Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Weirdest UK Twitch

Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 12:40   #51
Jhanlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Surely all these twitching antics would make a good book?
I’d certainly buy one for Christmas.
Mike
Ahem, I did my best: https://www.amazon.co.uk/UK500-Birdi.../dp/0954334787

Lots of good twitches and moments. A few scrums, the worst perhaps the 1990 Dunge ST treecreeper. Only visible by laying on your belly on the shingle and looking up into the middle of various bushes. 4-5 people could do this comfortably. The other 150 present mostly just piled on top!

The ancient murrelet - car crash on the M4 when I was 16 put my Mum and me in hospital with head injuries; the car written off and my optics flung onto the carriageway at 70mph. After minor surgery we went for the train station in a police car blaring blues & two's but missed the train by seconds. Took a 60 mile taxi journey to Ilfracombe where we stayed over. next morning - boat cancelled. Gutted... and this was my 2nd attempt!

Funny moment last yr at the American redstart on Barra - about 3 carloads of us went to the pub afterwards then we had to find an obscure hostel in the middle of nowhere in the dark. We eventually arrived to find the doors locked. We gathered around the house peering through various windows with torches and saw a generously proportioned guy asleep on his sofa with mouth wide open. Next minute my phone rings - it's the hostel wondering where we were. Oops - wrong house!
Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 14:05   #52
Mike Montier

Oh thanks Jhanlon. I’ve rather lost touch with the UK scene since leaving ten years ago.
I’ve just given my daughter details for Christmas so my wish will come true after all.
Mike
Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 15:10   #53
Deshiggins

Ok this is really really stretching things (to Irish invertebrates) but is a good story. Back in the late 1970s, I was about 20 and a friend of mine (Declan Doogue) was into woodlice and there was a mapping scheme organised from Monk's Wood (ITE). The head of the scheme (Paul Harding) was persuaded to come to Ireland to try to refind a rare pill bug that had some old records from the Irish midlands but had not been seen in decades. It is Armadillidium pulchellum http://www.bmig.org.uk/species/armad...#tabs-0-tabs-2 .

Two car loads of us set off from Dublin to stay the night in Tipperary and look the next day. We were in the first car and this co-incided with an IRA shooting and kidnapping the day before so we were stopped by a roadblock by the Gardaí and army near Roscrea. The policeman asked us where we were going and we looked very peculiar. We were four blokes with beards and outdoor gear and we said we were looking for woodlice. The story was so weird that we were believed and waved on. In the second car was Paul Harding, fresh off a flight from England and Kieran Grace (an active bird high-lister in Ireland since then) plus two other blokes with beards. The policeman who stopped them, looked in the open window and smirked and said: Woodlice, is it?". Paul Harding was flabbergasted. Who knew that Irish police were so clued into rare invertebrates.

Des
Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 15:17   #54
Dean Nicholson
Cloacal Protuberant.

Not a weird twitch as such but i always remember at the Cowpen Bewley Glaucous-winged Gull when the bird hadn't been seen for ages or not even at all that day if i remember correctly? and birders started to branch out around the general area... i remember a crowd of us parked on the roadside scanning over Saltholme when a car skidded up on the far carriageway and the bloke (obviously with local knowledge as it hadn't been on the pager yet) shouted 'it's on the deck up here'..... cue instant mayhem as people ran to their cars but some lad didn't want to go the opposite direction to go around the roundabout and tried to cut over the central reservation to the opposite carriageway but hadn't taken into account the steep kerbs and the whole of the front of his car under his bonnet came off! he jumped out shouted a few swearwords and just chucked the 'wreckage' on the back seat and sped off! and i remember seeing his car parked up at the twitch as we left with the grill and skirt missing thinking i wonder how far he's got to go home....
At the bird a couple infront of us were talking about it and said when he pulled up there was nearly as many people looking at his car as there was the bird!
Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 19:12   #55
Rob Laughton
Bird, bird, bird...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhanlon View Post
Ahem, I did my best: https://www.amazon.co.uk/UK500-Birdi.../dp/0954334787

Lots of good twitches and moments. A few scrums, the worst perhaps the 1990 Dunge ST treecreeper. Only visible by laying on your belly on the shingle and looking up into the middle of various bushes. 4-5 people could do this comfortably. The other 150 present mostly just piled on top!

The ancient murrelet - car crash on the M4 when I was 16 put my Mum and me in hospital with head injuries; the car written off and my optics flung onto the carriageway at 70mph. After minor surgery we went for the train station in a police car blaring blues & two's but missed the train by seconds. Took a 60 mile taxi journey to Ilfracombe where we stayed over. next morning - boat cancelled. Gutted... and this was my 2nd attempt!

