• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (25 Viewers)

Tim Allwood said:
ended up doing the raptor roost on the bike from the Horsey side - no one else there

Tim

Sounds like Stubb Mill used to be when I first started going there over 25 years ago!

Didn't manage to get out yesterday, a dodgy fridge put paid to that :C

James

Well done on a fantastic days birding Penny.Sounds like you had a long but rewarding day.I told you your "Collared Dove" was sign of good luck for the year..! :eek!:

Penny Clarke said:
Went to Sandringham, where the bird table is!! and had a fantastic assortment (must go back with camera), had nuthatch strutting round the table!!!, marsh, blue, great, coal tits, dunnock, chaffinch, goldcrest in the pines, jay along with a treecreeper!!! I popped to Sandringham visitor centre next, feeling quite chuffed, thought I might see some crossbills, maybe not!

Down in 3 weeks,must visit the bird table myself,where abouts is it???

Geoff

Penny Clarke said:
Had 92 species in North West Norfolk today, by myself. Would have got more if I hadn't stopped at Dersingham Bog which is where I started and apart from long tailed tits and robin it was a complete waste of time. Spent quite a while there and hardly saw a thing, not even a kestrel!

Went to Sandringham, where the bird table is!! and had a fantastic assortment (must go back with camera), had nuthatch strutting round the table!!!, marsh, blue, great, coal tits, dunnock, chaffinch, goldcrest in the pines, jay along with a treecreeper!!! I popped to Sandringham visitor centre next, feeling quite chuffed, thought I might see some crossbills, maybe not!

Next stop Snettisham RSPB which was very productive, although BITTERLY COLD WIND. Had several lucky birds, including highlight of the day the stunning Drake Smew (from Shore Hide - that I dipped on Saturday!) a kingfisher, greenwoodpecker on the same post he was on Saturday!, fieldfares, short eared owl, and as soon as I reached the beach, 6 shorelarks!!! Also 3 snowbunting, a red breasted merganser. Saw 5 fieldfare on the road down to reserve and later on saw about 40 sitting in a hawthorn bush. Also had a stonechat at the far end of reserve (near where I saw green woodpecker). Battled back to the carpark in the wind.

I then went to Hunstanton Cliffs to tick, Fulmar and saw my first house sparrow of the day.

Then straight to Titchwell RSPB (decided to miss Holme out, light was going now and knew I would get a bigger list from Titchwell). Next time I will miss out Ders. Bog and include my beloved Holme! Arrived at Titchwell 3pm, highlights were 2 male bearded tits feeding from the reed heads really close to bank, brambling on feeders, cetti's singing! arctic skuas out at sea and kittiwakes. It was now very dark, quite annoyed as didn't really do any seawatching, should have gone to Holme earlier, never mind. Left Titchwell 5pm and then went to Choosley Barnes to see if I could see Little Owl or Barn Owl in the headlights!!! Found a barn owl. Went to parents, sorted my list out, drove home and saw another barn owl on the way home and ended the day with a tawny owl hooting outside my house.

Was quite pleased with end total, especially since I have never bothered doing a list ever!! I've got the bug now, think I will have to do a life list and a Norfolk Year list now!!!!!

1. little grebe 2. fulmar 3. cormorant 4. little egret 5. mute swan
6. pink footed goose 7. greylag goose 8. canada goose 9. brent goose
10. egyptian goose 11. shelduck 12. wigeon 13. gadwall 14. teal 15. mallard
16. pintail 17. shoveler 18.tufted duck 19. common scoter 20. goldeneye
21. smew (drake) 22. red breasted merganser 23. sparrowhawk 24. kestrel
25. red legged partridge 26. pheasant 27. moorhen 28. coot 29. oystercatcher
30. avocet 31. ringed plover 32. golden plover 33. grey plover 34. lapwing
35. knot 36. sanderling 37. dunlin 38. ruff 39. black tailed godwit
40. bar tailed godwit 41. curlew 42. spotted redshank 43. redshank
44. greenshank 45. turnstone 46. arctic skua 47. little gull
48. black headed gull 49. common gull 50. herring gull
51. great black-backed gull 52. kittiwake 53. woodpigeon
54. collared dove (down the chimney at 12.20am 1st bird of the day!)
55. barn owl 56. short eared owl 57. tawny owl 58. kingfisher
59. green woodpecker 60. skylark 61. shorelark 62. meadow pipit 63. wren
64. dunnock 65. robin 66. stonechat 67. blackbird 68. fieldfare
69. mistle thrush 70. cetti's warbler 71. goldcrest 72. bearded tit
73. long-tailed tit 74. marsh tit 75. coal tit 76. blue tit 77. great tit
78. nuthatch 79. treecreeper 80. jay 81. magpie 82. jackdaw 83. rook
84. carrion crow 85. starling 86. house sparrow 87. chaffinch 88. brambling
89. greenfinch 90. goldfinch 91. linnet 92. snow bunting

