• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Cassowary attacks and Kills a Man in Florida (1 Viewer)

manfred0034

Hey guys. Wasn't sure where to put this thread. I didn't see a topic for Birds in the news.
Anywho. I know Cassowaries are aggressive birds. For one on CNN they said that Cassowaries are the most dangerous bird. Is that true? I know that Cassowaries can kill people. I guess my main question is. Why on earth would anyone want to "raise" cassowaries. Unless you are a zoo keeper or animal biologist with a degree. Or someone like Jack Hannah. I doubt that even he would. Generally when I watch a Jack Hannah show he looks scared of just about any animal he sees even blue jays. So I don't get it. Apparently this was an older Hispanic man. I was wondering if this is some kind of fake news story. Or maybe some ploy by Donald Trump to allow illegals to come into the country. But.. the caveat is that they have to raise a cassowary. Maybe two. like maybe as a mean means of torture.
So yeah. I know of people who raise Emus. I know Emus are or can be dangerous too. I remember going to a zoo once and my brother was attacked in the head by a Rhea it used its bill and it did this repeatedly to the point that it scared both me and my brother of coming close to the Rhea enclosure. And it sort of pissed me off because I think Rheas are cool looking birds. But I guess don't get too close! Same thing with Cassowaries. Seems to me like Cassowaries more so than any flightless bird are totally aware of the fact that they are flightless and totally aware of the weapons that they have at their disposal. They kind of look like freaks of nature to me. But cool looking. Sort of like dinosaurs or some remnant of the megafauna days.
But yeah I have never heard of anyone raising a cassowary. Why?? Do they make good sausage? Is he on a suicide mission? Why that instead of an emu. It's the beak, it's the beak, says Ron Magill. Eerr the claws. Horrible way to go getting killed or stomped on by a Cassowary. Wacko birds. Makes you think twice about having a bird feeder. When I see Cassowaries I can't help but wonder why all of the moas went extinct, which were larger and could do more damage to a person. But Cassowaries much smaller are still here. I am definitely not going to own a cassowary any time. And have it turn my face into cotton candy or egg drop soup. with some kicks.
To me if you are going to do a "list" of top dangerous birds that it pretty much begins and ends with the cassowary. Hopefully they don't show up in packs and gang up on people too. Yeesh. If I am on a reserve where those things are at I will just stay in my Tahoe. With the windows down.
Like how sharp are a Cassowaries talons anyway? Sharp and powerful enough to puncture a basketball?
Birds in general are punks. Wasn't this guy down on the ground when the Cassowary really started attacking him? Plus isn't there some kind of vulture in Russia or Eastern Europe I think that likes to swoop down and attack people when they are trying to climb a mountain. And sometimes it works and it knocks the person down. They attack people when people are at their most precarious and vulnerable. Maybe revenge for the poultry industry. I don't know. I just don't trust birds.

Serves him right for holding a bird captive that really should be allowed to live it's life in the wild.

Niels

I was gifted this tribal neckware by an old guy, some twenty years ago in Indonesia.

He had very little English and even less idea what the piece actually was, all he knew was that it came from Papua.

Attachments

• rsz_p4181841.jpg
    rsz_p4181841.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 59
Manfred, I think humans are much more dangerous than birds - or any other animal. :C
And I wonder, are you in right forum if you don't trust (=like?) birds?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back