthatches, Robins Blackbirds and others. Got rid of the yellow flags and put my Droll Yankee Nyger feeder up about a month ago and finally I’ve had a visit from a Goldfinch today. Hopefully it will tell all it’s friends!

Attachments

• 92CCA7BB-646C-4DDD-8BEB-38C61B739A68.jpeg
    92CCA7BB-646C-4DDD-8BEB-38C61B739A68.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 40
Male and female Bullies have been back at the feeder for the last week or so.

Attachments

• FF1C9694-CABC-4A15-99B7-DD9AD717510B.jpg
    FF1C9694-CABC-4A15-99B7-DD9AD717510B.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 8DF63110-9960-4D0B-AE71-106FF0329D6F.jpg
    8DF63110-9960-4D0B-AE71-106FF0329D6F.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 26
Nice, never had Bullfinches on my feeders, they always seem to pass through the garden. I did film some hovering around a fir tree a long time a go though.

Got the video here on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xt7q0upRWw

Thanks for sharing Will. My brother used to live in the middle of a housing estate (although one where they kept many trees and was surrounded by a non built up area) and he used to get several every day.

Rich

Thanks for sharing Will. My brother used to live in the middle of a housing estate (although one where they kept many trees and was surrounded by a non built up area) and he used to get several every day.

Rich

He was lucky then to see daily.

That video is from 10 years ago, from when we used to live in the country and used to have loads of birds in the garden. Hoping to build it up here at our new house.

Had our first greenfinches today (that I’ve seen anyway) so slowly building up on different species.

Bloomin squirrels though!

Had for us, a real rarity in the garden yesterday - Starling. :t: They’re around the village but rarely drop in to feed.

Hi Rich, you’ve brought to mind when I made my first bird table at Cubs around 30 years ago! I set it out in my Mum and Dad’s garden, and we were camping out in the garden at the time so it must have been the school holidays. I remember it as I was abruptly woken by loads of Starlings in a feeding frenzy early in the morning. That would be a rare sight nowadays.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back