Hope you all had a good day in Norfolk.

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

Well done, Penny. Obviously we should have been following you around. Instead I think we were ahead of you (started at Snettisham at dawn) and got less everywhere. The wind at Snettisham was so bad that the kids revolted and wouldn't stay there so got almost nothing. Then they refused to go to near the sea again apart from a very brief spell at Titchwell. I'm making another trip tomorrow (when they're back at school) and hoping to make up the numbers a bit.

Helen

A bird table at Sandringham eh?? By royal appointment...

When I was a wee lad (mid '70s) my father, myself and a few others would always hit west Norfolk ~Snettisham, Heacham, Hunstanton etc, finishing at Roydon Common~ from first light on January 1st each year. Lunch would always be taken parked up on one of the wide verges at Sandringham and for me this was the highlight of the day, the reason being that many different birds would actually come and eat the sandwiches from our hands! Various tits, finches and Nuthatch were totally fearless, approaching us as soon as we pulled up. Whether this behaviour persists here I don't know, it would be nice to think it does.

James

Geoff Pain said:
Down in 3 weeks,must visit the bird table myself,where abouts is it???

Geoff

Hi Geoff
The bird table is at TF685283 (about 1/2 mile west of the entrance to Park House on the opposite side) I put lots of seed on it and filled up the peanuts today. Like all woodland birding it is best visited in the early morning but it acts as a great attaction for all the usual species. Take some seed and you could get some great photos.
Sue

SueBryan said:
Hi Geoff
The bird table is at TF685283 (about 1/2 mile west of the entrance to Park House on the opposite side) I put lots of seed on it and filled up the peanuts today. Like all woodland birding it is best visited in the early morning but it acts as a great attaction for all the usual species. Take some seed and you could get some great photos.
Sue

Thanks Sue for answering this (and much more accurately than I would have done!), only just turned computer on, been off work today ill.

Best Wishes
Penny

Forgot to mention yesterday (and I don't suppose too many people will be upset!) but there was what appeared to be an Emperor Goose on Wroxham Broad with the Greylags yesterday afternoon. 1,000's of gulls preparing to roost too.

James

Our visit, 2nd & 3rd January

Sixty eight different species were seen during our 2 day visit to the North Norfolk Coast.

A Barn Owl was seen on the outskirts of Kings Lynn shortly before arriving at Cley for day break. Up to seven Marsh Harrier and a ringtail Hen Harrier were seen here, but no sign of the reported Black–eared Kite. A Kingfisher was seen before departing for Morston.

A mixed flock of finches included good numbers of Brambling (approximately 85 near Walshingham) before seeing a blue phase, intermediate Snow Goose amongst Pink–footed Geese (1000+) near Morston.

Nine Shorelarks, nineteen Snow Buntings and five Sanderling were seen at Holkham. Ten White–fronted Geese and at least a hundred Brent Geese were amongst at least another ten thousand Pink–footed Geese.

To end the day, we headed for Stubb Mill were Marsh Harrier (30+, including adult 2 males), Hen Harrier (1 male and 3 ringtails), Merlin (2+), Harris Hawk (escaped), Barn Owl (1) and Common Crane (2) were added to the list.

