• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which model is more advanced? (1 Viewer)

gonz33

Greetings to all, I want to buy a Swarovski binocular that is 12x50 or 15x56 I love those 2 magnifications, but I have a question, which model currently of the Swarovski is the most advanced (EL 12X50 or SLC 15X56) I want to buy the most technologically advanced model , Thank you.

The EL SV was designed first, and the 15x56 was updated more recently.

They are both advanced, and the coatings are also at a high level.

The sizes are very different, the 12x50 can be handheld, but a 15x56 should be tripod mounted,
so you will have to decide on which you prefer.

Jerry

As Jerry says, "advanced" doesn't mean much in relation to these binoculars. The Swarovision has a more "complex" lens system, incorporating field flattening elements, but the SLC is a top of the line instrument as well with the highest level of coatings, glass, etc.

Justin

Gonz33,

If you want to get some info on both binoculars go to the website Scopeviews in the UK, he has done reviews on both.

Andy W.

Hi Gonz33,

Recently, I was also trying to decide between the EL 12s and the SLC 15s and I ultimately ended up with the SLCs. They are a pretty dang amazing pair of binoculars.

As Jerry said, I use them tripod mounted almost all of the time.

To help make my decision I read and reread the reviews on scopeviews that Andy recommended. Some of the best reviews that I have seen anywhere.

I wrote my thoughts on my 15s here: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=370386

I don't know which is more advanced technologically, nor do I have the expertise to understand what that would mean, but I highly recommend the SLCs regardless.

-as you were, q

It seems to me there is a noticeable difference in the potential use cases for the 12x50 EL vs the 15x56 SLC. Size and magnification to start. What are you hoping to view? Do you need the larger aperture to allow for more light or do you want something manageable in size? As earlier posters noted, both series offer advanced technology with slightly different wrinkles.

It seems to me there is a noticeable difference in the potential use cases for the 12x50 EL vs the 15x56 SLC. Size and magnification to start. What are you hoping to view? Do you need the larger aperture to allow for more light or do you want something manageable in size? As earlier posters noted, both series offer advanced technology with slightly different wrinkles.

I can enjoy both, but my question is which of the two models is new or newer?

Thanks.

Jose.

I can enjoy both, but my question is which of the two models is new or newer?

Thanks.

Jose.

Jose

Your question is not so easy to answer. As a full new model launch then I would guess the EL is the newest BUT SLC has since been modified (one change was to increase the close-focus distance) but it is arguable that this does not make it a 'new model', only a 'recently modified' one. I hope Swaro enthusiasts will step in here if I have got this wrong.

Lee

Greetings to all, I want to buy a Swarovski binocular that is 12x50 or 15x56 I love those 2 magnifications, but I have a question, which model currently of the Swarovski is the most advanced (EL 12X50 or SLC 15X56) I want to buy the most technologically advanced model , Thank you.
You could make the argument for either line.

The SV's have a field flattener optical design that gives a sharp to the edge of the FOV view. The also have Schmidt-Pechan (S-P) prisms (dielectrically coated).

The ×56mm SLC's {[EDIT]: corrected as per John's following post - thanks! - ("except the 15×" which is thought to have a flattening element of some sort)} don't feature the field flatteners of the SV, and some people even prefer it this way. They have Abbe-Koenig (A-K) prisms which are 100% internally reflecting. As such they should be a couple of % brighter (which is hard to practically detect, if not impossible), though don't forget that exit pupil size will more likely have a greater effect.

Every time I have compared the two directly, I have come up with a different favourite depending on the conditions.

The only difference of any real effect for me is the weight. The ×50 SV is nicely hand holdable (in 10× , the 12× was oddly much more shaky for me) despite its kilo weight, but I find the SLC heavy - very heavy. It's no fun hand holding that for me, and I'd want a harness rather than have it hanging around my neck.

