• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lenscoat 400 f5.6 (1 Viewer)

Cardamom Pod

Very well, Dr. Humorous Droll
I was thinking about getting one of these, but wanted to be sure that it will cover the lens hood when extended. I think it does, but I haven't been able to find any pictures of it extended. Also, does the Bodyguard seem like a good idea? I want some protection from the elements if I'm shooting in snowy conditions this winter. Maybe I need something else for that kind of protection? Also, would a camouflage lenscoat really make the lens look frightening to birds?

The Bodyguard. More importantly, might I look kind of silly and unprofessional with a camo body cover and camo lenscoat?:-O
http://www.lenscoat.com/bodyguard-c....html?osCsid=cce89b65ec392371f6dea1b5079e1016

I have the black lens-coat on my EF 400 F5.6L, and with the hood extended, there's a very obvious light coloured band. There's simply too little clearance for the thickness of lens coat material to be accommodated. I suppose you could paint the lens a colour to match the lens coat?
I doubt if the birds notice whether you're using a lens coat or not, but it affords some protection against scuffing.

I have noticed that the "serious" people in the WWT hides do seem to have camouflage type coverings on their long lenses. A bird friendly venue, and good fieldcraft is probably more important.

Thanks for the reply! I guess I would mainly want it to protect my lens, keep it from getting very cold, and possibly offer some protection from snow.

...but wanted to be sure that it will cover the lens hood when extended?
Yes it does cover the lens when fully extended. We are in the process of updating the pictures for this lens since the design changed sometime ago. Some images are already up (Realtree Max4 and Black) and the others will be up shortly http://www.lenscoat.com/lenscoatsuptmsup-canon-p-31.html look under more views to see the hood fully extended.

Malcolm you must have an old version of this cover.

As Malcolm points out the LensCoat cover will help protect your lens, it also acts as a thermal barrier making it more comfortable to handle in hot and cold temperatures. And the camouflage helps brake up the shape making it less threatening to wildlife.

The BodyGuard Clear Back will do the same but also reduce the shutter noise some as well

Cheers,

Thanks, I hadn't seen those pictures, but that was exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll get one, probably the realtree camo one, and I'll think about the bodyguard.

you need a thick green welly sock.Just cut off the toe part,and you have a nice thick protective cover for your lens.The only time I remove mine,is when i am using a tripod,or a 1x4.Great for resting on noisy steel barriers,not a sound to be heard,and yes,it keeps your lens warm!!!.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back