• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gambia Field Guide. (1 Viewer)

Barred Wobbler

Which one?

Birds of Senegal and The Gambia by Nick Borrow & Ron Demey (Helm)

or

A Field Guide to the Birds of the Gambia and Senegal by Clive Barlow, Tim Wacher and Tony Disley

PostScript books have Birds Of West Africa at £16.99. It is worth a look and I’ve always had great service from them. No I don’t work there ;-))

PostScript books have Birds Of West Africa at £16.99. It is worth a look and I’ve always had great service from them. No I don’t work there ;-))

But I would prefer a book that did not cover hundreds of species I have no chance of seeing. I would go for one of the two in the original post.

Steve

It was only a suggestion, I’m sure BW can make his own mind up. Why do I bother?

I wouldn’t take it personally. A fair suggestion but too many similar looking species crammed into the WA book which you’ve no chance of seeing in Gambia. The Gambia/Senegal books at least narrows everything down plus the illustrations are larger and clearer due to space.

It was only a suggestion, I’m sure BW can make his own mind up. Why do I bother?

Sorry you took offence - none intended obviously.

The West Africa book is worth having but my own stance is that when you are birding a particular area it is best to have a book that covers that area in detail without the distraction of loads of species that don't occur. I quite like the idea of good regional guides such as West Africa or the Indian subcontinent being used to produce smaller books covering a much smaller area.

Steve

I would go for Borrow

I have both but prefer Borrow with it's concise text and maps on the opposite page.
However the Barlow guide has a lot of useful text including habitat and breeding information albeit at the back of the book with very little information on the facing page.
My Barlow is also i hard back which makes it slightly heavier.

I have both but prefer Borrow with it's concise text and maps on the opposite page.
However the Barlow guide has a lot of useful text including habitat and breeding information albeit at the back of the book with very little information on the facing page.
My Barlow is also i hard back which makes it slightly heavier.

Thanks Dan. I must say that was the first one I looked at, then I noticed the other, so I thought I'd ask.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back