• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Magical Land of Oz (1 Viewer)

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
No - nothing to do with Dorothy ! :-O

But a Cinematic feast of some of the most outstanding filming I have seen (I think it even puts the David Rabbit borough stuff in the shade - which is saying something)

https://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/magical-land-of-oz/

Episode 2 just screened on Australian ABC TV featured Wedge-tailed Eagles, Echidnas, Platypus, Kangaroos, Numbats, Palm Cockatoos, Eclectus Parrots, Crocodiles, Diving Tarantulas, and Black Kites.

Outstanding visual feast ! :D ..... I particularly enjoyed the raptors (would love to know how they got so close ! :)

Highly recommended that you catch the reruns, or watch it on the iview streaming service :t:

https://www.screenaustralia.gov.au/the-screen-guide/t/the-magical-land-of-oz-2018/35672/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjACegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3i9uXFtYx6Ev9cNsN3YaL6

Chosun :gh:

Sounds good Chosun.

I wonder if we'll get it here?
Hi Delia :hi:

I'm not sure .... it is aired on the ABC main channel in HD.
It's a 3 part series (~1hr each), and the second one just screened tonight - magnificent ! :t: (the first one was more marine and coastal based). There should be the final episode next Sunday night 19:40 AEDST.

There is a catch up streaming service called iview which should be available over any Internet connection (I think there is a slight delay in posting, and then availability runs for 30 days or so on a rolling basis) ..... I posted a link in the initial post (I think it requires downloading of a free app - not sure of desktop access)
Also, it is apparently available through 'Google play' - last link posted.

The Eagle footage was just beautiful ! :D ..... and the Numbats - just so cute ! :cat:

Hope you get to see it :) :t:

Yeah. Don't think I can manage any of those options. But hopefully the series will be bought by the BBC, National Geographic, Discovery or some such and become available world wide.

If anyone is able to receive Australian TV ABC channel, then episode 2 will be replayed tonight at 11:25pm AEDST (a smidgen over 5 hours from now).

Sadly does not work for me.
The trailers play, but the full videos give a 'technical error with the video stream' message.
Unfortunate, as the trailers are excellent.

3rd Episode on tonight !!!

Sadly does not work for me.
The trailers play, but the full videos give a 'technical error with the video stream' message.
Unfortunate, as the trailers are excellent.
That's a shame. I believe you can run the iview streaming just over the Internet on a range of computing devices, or even download it in app form onto a smartphone.

The 3rd and final episode is on tonight, 7:40pm AEDST (just under 7&1/2hrs from now) on Australian ABC TV main channel.

That's a shame. I believe you can run the iview streaming just over the Internet on a range of computing devices, or even download it in app form onto a smartphone.

The 3rd and final episode is on tonight, 7:40pm AEDST (just under 7&1/2hrs from now) on Australian ABC TV main channel.

Sadly no joy, my Opera browser is not supported and my backup Windows Explorer is not either, would need to switch to Edge.
It seems one gradually exiles oneself by not embracing our current 'share all data' systems.

Sadly no joy, my Opera browser is not supported and my backup Windows Explorer is not either, would need to switch to Edge.
It seems one gradually exiles oneself by not embracing our current 'share all data' systems.
Sorry to hear that, hopefully it makes its way over there this year on a widely available platform.

Yes, unfortunately you are correct - it seems Big Brother and The Matrix swallows everything. Updated interconnected operating and other systems with increased data mining required, acceptance of cookies to fully display sites, enable functionality, or even open at all, the ability to have updated and/or supported 'security', acceptance of invasive privacy policies, terms and conditions, access to smartphone functions, files, and data, mandatory registration, or profile creation, automated business functions (such as recruitment), the list goes on.

I have comprehensively busted my purposefully bare bones systems that many times - presenting me with targeted advertising based not on websites I had visited, products, services, or information I had searched BUT on spoken conversations I had had while my phone was on standby - the spoken word! - topics and keywords so random that I had never ever searched for them in anyway (eg. a friend was starring in a major theatre production. I mentioned this to a business associate as the general topic of creative types, artists and performers came up - Bang ! as soon as I opened a browser page up for a search engine - there was paid advertising for the shows !) :eek!:

'Millenials' are clueless or indifferent - having long ago given away their lives for free.

The final coup de grace will come when it becomes necessary to have GPS enabled for access to parts of this connected world - already my 'Deny' finger is just about worn out ! :-O

Friends with teenage children have just installed the Google assistant device into their home ...... I shudder to think ......

Last edited:
Friends with teenage children have just installed the Google assistant device into their home ...... I shudder to think ......

It may be that we will eventually see the Chinese 'Social Credit' scheme as a local option no worse than the pervasive characterization/manipulation of the people that our capitalist enterprises are implementing.
Alternatively, we can hope that some creative lawyer will help the courts see that the constitutional protection against 'unreasonable search...' applies to technology as well.

It may be that we will eventually see the Chinese 'Social Credit' scheme as a local option no worse than the pervasive characterization/manipulation of the people that our capitalist enterprises are implementing.
Alternatively, we can hope that some creative lawyer will help the courts see that the constitutional protection against 'unreasonable search...' applies to technology as well.
Ugh .... 'sleepwalking' towards 1984. Truly disturbing stuff . :-C

Thanks Paul. Downloaded the first episode, the second is set to record on Friday at 9pm on BBC 2

Later showings are on Sunday at 6pm

Thanks Paul. Downloaded the first episode, the second is set to record on Friday at 9pm on BBC 2

Later showings are on Sunday at 6pm
Brilliant ! o:D

It seems that the episode orders have been changed from the screening in Oz. So the first episode over there (Land) would have been the one with the outstanding footage of Eagles, Kites, Roos, Echidnas, Platypus, etc ..... and the super cute Numbats ! :D

In this episode, which I enjoyed immensely, does anyone know what the bird shown immediately after the Yellow-billed Kingfisher was? A type of Wattlebird? Always try and identify the unnamed birds in these programs but failed on this one

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back