• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ-200 (1 Viewer)

Exactly :t:

I guess the next question is...how he got the camera to perform that well, i.e which settings, raw or not, photo editing software etc?

Last edited:
Some more pics.

I've got no intention whatsoever of deploying fieldcraft or using any skill at all to take photos of birds. I just want something that I can achieve an acceptable record shot of birds I stumble upon. However, having seen those shots on Flickr, I'm almost tempted to try and use it properly!

I've tried plenty of things over the years (lots of digiscoping combinations, last century 35mm SLR, video camera) and this is by far the best piece of kit I've ever used.

Attachments

• barwit.jpg
    barwit.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 280
  • barwit01.jpg
    barwit01.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 260
  • kes.jpg
    kes.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 467
  • robin.jpg
    robin.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 285
  • brents.jpg
    brents.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Okay cool, seems that Amazon have 2 versions of the same product just that one's sold out!

So I understand that having the converter on limits the maximum aperture to f4.0, but how does it affect video?

I am not sure I understand why it would limit to f4 (but I do not use one myself and don't have a fz200), and I doubt there would be much influence on video (except that it is very difficult holding a camera steady while shooting video at long FL unless you are using a tripod.

Niels

I am not sure I understand why it would limit to f4 .........

Niels

Traditionally i.e. in analog cameras, converters reduce f-stops in line with the added magnification/extension. I presume this holds for a constant f2.8 digital camera as well?

Converters between the lens and the camera reduce the F-stop (by spreading the light so that less light hits the sensor), but a "conversion lens" placed in front of the regular lens should mostly have a large enough opening that the F-stop stays constant.

Niels

I enquire for a friend, who doesn’t post.

What do owners think of the FZ-200 for use in Antarctica ?

I’m particularly thinking of the white balance/over-exposure issues- if they do, in fact, constitute an issue.

I enquire for a friend, who doesn’t post.

What do owners think of the FZ-200 for use in Antarctica ?

I’m particularly thinking of the white balance/over-exposure issues- if they do, in fact, constitute an issue.

I would think that you should keep the exposure compensation set to -2/3 at least. This can be quickly checked on site by taking a quick shot of the ice to see the result. It may need to be adjusted even lower, but I think that would be a good starting point. I don't think there should be any white balance issues, as its mostly white anyway. Battery life is an issue in cold conditions and if possible, your friend should try and keep the battery warm, like in an inside pocket. Not always practical with the one in the camera, but any spare batteries should be kept that way.

I would think that you should keep the exposure compensation set to -2/3 at least. ....................

Under the "all-white" situation, I think it should rather be +2/3. The camera will tend to get the white into a gray as long as it's not told otherwise.

Thank you for the last two posts.

The battery in an inside pocket is a good tip.

Are there any other considerations he should have, please ?

Anyone else like to break the ice ?

I've just come back from a trip that included Peru, Bolivia, USA and Canada and while it wasn't specifically a bird finding trip, I did manage to get a few shots with my then new FZ200. Here's some samples.

Attachments

• Butterfly1.jpg
    Butterfly1.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 395
  • Hummer1.jpg
    Hummer1.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 480
  • Andean Flicker1.jpg
    Andean Flicker1.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 436
  • Black Chinned Hummingbird1.jpg
    Black Chinned Hummingbird1.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 487
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back