Funny moment last yr at the American redstart on Barra - about 3 carloads of us went to the pub afterwards then we had to find an obscure hostel in the middle of nowhere in the dark. We eventually arrived to find the doors locked. We gathered around the house peering through various windows with torches and saw a generously proportioned guy asleep on his sofa with mouth wide open. Next minute my phone rings - it's the hostel wondering where we were. Oops - wrong house!
Loved those stories Jhanlon. I do hope you got the Murrelet in the end!
Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 19:19   #56
Dave Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshiggins View Post
The policeman who stopped them, looked in the open window and smirked and said: Woodlice, is it?". Paul Harding was flabbergasted. Who knew that Irish police were so clued into rare invertebrates.

Des
There were similar stories at the time of the miners’ strike when flying pickets were going from more militant areas such as Yorkshire to the then Kent coalfield. At first carloads of birders (IIRC for the Minster Rock Thrush, unless it was the Golden-winged) were being stopped by police on their way through the tunnel, but eventually the fuzz cottoned on and birders were being asked ‘did you see it?’ on their way home
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 08:11   #57
Mike C
Emeritus President at Burnage Rugby Club

Not necessarily weird more a comment on the lawless nature of inner cities.
January 1990 and a Waxwing was reported from Hulme, Manchester.
Although it was much, much better in the 90's than it had been in the 70's (I'm a Manchester lad, so I'm fully aware of have appalling it was) we still felt it wise to leave someone behind to guard the car.
We saw the bird in shifts.

And meetings with the boys and girls in blue.
This wasn't a twitch. A birding mate was sent to a conference in Suffolk in a pool car from work.
Bear in mind the car was registered in Cardiff.
We talked about his route and it was convenient-ish for him to drop us at Minsmere for a day out, while he was at his meeting.
So we're near Peterborough (I think) 5 lads in a new-ish car when we pick up a car following us.
Cue blue lights.
The young WPC (who in hindsight was very brave to stop a car carrying 5 bulky lads) pulled us over and quizzed us - assuming the car might be stolen.
It ended up being pretty funny as the driver (suit and tie) explained why he had a car full of blokes in camo gear.
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 10:18   #58
Grando

I do remember crossing the picket line at Seaforth Docks in the early 90s for a white-crowned sparrow that was never seen again!
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 11:30   #59
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Not necessarily weird more a comment on the lawless nature of inner cities.
January 1990 and a Waxwing was reported from Hulme, Manchester.
Although it was much, much better in the 90's than it had been in the 70's (I'm a Manchester lad, so I'm fully aware of have appalling it was) we still felt it wise to leave someone behind to guard the car.
We saw the bird in shifts.
Did the same thing once for a stunning sum plum Pink Stink at Sinfin in Derby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grando View Post
I do remember crossing the picket line at Seaforth Docks in the early 90s for a white-crowned sparrow that was never seen again!
Crikey, yes, I remember that!

Tell you what, as well as being a hoot to read this thread has been a great trip down memory lane!
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 12:39   #60
Andrew Clarke

Not the weirdest, but crikey, how twitching and telecommunications have changed...

Back in spring 1985 I recall completing some exam at school then using the telephone box on the premises to ring Nancy’s Cafe, having been banned from using my parents landline (as they all were back then) because of too many expensive calls to a certain number in Norfolk...

There was a Sociable Plover at Dartford - a much wanted lifer! I ran home like a Cheetah on amphetamines, stuffed several Mars Bars and my optics in the rucksack, caught the bus along the Parkway to the outskirts of Sheffield, tried to look as tidy as possible and stuck my thumb out with the usual selection of freaks on the M1 sliproad. Before too long I was heading down the motorway en route to Kent. I recall this novel new road called the M25 was being constructed and my journey was relatively stress free.

Before long I was dropped off in Dartford. Now to find the bird. The only gen I had was the bird being “on the marshes with a Lapwing flock” and of course I had no map except my trusty battered AA Road Atlas. No GPS smartphone and RBA apps in those days. I remember wandering the steets completely lost in some big council estate and pestering many locals with very odd southern dialects before some lovely dreadlocked woman directed me to an obscure lane out of town.

Amazingly, bearing in mind the fact that there were no other birders around and the site seemed bloody huge, I eventually found a Lapwing flock and, scanning the field, I picked up the stunning Sociable Plover. Get in!!!

Only issue now was retracing my route and hitching home. Bear in mind this was in spring (Sadly I lost my early birding notebooks but a quick search reveals the bird was present from March 8th to April 13th) so it did get dark rather rapidly. Have you people ever tried hitching at night? Not funny at all! I’d learnt to ask any drivers where they were going if they stopped so I could decline their ride if necessary and, if they didn’t look like they were going to fry my kidneys for a midnight snack - I’d hop in. I kept getting dropped at bloody awful junctions, it rained, I became bloody desperate and considered kipping in the bushes in my plastic orange survival bag, stuck it out, had the cops stop and ask me what I was doing, became more desperate and so on. Stress!

