• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange color (1 Viewer)

volker sthamer

Hi,
I took this photo aprox 4 weeks ago at Castro Marim /Algarve, Portugal.
There was a group of 7 Cattle Egrets, all showing the same greenish coloration which I have never seen before.

Has this been observed somewhere else ? What could be the reason?

Thanks and best wishes
Volker

Attachments

• DSC_0238a.JPG
    DSC_0238a.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 134
Here's a more extreme coloured bird I came across in S. Spain - honeym mentions copper sulphate as a possible cause of cattle egrets "getting the blues" ;)

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=301090

I agree with the copper sulphate hypothesis. I've seen other birds with the same colouration, near Beja (a bit towards North from Castro Marim).
There are similar reports also around Beja. Cattle egret usually follow tractors and other farming machinery, inclusively when chemicals are being applied to the crops.

Maybe copper oxide? Are there any copper mines or copper deposits nearby?

I'm off to South-western Spain next week, near Algeciras and the cottage we rent has water supplied from a borehole. The rocks are high in copper and a side effect of this is that when a bath is run the water is perfectly clear (with maybe the slightest hint of straw colour). But then when soap is added the water instantly takes on a noticeable blue-green tint as copper oxide is precipitated out of the water by the action of the alkaline soap. The egret in the picture has a colouration very like the colour of copper oxide, so maybe something to do with that, if it's been knocking around settling ponds or something of the sort.

In connection with this I've often noticed that when flying into that part of Spain that a lot of the reservoirs have an eerily blue tint when seen from the air, which I've put down to the presence of naturally occurring copper salts in the bedrock.

In connection with this I've often noticed that when flying into that part of Spain that a lot of the reservoirs have an eerily blue tint when seen from the air, which I've put down to the presence of naturally occurring copper salts in the bedrock.

In Portugal in some pools near olive groves, and vineyards it's possible to observe a blue tint on the water, probably from leachate collected from these fields. Probably it is the same case in southern Spain?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back