• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wake up Wisconsin! (1 Viewer)

Joe1980

Ok, I see not much has been happening in this forum since August. I say we start livening up this joint. We outta post things now and again to keep things alive, so I'll start.

I'll start with how things are lately relating to birds. I had a flock of 6 female brown-headed cowbirds come to my yard and eat in the bird feeders yesterday. They were really dark in color, which threw me for a loop. Also, according to my books, they are out of range here in winter. Also, I'll be going on my great Snowy Owl expidition soon. It's my winter goal to see and photograph one, and low-and-behold, I live 1/2 mile from the Horicon Marsh, so I should have good odds of seeing one. Until next time!

Joe

The state subforums here are really dead, sadly.

I had a good Thanksgiving visit to La Crosse, which I noted in the trip reports subforum. It was cold but dry, which is a good trade IMO. I was disappointed that no pine siskins appeared in my area. Robins were off the chart. I saw a few unexpected bluebirds and some purple finches mixed in with the house finches, at least. Plenty of crows, hawks and eagles, and a few tufted titmice and creepers...

Report: http://www.pbase.com/bkrownd/20101124

You got to see some titmice?? Wow, never seen one, and wish I did. They seem like they'd be entertaining birds to have hanging around. Pine siskins are hit and miss. Last year I saw my first one, right here in my yard too. Had a few purple finches in my yard about a month ago as well, a first for my yard as well. Its tough to get out birding in the winter, especially with all the snow we get. We got 12" last weekend here, and now they are saying 4-6" tonight. Its adding up fast, which isn't usual for December. Growing up, I can remember that it was a big deal to have a white Christmas, because we rarely had snow by then. Now a days we have a couple feet by Christmas. Must be that global warming.... 3:)

I see 1-4 titmouse most years when visiting La Crosse - I suspect usually I'm seeing the same individuals every day, so not many of them. I very seldom see them around Minneapolis-Saint Paul the week before. Must be a habitat preference.

I was surprised to see a male/female pair of cardinals in the yard early this morning and I enjoyed getting a close-up view with my old Minolta 12x50 binoculars. What a pretty pair!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back