• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (25 Viewers)

I eventually got to the Moors Pool via the Education Reserve, having decided to park at the Sailing Centre when I discovered that the car park at the Moors was shut! The only notable addition to John's observations were a pair of Kingfishers that flew past me whilst I watched the Sailing Pool from the dell.

After walking along the Salwarpe I called into the Jacobs' hide, where I was joined by Bob Potter and Vern amongst others. Whilst there I saw the following:

Pochard 11 (8 drakes), Shelduck 6, Shoveler 56, GC Grebe 2, Little Grebe 2, Cormorant 31, Snipe 14 (in flight), Lapwing 250+, Water Rail, Kingfisher.

Vern and I then walked around to the West Hide, where, in addition to the above we saw 6 Gadwall (3 pairs). This was a UW year tick for me, taking my total up to 66 species (I think!).

I neglected to count the Teal but John (Upstarts) told me later that he had seen 80+ there.

Good to hear the voice of our own Biking Birder when Vern rang him earlier today. Great to hear you in such good spirits Gary. Most of us at the Warren are keeping up to date with your adventures via your Facebook and blogs. Great stuff mate!:t:

To add to Andy's sighting a kestrel was perched behind east hide. Cettis warblers sang along the east side. A sign of the approaching spring came from a couple of reed bunting singing from the reeds in the NW and East marsh. coot 250+, Water rail x 2 west track and as Andy said 80+ teal feeding on New Zealand pygmy weed in the Broadmeadow pool.

Having seen the little perch that was caught by the experts during there survey not long back :eek!: I thought this might help :t:

pics taken today

Attachments

• ,,c f.jpg
    ,,c f.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 124
  • ,,c f 2 .jpg
    ,,c f 2 .jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Sunday 1st February

Today's round-up, starting with the bird sightings:

MOORS POOL
1 Jack Snipe, 11 Curlew over (12 reported in the A38 field), 6 Gadwall, 3 Shelduck (8 across the reserve), c100 Teal - Dave J counted 119 across the reserve, 51 Shoveler, 6 Pochard, 33 Tufted Duck, c250 Coot, 6 Moorhen, Water Rail, 2 Mute Swan, 3 Canada Geese, 21 Cormorant, 1 Grey Heron, 2 Little Egret flushed by gunfire from the south-west marsh, 2 GC Grebe, 3 Little Grebe, 4 Lesser Redpoll, Kingfisher, Peregrine, 13 Reed Buntings appearing to roost in front of the West Hide, Cetti's Warbler
Two foxes appeared in the south-west marsh and made their way around to the scrub by the East Hide (inside the fox fence).

Craig and Mike were staying late and may have more to add (hopefully)

SAILING POOL
4 GC Grebe, 1 Little Grebe, 6 Tufted Duck, 7 Coot, 130 Canada Geese, Stock Dove over

FLASHES
13 Jack Snipe, 18 Common Snipe, c200 Lapwing, 6 Shelduck first thing, 7 Coot, 7 Moorhen, Herring Gull over, 2 then later 1 Raven, Kingfisher, small parties of Linnet - max count 13, Greylag and Canada Geese in fields

Bittern channels look the dogs at the Moors Pool - great to see some large scale investment in habitat work :t::t:

Last edited:
Flashes work party

Today eleven of us tackled a variety of tasks:

- A thorough sweep of the Flashes found no foxes inside the fence (Phil W mentioned two were inside on Friday)
- Three holes in the fox fence created by the cattle on the eastern side (approx 15 foot, 8 foot and 2 foot) were successfully repaired with additional meshing
- The gate by the "triangle" was shut and secured (any one know why this was open?)
- The gate to the sewage works was secured (John - is the grazier collecting his bits and bobs?)
- Posts hammered in to mark the current extent of the phragmites on the eastern shore; will make the measuring of spread easier
- Several small holes on the western side of the fence were plugged
- The secondary fox fence was checked over and gate secured (John - have have cut the roll of stock fencing that was left in the water and moved it to by the hide)
- The viewing gap at the rear of the main hide looking up towards the transmttter mast buildings was reinstated to its original size (good Wheatear area; another promising area is a manure heap that has appeared just right of Hobden Hall Farm on the skyline viewed from the hide)
- Re-shingling of a number of areas, particularly to assist breeding LRP (no salt plants were harmed in the making of this work party ;))
- The expansion of "flycatcher alley" at the rear of the feeding station into something meaningful this year

