• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CL vs. CL II vs. SV? (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
Anyone have a photo or can take one of the previous CL 30mm, new CL 30mm, and an SV 32mm in the same photo?

Just wondering about the size difference.

Last edited:
Anyone have a photo or can take one of the previous CL 30mm, new CL 30mm, and an SV 32mm in the same photo?

Just wondering about the size difference.

Voilà!
The new CL is marginally longer than the previous version, the EL is almost an inch longer than the old CL.

Canip

Attachments

• 22648BA5-FA0E-4647-89BD-E9FB17F33E08.jpeg
    22648BA5-FA0E-4647-89BD-E9FB17F33E08.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 353
Voilà!
The new CL is marginally longer than the previous version, the EL is almost an inch longer than the old CL.

Canip

I suspect performance is in similar order. Best, better, good.

And you should know, you don't purchase binoculars on size alone.

Swarovski is just like every other mfr. they know how to place their
optics in their proper place.

Jerry

Voilà!

Canip

Thanks man!

I am quite surprised the new CL looks to be practically the same size as the outgoing CL I have.

I'm guessing you own and use both the previous generation and new generation CL? What do you think?

Thanks again!

Thanks man!

I am quite surprised the new CL looks to be practically the same size as the outgoing CL I have.

I'm guessing you own and use both the previous generation and new generation CL? What do you think?

Thanks again!

The new CL is in fact slightly longer than the old one, but really not much, and the weights are almost the same.
The new CL is a completely different experience. I got it in late 2017 and was immediately impressed with it, the positive reviews are in my view fully justified. The only thing I don’t like about it is the diopter adjustment mechanism. It is not cheap, though, if you compare prices with e.g. a Conquest HD.

I had bought the older version in 2015 and liked it for it‘s compact size and light weight, but never understood why Swarovski designed and built it the way they did: optics okay but not really exciting, field of view unimpressive, etc. Mechanically it is good, but that‘s not enough for a Swaro in my view. I am not using it much anymore (if I wasn‘t collecting binos, I would probably give it away).

The EL is still in another league, so I am not sure I would fully agree with statements that the new CL is the EL for people who do not like flat field optics. But again, Swaro has done a very nice job with the new CL.

Last edited:
The new CL is in fact slightly longer than the old one, but really not much, and the weights are almost the same.
The new CL is a completely different experience. I got it in late 2017 and was immediately impressed with it, the positive reviews are in my view fully justified. The only thing I don’t like about it is the diopter adjustment mechanism. It is not cheap, though, if you compare prices with e.g. a Conquest HD.

I had bought the older version in 2015 and liked it for it‘s compact size and light weight, but never understood why Swarovski designed and built it the way they did: optics okay but not really exciting, field of view unimpressive, etc. Mechanically it is good, but that‘s not enough for a Swaro in my view. I am not using it much anymore (if I wasn‘t collecting binos, I would probably give it away).

The EL is still in another league, so I am not sure I would fully agree with statements that the new CL is the EL for people who do not like flat field optics. But again, Swaro has done a very nice job with the new CL.
I agree with you on the new CL 8x30. I liked it better than the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32. It has a slightly smaller FOV but it has better contrast and sharper edges and it is lighter and more compact. Overall, I like the new CL better than the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 for birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back