• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

finally, something to get me going... (1 Viewer)

birdpotter

I have had such bad luck lately with not only finding time to go out, but also with finding birds when I do go out. One place I love to frequent and have always been able to get some good observing in, gave me nothing but Blue Jays and Chickadees the last time i was there. Love those guys, but that is all I heard or saw the whole time I was there. BUT this is not about that.
Today at the Farmers' Market, my son and I were just getting to leave, when looking out over the Hudson River we both spotted an eagle. We ran to the river wall and watched this wonderful bird swoop and dive and glide over the water, being attacked by first a Sharp-shinned Hawk, and then crows, who seemed to have second thoughts about messing with the eagle for some reason. I believe it was an immature Bald Eagle. We watched until it caught a fish and flew off. The crazy thing was that no one else at the Farmers' Market was paying any attention to it.
I can't figure people out.
Perfect start to the day though.

Best
Elizabeth

What a wonderful bird to get you going again :clap: Being on the wrong side of the Atlantic the only Bald Eagles I've seen have been on tv but they certainly look an awesome bird! A trip to the Americas IS in order one day methinks!

birdpotter said:
The crazy thing was that no one else at the Farmers' Market was paying any attention to it.
I can't figure people out.

I've seen this happen so many times I sometimes wonder if folk walk around with their eyes and ears tightly shut!!! :eek!:
I was at the Wallsend Swallow Ponds a few years ago ( late 80's ) in mid-August at approx 3pm and saw a female Roe Deer and her fawn walking through the shallows of the pond. What amazed me was the amount of folk walking along the nearby bridlepath who didn't see her! Even a birdwatcher who was scanning the Pond missed her!!!!!!! Now THAT is unforgivable ;)

Gill !!! Now THAT is unforgivable ;)[/QUOTE said:
Totally unforgivable! I have seen deer ignored so many times. It really boggles the mind.

My son and I weren't being quiet about it either. We were oohhhing and ahhhing and shouting 'cool' and 'whoa'. Nobody bothered coming over to see what we were looking at.
I suppose because it wasn't distinctly a Bald Eagle (immature=brown) that people just thought we were looking at some dumb old bird or something. I don't know. How anyone could dismiss something so huge and amazing is beyond me.

When I've seen stuff in the past and been really excited about it I just want to share it with EVERYONE! I've been known to point things out to folks and even lower my scope on it's tripod to let children have a look through.
Even 'just' the tiny beasties like bugs and caterpillars etc get my attention and I do whatever I can to 'educate the masses' LOL

I find that a lot of folk ARE genuinely thrilled by being able to see such things - its only the odd ( very odd in my opinion LOL ) person who is scathing of such things! They have no idea of what they are missing, do they!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back