• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for birdwatchers or ornithologists from the National Quiet Zone (1 Viewer)

Purple Heron

I would really like to compare notes with birdwatchers or ornithologists from the National Quiet Zone. I believe there are no mobile communications towers there. Where I live, in Greece, I have been noticing serious declines in bird numbers since 4G came online (see attachment). If you live in the National Quiet Zone, are you seeing diminishing bird numbers? Are they resident birds or migratory birds? Any info would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Birds and Trees of Northern Greece2.docx
    65.3 KB · Views: 89
It may be that 4G is getting installed first where there are more people, so that the declining numbers of birds are a consequence of human pressures rather than EM pollution.
That said, you pose an interesting hypothesis. Presumably 4G zones should show less productive nests, something that field work could verify. Here in the US however, I don't know of any National Quiet Zone apart from the area around Green Banks, WVa, where there is a several mile wide space reserved for sensitive radio telescopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back