• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canon 7d with which lens (1 Viewer)

danevansBOP

I have just purchased a cannon 7D mk1 and I'm looking for a good lens.

I have been look at 3 lens but would like any advice you guys can give me.

I aiming to do birds in flight shots which is my main target. the 3 lens I have been looking at are;
Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD Lens
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens

Any advice which one is best. I mostly take pictures of birds of prey so some aren't so close.

Cheers guys

I have a 7d mk1 and option 3 of your three choices and for BIF, I haven't been disappointed in terms of what I can capture.

Given the chance, a 7d mk2 and the Mk2 100-400 would be better though :)

Option 2 - the 400mm/5.6L. If you buy the 100 - 400 you are going to be using it at the 400mm end. The fixed lens is a better lens than the 100-400mm at 400mm. The perceived flexibility of the zoom is much over-rated for what you are going to be doing. Get the best option and be done with it.

Having used all three lenses here is my 2p's worth:-
I certainly prefer the 400/5.6 over the 100-400 MkI. I have also owned the Tamron 150-600 but my recommendation to you would be the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary. It is better than the Tammy IMO (which I owned for 6 months).
The 400/5.6 is a superb lightweight lens but if you are shooting long distance stuff then the Siggy 150-600 C beats it easily IMHO. I owned both the 400/5.6 and 150-600 at the same time for several months and did several 'tests' - Shooting the same birds from the same distance and then cropping the 400/5.6 to the same FOV as the Siggy at 600mm - in all cases the Siggy yielded better fine detail. I also tried the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc against the 150-600 at around 560mm and again the 150-600 was best and also faster focussing. Shooting both at 400mm the 400/5.6 is best but not by a lot - if you are hand holding then for me the 3 or 4 stop OS of the Siggy makes it a better lens even at 400 mm.
Having shot probably 100k of shots with the 400/5.6 I am its biggest fan but these new third party 150-600 lenses are a boon for anyone who wants a relatively cheap and light weight 600mm lens.
I have also used the Siggy 150-600 C with a 1.4x tc giving 840mm - AF slows down of course (used it on the7D2 and 5D3) but is well usable - I do like to use a tripod when using this combo but results a surprising good considering you are at f9.

Last edited:
Canon 400mm

Hi

I have owned and used both the fixed canon 400mm and the 100-400mm. The fixed 400mm for me was the better quality lens, and photographing wildlife you will be using the larger end of the scale most of the time. My 100-400 was not as sharp as the fixed, however mine may have been just a soft one as others out there have fantastic clear crips results.

If you can find a good 100-400 the versatility of this lens gives you more options for E.G if the subject comes toward you, you can just zoom back a bit, with the 400 a few steps back are required. Saying that I have a canon zoom lens and my experience is that having to move back/zoom out does not happen too often.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back