We weren't able to get out to de-vegetate the islands due to the high water level; this can wait to the March work party along with any Shelduck box (re)construction.

Many thanks to Craig, Mike W, Steve (its Christmas every day with your cake ;)), Tim, Mary, Des, Graham, John L, Phil W and Derek; special mention to JTB for getting the kit down onto the Flashes in advance. Tracey even out in an appearance to say he wasnt going take part!

Photos to follow.

Last edited:

- A thorough sweep of the Flashes found no foxes inside the fence (Phil W mentioned two were inside on Friday)
- Three holes in the fox fence created by the cattle on the eastern side (approx 15 foot, 8 foot and 2 foot) were successfully repaired with additional meshing
- The gate by the "triangle" was shut and secured (any one know why this was open?)
- The gate to the sewage works was secured (John - is the grazier collecting his bits and bobs?)
- Posts hammered in to mark the current extent of the phragmites on the eastern shore; will make the measuring of spread easier
- The secondary fox fence was checked over and gate secured (John - have have cut the roll of stock fencing that was left in the water and moved it to by the hide)
- The viewing gap at the rear of the hide was reinstated to its original size
- Re-shingling of a number of areas, particularly to assist breeding LRP (no salt plants were harmed in the making of this work party ;))
- The expansion of "flycatcher alley" at the rear of the feeding station into something meaningful this year

We weren't able to get out to de-vegetate the islands due to the high water level; this can wait to the March work party along with any Shelduck box (re)construction.

Many thanks to Craig, Mike W, Steve (its Christmas every day with your cake ;)), Tim, Mary, Des, Graham, John L, Phil W and Derek; special mention to JTB for getting the kit down onto the Flashes in advance. Tracey even out in an appearance to say he wasnt going take part!

Photos to follow.
thanks for that phil felt bad enough as it was, alas 20 mins talking to the samaritans put me right. once again sorry guys do my best for march.

thanks for that phil felt bad enough as it was, alas 20 mins talking to the samaritans put me right. once again sorry guys do my best for march.

No worries mate - we are a sympathetic bunch 8-P Hope you back clears up in time for the next one on the 1st March; you always put a shift in :t:

:-O:-O

- The viewing gap at the rear of the hide was reinstated to its original size

Photos to follow.

Great effort by all, see I can now retire knowing its in good hands8-P only joking - about retiring that is;) John :-O
Phil I will ask about the graziers equipment, but I think we will be having another grazier instead.
Do you need heavy duty mesh along the fox fence running north from the hide.

Last edited:

No excuse really, I heard when you found out Ian wasn't there with the lemon drizzle, you cried off8-P:-O:eat: well that was my excuse;)

Great effort by all, see I can now retire knowing its in good hands8-P only joking - about retiring that is;) John
Phil I will ask about the graziers equipment, but I think we will be having another grazier instead.
Do you need heavy duty mesh along the fox fence running north from the hide.

Mike worked on that project so I will let him respond; my thought was that we need the water level lower to make a proper job of it.

Today's round-up, starting with the bird sightings:

MOORS POOL
, 2 Little Egret flushed by gunfire from the south-west marsh,
Two foxes appeared in the south-west marsh and made their way around to the scrub by the East Hide (inside the fox fence).