It's very much going to be a matter of personal preference. :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Regarding Field Flattening in the EL SV compared to the SLC

While Field Flattening is an integral part of the EL SV specification - and it’s not considered to be an SLC characteristic - the 15x56 is the exception in the SLC line

See Roger Vine’s review which includes a comparison photo of the viewed image of the 15x56 compared to that of the EL SV 10x50:http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/Swaro15x56SLCHD.htm

The SLC’s Tech Data sheet indicates that the 15x56 has an extra lens in each barrel compared to it’s 8x and 10x counterparts, presumedly to enable an FF design eyepiece

The reason for FF in the 15x56 is probably based upon it’s perceived primary use - long range viewing including for astronomy

So there is one less point of technological distinction between the choices - whoops, sorry about that Jose!

John

Attachments

• Technical SLC2 (10:13).pdf
    512.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Jose

The current 15x56 was introduced in 2013, and is model 58291
(the previous model - which is a totally different design - was produced to 2013, and is model 58191)

All current x56 models have a serial number starting with the letter N (the earlier model started with D)

MODEL NUMBER LOCATION
The model number is not marked on the binocular, but is part of the UPC number which is on the box label (see the example from the web)

On the label:
- UPC stands for Universal Product Code, and
- EAN stands for European Article Number (it’s otherwise known as the IAN - International AN)
Both the numbers and the associated bar codes are designed for computerised stock management

WHAT’S IN THE NUMBER
The UPC is 12 digits with 3 components:
- the first 6 digits comprise the company code (Swarovski Optik)
- the next 5 digits, the model number (in this case the current 15x56)
- the last digit is an algorithmic check digit

AND TO FILL IN THE MISSING DETAILS
The EAN is 13 digits with 3 components:
- the first 3 digits comprise the country code (Austria)
- the next 4 digits, the company code
- the last 6 digits the product number

If you need the model number when ordering, it will be the UPC one, 58291

Happy viewing
John

Attachments

• 15x56 label.jpg
    15x56 label.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Jose

The current 15x56 was introduced in 2013, and is model 58291
(the previous model - which is a totally different design - was produced to 2013, and is model 58191)

All current x56 models have a serial number starting with the letter N (the earlier model started with D)

MODEL NUMBER LOCATION
The model number is not marked on the binocular, but is part of the UPC number which is on the box label (see the example from the web)

On the label:
- UPC stands for Universal Product Code, and
- EAN stands for European Article Number (it’s otherwise known as the IAN - International AN)
Both the numbers and the associated bar codes are designed for computerised stock management

WHAT’S IN THE NUMBER
The UPC is 12 digits with 3 components:
- the first 6 digits comprise the company code (Swarovski Optik)
- the next 5 digits, the model number (in this case the current 15x56)
- the last digit is an algorithmic check digit

AND TO FILL IN THE MISSING DETAILS
The EAN is 13 digits with 3 components:
- the first 3 digits comprise the country code (Austria)
- the next 4 digits, the company code
- the last 6 digits the product number

If you need the model number when ordering, it will be the UPC one, 58291

Happy viewing
John

Another doubt that comes to my mind, because the EL 12x50 model costs more money than the SLC 15x56.

Thanks John.

Jose.

The reason for FF in the 15x56 is probably based upon it’s perceived primary use - long range viewing including for astronomy

John

John

Gilmore Girl in private correspondence recently commented that the FF in Zeiss's FL10x32 (which was pre EL SV!) was likely there to make the best use of the sweet spot and perhaps this is also true of the SLC with highest magnification.

Lee

Not all Field Flatteners are created equal ! :cat:

There are a few bins that have a field flattening 'element' yet don't exhibit the SV's sharp to the edge view - that's a pretty deliberate, integrated design.

The 15×56 SLC did look pretty good in the review posted though, however, along with the handy size reduction from the previous iteration, I note that they pinched a bit of Fov as well, going from 69°AFov down to 63°AFov ......

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back