• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZEISS TERRA ED 8x25 pocket (1 Viewer)

Bencw

Just curious if anyone has tried these yet? I have only just seen this model, so guess recent, maybe new? it looks similar to the Swaro pocket, but almost half the weight and almost half the price of that.

Attachments

• terra8x25.jpg
    terra8x25.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 578
BH Photo has had them backordered ever since they added them to their site; the date of "expected availability" is October 30. Adorama doesn't even have them listed yet. I'm guessing they are not really available yet, at least not in the U.S.

I'm hoping the 25 mm lenses in this binocular would make eye placement less finicky than in the alpha 8x20 roofs; assuming its optical quality is similar to the other Terras, this would be a winner in my book. The Swaro 8x25 pockets look nice, but I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on a binocular with a 357'/1000yd fov and optics with less-than-perfect sharpness. At the Terra ED's price point, I'm willing to put up with some compromises :)

Last edited:
Hi Perseid, they seem to be availble in the UK, but maybe they have only just gone on sale. It looks good on paper.

I tried these out at the Bird Fair and they were great fun and easy on the eye placement.

The positioning of the diopter adjuster at the bottom of the hinge keeps it out of the way but actually too much out of the way. Its really tricky to adjust. Once you have set this you won't want to mess with it!

Having said that they performed nicely enough although it wasn't possible at the Fair to A/B them against competing models.

Lee

Last edited:
Hello,

The FOV seems a little narrow: 118.5m @1,000m. However, if it ticks more boxes like size, weight, contrast, resolution and lack of annoying aberrations, then I can understand buying one. A century, ago, long before modern coatings, Goerz sold 8x24 binoculars, with a slightly narrower FOV, with some success. It might not be my my primary binocular, but it could work as a travel binocular.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Just curious if anyone has tried these yet? I have only just seen this model, so guess recent, maybe new? it looks similar to the Swaro pocket, but almost half the weight and almost half the price of that.

At about $300.00 it costs around $500.00 less than the CL Pocket and is about the same weight as noted by Mark.

Bob

At about $300.00 it costs around $500.00 less than the CL Pocket and is about the same weight as noted by Mark.

Bob

Bob:

I like the price and I think they are worth a look. We will hear more
reports from users once they are available.

I think the 8x25 size should be better than the small 8x20 pockets.

But, we have recently seen 2 posters on the forum put their new Swaro.
8x25 CL's up for sale on the classifieds here.

I tried the Swaro. CL 8x25 in a store setting, and I still found the eye
placement finicky, just like my other pocket binoculars.

It does come down to budget spent, and for how much you will use this
size binocular. An 8x30 will beat the pants off any 8x25 in ease of use.

Jerry

Jerry,

At 17mm they have good eye relief. I think the biggest problem is their small diameter eye cups and I don't know if they can be made much bigger by redesigning the rubber cushions on them. It is harder for me to brace them up underneath my eyebrows. The 8x30 Companion, which has 15mm eye relief but wider and thicker eye cups is easier for me to find the right placement for them on my brows. Even my Pentax 9x28 is easier to use.

Sometimes I wonder whether the old soft fold down rubber eye cups like my older Bushnell 7x26 Custom Classic has would work better--although I wouldn't fold them down.

Bob

You're right Mark, I think Ben must have been looking at the specs for the CL Companion and not the CL Pocket.

Lee

Whoops, still it is a bit lighter !
Like Bob, I have always found compacts a bit unsatisfactory, had Leica's and Zeiss and Nikon, sold them all but kept the Zeiss 100 anniversary 8x20 design selection model with Bob's favoured fold back rubber cups as it was just about the best of them to use despite being older than some I got rid of. But, then I splashed out and bought the Swaro 8x25 pocket and I have to say I think it's great, easily the best compact I have ever used. Then I spotted this new Zeiss and initially just wondered if I should have waited. Look forward to reviews, it will be interesting to see what people think of them.

Zeiss has had a way with design, I recall this photo of an older
opera glass.
How about the elegant classy view of this one.

The Terra has its own nice design features.

Jerry

Attachments

• Zeiss opera.gif
    Zeiss opera.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 504
The FOV seems a little narrow: 118.5m @1,000m.

