• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

On Wisconsin! (1 Viewer)

For the buntings/longspur and horned lark you need to look for small birds in mixed flocks on fields; those I remember from way back were flocks where we hit them randomly driving through the landscape and then stopping to see what they were. I remember house finch as much more common then purple.

I lived in WI for 2½ years, but back mid 90ties.

Niels

I'll probably have a better chance for those three while I'm in MSP with some transportation. Unfortunately while in La Crosse I'm stuck in my grandparents' outer-suburban neighborhood. They're right up against the bluffs so it isn't too bad, but not a lot of habitat variety.

I am starting to gear up for my MN/WI visit mentally - checking the MN and WI bird e-mail lists, NWR tour dates, TNC volunteer dates, eBird data, etc. I started reading Helen Hoover's "A Place In The Woods". I read another of her books during last year's trip. Makes me realize how much I miss out on by not being able to live in the places where I do my outings. Just appearing for the day here and there doesn't properly connect you to nature - living out there would give an entirely different perspective. I would love to have a place in the boreal forest and no work to distract me from the experience of being there. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back