• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Refugio Lomas Barbudel (1 Viewer)

Robert L Jarvis

Robert L Jarvis
Does anyone have any information on this site which lies adjacent to Palo Verde in the north.

Also what is the state of the entrance road into Palo Verde.

I can answer the second question: the road from Bagaces to Palo Verde is gravel in good conditions when I visited around Dec 25. The road inside Palo Verde to the river was also in reasonable shape, a little more uneven than the road outside. The road leading to the other section (a left turn as you are a couple of KM inside the park) was firm but uneven, and I am not sure I would have liked it in a low clearance vehicle; in rain definitely a place for 4wd. Even the gravel road outside the park looked like it had been soft during the wet season. Rain is not expected to be a problem during your visit if I remember your timing correctly.

We had very little time left when we drove towards the other sector, but the drive was definitely worth it: our only Bare-throated Tiger-Herons, Muscovy Ducks, and Laughing Falcon of the trip came down there, and we did not make it all the way to the end.

Scarlet Macaws near the river at the end of the main road through the park, Thicket Tinamou at the trail called La Roca, to mention another couple of highlights.

Niels

PS: we stayed at Rancho Curabande just north of Liberia and made the visit to Palo Verde as a one day visit from there. I wish there was a slightly better accommodation inside the park, the limits on visiting hours is a pain (8-4).

Does anyone have any information on this site which lies adjacent to Palo Verde in the north.

Also what is the state of the entrance road into Palo Verde.

Lomas has one very nice trail with a gallery forest that runs along moving stream. Very pretty. Some of the perimeter area is also pretty good birding. It begins, if I remember, at their headquarters. I've been twice now, and had some nice birds on the way in. Double-striped Thick-knee if I remember and I believe a Black-and-White Owl once while walking the grounds. Olivaceous Woodcreeper also comes to mind, but I can't remember much of anything else. It's been about 10 years, so I'm not sure if it's the same habitat on the way in.

I remember thinking that the gallery trail there felt significantly different from habitat in Palo Verde, but it's been a long time.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back