Hi,

but that's just the same as the other compacts (Swaro CL 8x25 119m, Zeiss Victory 8x20 118m, Leica Ultravid 8x20 113m).

So they (and the Swaro CL at a much higher price) are still pocket bins - slightly less finicky with placement, a little bit brighter in bad light and a bit heavier for steadier grip, but still far away from a general use bin like an 8x30.

I am also interested in how good they are but I guess they won't make me abandon my Conquest Compact - they're the lightest of the (current - some legacy Zeiss 8x20 are lighter) bunch, which is the point and the differences to the better models are marginal.

Joachim

I had a look at Birdfair too and found them neither fun or easy on the eye. The sample I tried wasn't sharp, the colours were dull and the sweetspot small. I asked the lady from Zeiss if they were all that bad and she just smiled and shrugged her shoulders so I presume the answer was yes so I moved on. You can get a lot better for less elsewhere IMO.

David

I had a look at Birdfair too and found them neither fun or easy on the eye. The sample I tried wasn't sharp, the colours were dull and the sweetspot small. I asked the lady from Zeiss if they were all that bad and she just smiled and shrugged her shoulders so I presume the answer was yes so I moved on. You can get a lot better for less elsewhere IMO.

David

Certainly, setting the dioptre was not fun at all, but when accomplished I found the sharpness quite acceptable albeit not exceptional. I tried the 8x25 several times and got the eye-placement right each time, which is something I can't claim with my 8x20s.

As for the question 'are they all that bad?' , the lady probably thought: 'Here's that cheekie chappy again with his zany sense of humour'. :-O

Lee

I have a new pair of the Swaro CL 8x25 and can't fault them. That said I'm planning on getting a pair of the new Terra's just because. Should be interesting to compare them.

You can get a lot better for less elsewhere IMO.

David

For me the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 does not even figure.

Why bear such a huge premium for the brand name alone when other choices in the market stand out head and shoulders above ?

Consider the Eschenbach Trophy F 8x25 B ED (EAN : 4048347501244).

Ask yourself why you would settle for the Zeiss guarantee of two years when the Eschenbach comes with a ten (10) year guarantee, and a 140m field ??

For you to judge if it's a lot better, it's certainly a lot less ...

Best wishes,

Sure is some spec for the Eschenbach 144m fov..... (like the Nikon Sportstar/Trailblazer and the cheap Celestron Outland) but with ed and dielectric.

http://www.eschenbach-optik.com/en/Product_table.1800.0.html?&no_cache=1&L=2

I'd love to see that but I bet it's very soft off centre and even then the view will look tiny compared to a full size bin or even a 28mm.

My Vistron is still the champ in 8x25 for me. Large view and clean to the edges @ 122m 7deg and very comfortable to hold, easy peesy eye placement and even works with thick gloves on with the big focus wheel. Just doesn't fold but it's small enough.

Shame no longer made or a newer updated version.

Been reading the Vortex Viper 8x28 is good which might be the equivalent of a good version of my Everest 8x28 -currently receiving lifesaving treatment in a German clinic- which I had sort of begun to like. Still heard nothing more about it from them but I think it does need extensive surgery (way more than it's worth) so maybe it's gone back to China. Bresser don't seem to be the just send a replacement sort but perhaps getting it stripped down and rebuilt will be better than getting a new one and it breaking down after two uses?

Last edited:
I'd love to see that but I bet it's very soft off centre

Not necessarily ...

Maybe my reply is coming in late, but I just want to tell that redcently I made exact the same search for a 8x25 (or that size segment) binocular with good optics and large FOV. I settled for the new Eschenbach Trophy F 8x25ED. The FOV (144m) may sound like immagination, but I have compared it with my Zeiss Conquest 8x32HD (140m) and it appears to be true. I am happy with them and I wrote a positive review in amazon.de recently. Only problem was that I had noticed some specimens that were not clean inside.

My conclusion was

"So, in brief, if you are lucky and get a good specimen (Eschenbach's product control should be better) then you have a compact binocular that performs almost like a full size bino. Easy to hold, good FoV, large sharp sweetspot, true colors, low CA, reasonable light transmission, and large and distinct focus wheel. But I reduce one star due to that certain amount of gamble involved when buying them (But amazon and other sellers often have good return policies)."

Best wishes,

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back