On the second day, Avocet (10+), Pintal (5), Gadwall (3) and Egyptian Goose (1) were amongst several hundred Wigeon at Cley before seeing a Common Buzzard at Holkham.

Titchwell produced very good views of five Bearded Tits, five Little Egrets, two Lesser Black–backed Gulls and several more Pintail. Large numbers of Common Scoter were on the sea. Red–throated Diver (1), Grey Plover (10+), Arctic Skua (1) and Black–tailed Godwit were also there.

An excellent two days slightly spoilt by high winds, showers and poor light. During our return journey, a report of the Black–eared Kite returning to Snettisham was received, meaning that a return visit may take place in the coming weeks.

Thanks,

DaveB

Hi folks,

Another out of towner here, hoping to get the year off to a flyer. I am coming down tommorrow morning, leaving sunday afternoon.

Please could anyone tell me if there will be any 'good' tides at snettisham over the weekend to see the wader flocks? Is Snet good this time of year?

Also I am planning a walk around the Horsey Area, particulary in the hope of seeing Cranes. Anyone know if they are still in the area and how are the chances of seeing them?

Many Thanks,
Kstar

kstar_76 said:
Hi folks,

Another out of towner here, hoping to get the year off to a flyer. I am coming down tommorrow morning, leaving sunday afternoon.

Please could anyone tell me if there will be any 'good' tides at snettisham over the weekend to see the wader flocks? Is Snet good this time of year?

Also I am planning a walk around the Horsey Area, particulary in the hope of seeing Cranes. Anyone know if they are still in the area and how are the chances of seeing them?

Many Thanks,
Kstar

Don't worry about answering this now I'm off in a few mins so would miss your replies.

Hope to see you guys down there and a great weekend to all :gh:

Hope to see you guys down there and a great weekend to all :gh:[/QUOTE]

I think the high tide at Snettisham is around 8am. Look out for the Smew and the Black-eared Kite,
The Cranes are always around somewhere. Try around Horsey Corner or at the Stubb Mill roost at Hickling.
Have a good weekend
Sue

Birdline today: Snettisham RSPB - Black Eared Kite south east of reserve, 4 Shorelark, Drake Smew on south pit. 13 hawfinchs and 1 firecrest at Lynford Aboretum.

From NOA website (noa.org.uk): at Holme - 6 Wigeon, 2 Eider, 3 Long-tailed Ducks, 11 Red-breasted Mergansers, 100+ Red-throated Divers, 1 Black-throated Diver, 2 Great Northern Divers, 3 Great Crested Grebes, 1 Slavonian Grebe, 1 Fulmar, 1 Pom Skua, 2 Arctic Skuas, 55 Little Gulls, 24 Kittiwakes, 8 Guillemots, 9 Razorbills and 100+ Auk species. Also of note were a Marsh Harrier, a male Great Spotted Woodpecker on the feeders, and 20 Twite along Thornham bank.

Have not been out at all this weekend due to rotton virus that I have had since Tuesday the bl***y 2nd!!!!!! :C :-C (screaming to get out now birding - oh its Monday tomorrow and I suppose I am well enough to go back to work!)

North Norfolk Winters Day

Hi there
Did anyone see the Beeb 2 program on sunday,
"A Wild Winters Winters Day" ?
Filmed in North Norfolk, although it was a little bit touristy,
it was well shot all the same.
All the favourite bird haunts of course.
Lovely stuff
Mick

Trip Report

Here is my trip report from last weekend:

Friday - Arrived in Wells in time for breakfast, then had a stroll round the harbour to limber up. Plenty of Turnstones about and a flock of Brent Geese, along with the usual gulls. Drove to Titchwell, stopping at Holkham to see the Pink-footed Geese which were grazing on the fields near the roadside. Feeders at Titch very busy; all the common finches and tits along with Tree Sparrows. Had fantastic views of 2 male and 1 female Bearded Tits clinging to the reeds in the wind just at the side of the path. On the pools there were many Teal, Shoveler, Shelduck, Pintail and Wigeon. Smaller numbers of Tufties and Goldeneye the males had started displaying already. Many Lapwings and Golden Plovers. Other waders present were Curlew, Black Tailed Godwit, Ruff, Avocet and Redshank. Other notable sightings were Common Gull, Little Egret and Reed Bunting. Down at the beach there were more of the aforementioned waders plus Oystercatcher and Sanderling. Also a seal pup. Didn't stay on the beach for sea watching as the weather had become very windy and we are inexperienced in this form of birding. Decided to check out the Fen Hide instead - glad we did as we observed a Barn Owl resting in field. Saw another Barn Owl when we returned to wells too, this one was out hunting o:) In total 52 species today.

