• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro Fake (1 Viewer)

dries1

I believe this to be a fake on the Bay, 12X42 never heard of it.

buyers beware.

Andy W.

Attachments

• fake 12X42 swaro.jpg
    fake 12X42 swaro.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 711
  • fake 12X42 swaro1.jpg
    fake 12X42 swaro1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 437
The Swarovski nameplate seems to have been prised off something.

If fake, the seller should be reported and banned.

Surprised there aren't many Swarovski fakes reported.

Hello all,
This binocular raises several interesting points

Andy,
A high quality 12x42 would be a useful companion to my EL SV 12x50 - much as a 10x32 is to a 10x42
I find my preferences are increasingly 7x for general and offhand use, and otherwise 12x for significantly greater detail from braced/rested positions

Binastro,
It’s the first clearly fake Swarovski binocular that I’ve seen - marked with the Swarovski name - and I’m somewhat surprised it’s taken this long
I’ve seen various other binoculars with screen printed hawk logos, and no other identifying markings, offered for sale along the lines of ‘possibly Swarovski’

In contrast, clearly fake Swarovski telescopic sights have been offered for some time
The units are marked Swarovski, and come with matching Swarovski style packaging (having both Swarovski and hawk logo markings on a cheap corrugated cardboard carton)
They are offered in quantities of up to 200 on the Chinese sales site AliExpress and are described as ‘imitation’

Hwinbermuda,
Unfortunately the information in the link (see the attached copy) is fundamentally wrong

Neither the name or logo are ‘engraved’ on Swarovski Optik binoculars
- on the original Porro prism, exposed metal/leatherette covered binoculars, the name was screen printed
- and the hawk logo was never screen printed on SO binoculars

Screen printing of the branding details is not used on rubber armour covered units
A) The Swarovski name is nearly always on an attached label
(variations: it was/is part of a moulded component on Acron theatre glasses; SL binos; early SLC binos; and current special order/individual focus Porro prism units)

B) The hawk logo is nearly always an attached cast badge
(variations: again it was part of a moulded component on SL x50/x56 and early SLC binos)

As I’ve posted previously
- Alpha-Numeric numbering was first used on a limited basis in 1985, and then universally from 1991
- and A-N numbering can be 8, 9 or 10 digits in total, with both 9 and 10 digits in current use
(see: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=369004 )

Serial numbers are variously located. I’ve attached a table I recently compiled and which should be of general interest
n.b. and as indicated, serial numbers are not found on theatre glasses or loupes

John

Attachments

• text.jpg
    text.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Swarovski Serial Number Locations .pdf
    43.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
It is simply not good enough to sell fakes and call them 'Imitation'.
This is fraud.

From memory in France and Italy both the seller and buyer of fakes could theoretically face jail time.

China seems to be a major player in fakes and 'copies' of all kinds.
At one time it was high quality Chinese goods that were faked elsewhere.

Some perspective (?)

The binocular in question is offered as second hand, with the starting bid set at $2,000 US, the ‘buy it now’ option at $2,700,
and the seller ID has no sales history

If you do an eBay search for '12x42 binoculars’ set to world wide, you get:
- lots of similar looking binos (same basic design, slightly different coverings)
- most with with buy it now prices below $50 US! (so ultra-low quality/ no quality optics)

Considering the unit's pricing verses that of actual used Swarovski SLC’s, this fortunately seems to be an attempt that’s unlikely to succeed
However, as with fishing . . . all that’s needed is one bite

As always, it’s Buyer Beware (or as the watch sergeant on Hill Street Blues always used to say at the end of shift briefings 'Let's be careful out there')

John

Last edited:

Attachments

• Lozack Hyena.jpg
    Lozack Hyena.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
John

That isn't just khaki, its, like, totally tactical camo!

Perfect for those discrete trips to Cape Peron, down the road at Rockingham.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back