• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Active flight in Archaeopteryx (1 Viewer)

Fred Ruhe

Netherlands
Dennis F. A. E. Voeten, Jorge Cubo, Emmanuel de Margerie, Martin Röper, Vincent Beyrand, Stanislav Bureš, Paul Tafforeau & Sophie Sanchez, 2018

Wing bone geometry reveals active flight in Archaeopteryx

Nature Communications. 9: Article number 923. doi:10.1038/s41467-018-03296-8

Abstract: http://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-03296-8

Archaeopteryx is an iconic fossil taxon with feathered wings from the Late Jurassic of Germany that occupies a crucial position for understanding the early evolution of avian flight. After over 150 years of study, its mosaic anatomy unifying characters of both non-flying dinosaurs and flying birds has remained challenging to interpret in a locomotory context. Here, we compare new data from three Archaeopteryx specimens obtained through phase-contrast synchrotron microtomography to a representative sample of archosaurs employing a diverse array of locomotory strategies. Our analyses reveal that the architecture of Archaeopteryx’s wing bones consistently exhibits a combination of cross-sectional geometric properties uniquely shared with volant birds, particularly those occasionally utilising short-distance flapping. We therefore interpret that Archaeopteryx actively employed wing flapping to take to the air through a more anterodorsally posteroventrally oriented flight stroke than used by modern birds. This unexpected outcome implies that avian powered flight must have originated before the latest Jurassic

Free pdf: http://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-03296-8.pdf

Enjoy,

Fred.

i know this wont mean much in erudite company but i find this material fascinating. if i had my life over i would be seriously considering this type of research! true, the first fascination for me was when TV displayed the idea of brightly coloured rather than grey dinosaurs ... but the tools you have now along with computer modelling make it a world of wonder. i am sure for you it is hard slog but it seems romantic and creative mixed with scientific objectivity and method, ideal!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back