Saturday - On the advice of a recent article in Birdwatching Magazine we decided to take a trip to the Horsey Mere area. The weather turned very rainy on our way there and was pouring when we got there so we opted against the 4 mile walk from the mag and thought we might see more birds if we drove round a bit. Had a look at the mere - wasn't a lot of activity, just many Wigeon and Teal. Unfortunately we didn't spot any Cranes - Birdwatching had failed to mention Hickling Broad and Stubb Mill Roost - Many thanks to Sue and Frootshoot - will follow your advice next time ;) We went to the beach at Horsey Gap and our luck started to turn for the better and the weather became more tolerable. Saw Ringed Plover and Sanderling at close range on the beach Stonechat on the dunes and Divers out at sea, allthough they were too far out (at least for my eyes) to determine if they were GN or BT. Several seals passing by. Weather worsened again, so we decided to cut our losses and head back to Cley to take refuge in the hides! At Cley we just went to the 3 hides nearest the main road, similar waterfowl and waders as yesterday with the additional sightings of Little Grebe, Bar Tailed Godwit and 2 wintering Marsh Harriers. We were pleased to have spotted 40 species on this very miserable day B :)

Sunday - Went to Cley again this morning and had a bracing walk along the beach. Finally began to get the hang of Seawatching - getting my first 'proper' sighting of a GN Diver as it settled briefly not too far off. Also Guillemots and a large raft of Common Scoter. Visited Snettisham later in the day and allthough the tide was out it was well worth the walk up there. My favourite sightings from there were 2 lifers: a stunning drake Smew and a Red Breasted Merganser B :) Usual waders, ducks etc also observed today the day list finished on 48 species.

All in all a very enjoyable start to the year!

Kstar

Last edited:
kstar_76 said:
Here is my trip report from last weekend:

1 female Bearded Tits clinging to the reeds in the wind just at the side of the path.

a stunning drake Smew and a Red Breasted Merganser

All in all a very enjoyable start to the year!

Kstar
Hi Kstar

Lovely report, glad you had a good time in Norfolk, the bearded tits have been showing really well lately, the Smew and RBM are beautiful, saw these 1st Jan.

Best Wishes Penny :girl:

[ Feeders at Titch very busy; all the common finches and tits along with Tree Sparrows.
Kstar[/QUOTE]

Hi Kstar

You said that you had tree sparrows on the feeders - how many did you have?
I haven't seen any records in the logbook in the visitor centre and it is a good reserve record.

Cheers

Paul

[/QUOTE]Hi Kstar

You said that you had tree sparrows on the feeders - how many did you have?
I haven't seen any records in the logbook in the visitor centre and it is a good reserve record.

Cheers

Paul[/QUOTE]

I remember seeing 3 on the feeders at the same time, allthough there may have been more about. I didn't report them as I didn't realise this was unusual for the site? I saw some near the reserve last time I was in Norfolk in september (near the In-Focus shop on the A149). I have seen Tree Sparrows using feeders before at Rutland water where they have a stronghold, so I really didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary to be honest.

Last edited:
I remember seeing 3 on the feeders at the same time, allthough there may have been more about. I didn't report them as I didn't realise this was unusual for the site?

No problem, I will add them to the reserve database.
Tree sparrow used to be a regular visitor to the reserve feeders but unfortunatly that is now a thing of the past although they can still be found in reasonable numbers in the surrounding area.
There was a bird present on and off last year but a difficult one to catch up with.
Hopefully they will stay around as I am doing a 2007 Titchwell reserve yearlist.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back