• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wildlife in graphite (1 Viewer)

it may be an image that's been done a million times before, but very few of those match the quality of image depicted here - a solid, sculptural living bird with poise and beauty.

nick and mike many thanks for your comments,i have to admit to being very pleasantly surprised at the positive response ive had to this piece both here and on other sites.i had worried that it might be seen as an image that had been overdone and it looks like it's about to be published,so i'm quite chuffed with it.

hi tim and mike and thanks again.ive been published for some time with regards to my animal prints but hadnt untill recently seriously tried pushing the birds even though i much prefer doing these rather than the fluffy stuff.my publishers much to my surprise decided to publish 3 of my bird images as they have apparently been very well received,which i hope means i can do what i really enjoy doing and still keep the publishers on board.win win i hope

after a few weeks away from the birding world working on drawings for my publisher it's a relief to be able to get back to my bird art.my first image completed is a smaller piece than i'm used to doing but i wanted to get the image down on paper whilst it was still fresh in my mind.it is of course a little egret spotted out on the saltmarsh at warsash on the hamble estuary earlier this week and is as much about the lighting casting lovely shadows and reflections as it is of the bird.hope you like it.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 118
little egrets are nothing but shadows and reflections - that's why they're so damn hard to do - you make it look easy. Great composition, great bird and great use of medium. Jury's verdict - a unanimous great!

thanks everyone,i have to say it was such a treat to draw and it's been a little while since i felt so pleased with an artwork.it was a bit of an experiment for me to see if i could put together a fairly detailed pencil drawing in what is (for me at least) a very small format,thus allowing me to get down my impressions of the event much more quickly than i previously could.a very enjoyable experience and one that i'm hoping to repeat more often with the birds on my patch.

The chase-moorhen and avocet

Back in august i was plodding around titchfield haven and spotted a pair of avocets with two juveniles in tow.The adult birds were very protective of their offspring and every now and then when one of the local moorhens got too close for comfort they would be pursued until they took flight to a safe distance,this is my attempt to re-create this image.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 108
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back