Bittern channels look the dogs at the Moors Pool - great to see some large scale investment in habitat work :t::t:

Phil
. did the foxes come from the south of the east hide along the east bank, there is a hole in the fence just down from the seasonal pool.
. where did the shooting come from - the SW marsh/Edy reserve? or where they (egrets) in the SW and gunfire was elsewhere.

. what do you think about the NM work

January ended with a respectable 83 species (Steve mentioned a Tawny Owl calling the Education Reserve on an early start a fortnight or so ago),

Possible additions to the year list in February include:

A grey goose
A winter swan
Barnacle Goose
Goosander
Merlin
Avocet
Oystercatcher
Golden Plover
Woodcock
Green Sandpiper
Mediterranean Gull
Yellow-legged Gull
Barn Owl
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Stonechat
Coal Tit
Siskin
Brambling

Mike worked on that project so I will let him respond; my thought was that we need the water level lower to make a proper job of it.

I will check what levels we had this time last year and adjust accordingly. With a new sluice in situ, it will mean I won't get it right first time but it should be sorted within a few days, thereafter monitor it for the spring.

Phil
. did the foxes come from the south of the east hide along the east bank, there is a hole in the fence just down from the seasonal pool.
. where did the shooting come from - the SW marsh/Edy reserve? or where they (egrets) in the SW and gunfire was elsewhere.

. what do you think about the NM work

We were sat in the West Hide. The foxes appeared relatively close to the hide in the south west (scent marking) before making their way around the marsh. After a few minutes they appeared south of the East Hide on the bank before running straight in front of the hide; we lost where they went after that.

The shooting was close; it was either in and around Hobden Hall Farm buildings or the shoreline of the Sailing Pool.

Didn't have a chance to look properly at the North Moors work; will give you my verdict next Sunday when I am down for the WeBS count.

Mike - in answer to your question about what Shoveler numbers are required to be a site of national importance, currently its the rather precise figure of 148.

We were sat in the West Hide. The foxes appeared relatively close to the hide in the south west (scent marking) before making their way around the marsh. After a few minutes they appeared south of the East Hide on the bank before running straight in front of the hide; we lost where they went after that.

The shooting was close; it was either in and around Hobden Hall Farm buildings or the shoreline of the Sailing Pool.

Didn't have a chance to look properly at the North Moors work; will give you my verdict next Sunday when I am down for the WeBS count.

will sort the fence on Tuesday:t:

Mike - in answer to your question about what Shoveler numbers are required to be a site of national importance, currently its the rather precise figure of 148.

it used to be 120 back in the 80's ie 1% of the national wintering total, thus either a different way of calculating or wintering numbers have increasedB :)

Three views of the super-sized "flycatcher alley". We had our first chat within 5 minutes of completing the work, albeit a Robin,

Attachments

• phils photos 716 (1024x768) (2).jpg
    phils photos 716 (1024x768) (2).jpg
    802.5 KB · Views: 117
  • phils photos 714 (1280x960) (1024x768).jpg
    phils photos 714 (1280x960) (1024x768).jpg
    661.3 KB · Views: 119
  • phils photos 715 (1280x960) (1280x960) (1024x768).jpg
    phils photos 715 (1280x960) (1280x960) (1024x768).jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 104
(1) Mike and Craig demonstrate the size of the medium sized hole
(2) The largest tear, by the oak tree. The damage extended all the way from the double post on the right to where Steve is working on the left hand side of the photo
(3) Mending the above

Attachments

• phils photos 713 (1280x960) (1024x768).jpg
    phils photos 713 (1280x960) (1024x768).jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 144
  • phils photos 710 (1024x768).jpg
    phils photos 710 (1024x768).jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 142
  • phils photos 711 (1024x768).jpg
    phils photos 711 (1024x768).jpg
    555.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
(1) Mike and Craig demonstrate the size of the medium sized hole
(2) The largest tear, by the oak tree. The damage extended all the way from the double post on the right to where Steve is working on the left hand side of the photo
(3) Mending the above

All looking good mate...did you pull up the existing mesh that the cattle had trampled.:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back