• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Hawke Binoculars - ED X (1 Viewer)

I would say that the optical quality is equal or better to the Torics. I like the Hawke ergonomics better than the Torics. The Hawke Frontier comes with a very nice semi hard case and a very decent neckstrap. You can get a case for the Torics for $12 but it is not as nice. If both were the same magnification, I would choose the Hawke binoculars. The Hawkes have a 426 ft field of view vs the Toric 377 ft. Quite a diffference. I will keep both for the time being as the Torics are 10x and the Hawke's are 8x. The Torics actually remind me of the Zenray Primes I owned briefly.

Attachments

• IMG_2623.jpg
    IMG_2623.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_2625.jpg
    IMG_2625.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 537
Hi, now that these are out a while and more have had a chance to have a look at them, any new thoughts?. What is the build quality like, any issues with CA due to poor coating of the interior barrels.

Regards
Shane

Build quality is very good. I have both 10 and 8 x. Both are very nice optics. I will be selling mine though as I bought them to compare to some Swaro’s. They are not as great as the Swaro’s but very nice optics for the price.

Just posted a thread and then saw this one. Considering the Hawke Frontier ED X 8x42 after reading the reviews on the BBR website.

Now that they are a couple of years old anybody want to comment on them?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on what's important to you as an individual, but I briefly had the 8x42 EDX. I found the center hinge much too loose, focus much too fast and very touchy, and eyecups that didn't extend far enough. Optics were on par with my buddy's Viper HD to my 58 yr old eyes. They are just another Chinese clone that has wide FOV of around 425', of which there are several. They went down the road pretty quickly.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back