Eventually, somewhere in the Midlands, a bloke in a very nice car that didn’t smell of chips and/or BO (like certain lorry drivers desperate for someone to talk to at night) pulled up and told me he was heading towards Sheffield. To cut a long story short it became clear that not only did he want someone to talk to but he also appreciated my blond teenaged company. Like really appreciated it!

After about the fifth time he’d asked “are you sure you don’t want to come back for a coffee” he realised that I wasn’t interested in him and he kindly dropped me off close to home rather than in a bin bag by the 24 hr services.

I had several interesting journeys thumbing my way around the UK for rarities, and survived mild sexual predators, terrible driving and unroadworthy vehicles unscathed. Wouldn’t dream of hitchhiking these days.

Things you do for a tick eh?
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 17:49   #61
melodious

Well, on that theme Andrew; stood on a fog bound M25 slip road in the early hours. It's February. No traffic at all so I started running from side to side across the road in an attempt to keep warm. Eventually a car stops to give me a lift. I get chatting to the driver, a young man. He casually reveals his night's activities; having signed himself out of hospital after undergoing a stomach pump for a drugs overdose he proceeded to steal his neighbour's car for a runaround, the same car he was now returning.......
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 18:57   #62
cheshirebirder

Hitchhiking could be worth a thread of it's own. Once got a lift in a delivery van down the M1 when it was snowing quite heavily. It had only one, centrally mounted windscreen wiper which was operated entirely manually by the driver using a knob above the windscreen ! Was I glad to get out at my junction .
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 20:20   #63
cafe birder

Hitchhiking stories...I have a few. Just 1 for now. Three student friends and I were finishing a trip studying upland geese with a few days camping in the Andes to see condors. We decided to hitch back to Buenos Aires and so split into pairs to increase our chances. Joan and I got a lift with the French charge d'affaires in a Renault he had got specially imported and only ever drove at twice the legal limit. His idea of a holiday was to catch a small plane, fly over the Amazon until he saw a suitable spot, parachute out and walk home for three weeks. Once back in B A he gave us food, showers and a cracking meal. That's my kind of hitch. My friends, unfortunately got a quarry truck and took a whole day for the journey trapped between two colossal miners at a steady 35kph
Howard
Old Thursday 8th November 2018, 21:40   #64
borolad

One of the fork lift trainers on the steelworks used to be a long distance driver in the early 1960's and often picked up people to talk with to help keep awake.
His favourite story was about a young guy he picked up in London looking for a lift to somewhere in Surrey....apparently he had a guitar and said he knew a few blues songs, so he entertained Alan with a few tunes till he said this is a good spot for me and duly bade his farewell.....A few years later Alan was watching TV and nearly choked on his chips when he saw his passenger...whatever became of young Eric?
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 08:17   #65
John Watson

Oh, the stories of hitch-hiking in the '70s when I was a teenager, before I went twitching. Such a risky thing to do

Big lorry drivers who persistently turn the conversation towards sex & with peculiar side-glances. Makes you appreciate the cr*p that women get, even today

Other lorry drivers who watch you put your rucksack in, then drive off before you get in

One time, I was picked up by a middle-aged couple in a Merc. Travelling at ~80, the driver had to reach behind for something, so his wife held the steering wheel while he turned around to get it

Another time, I was picked up by an open-top 2-seater sports car. Within a few seconds, we'd reached 90 mph in 2nd gear & I could barely breathe with my small case on my lap. Figured the car was probably an AC Cobra

One driver insisted on talking through his failing marriage - to an 18 y/o stranger

But my favourite was being picked up by a hearse. Unoccupied, naturally - that wouldn't be proper. Pleasant, experienced & very fast driver travelled overnight to collect "clients". Routinely travelled at up to 140 mph, eg from Exeter to Durham & back - the police never stopped him because of the vehicle

Last edited by John Watson : Friday 9th November 2018 at 08:21.
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 13:06   #66
Paul Longland

I too have a few horror stories of hitching from my student days. I think the majority of those actually stopping to offer lifts were those that were predisposed to boredom, simply liked talking or were desperate show offs. The number of times they set off at breakneck speed once you were settled in your seat, crazy overtaking maneuvers etc beggars belief. I think my worst experience was near Perth. The sales rep who promptly stated that he bet I had never been in such a great car before (it was some sort of big Renault I think) insisted at driving at three figure speeds, often taking blind bends on the wrong side of the road to try and prove his point. At the first opportunity, somewhere on the outskirts of Edingurgh I made my excuses that "here would be fine" and hopped out.

As it turned out that was a great decision, not only had I probably preserved my life but about 30 minutes later a lovely lady stopped and offered me a lift. On hearing my accent she asked me straight away whereabouts in the midlands I lived. I told her and about 6 hours later she dropped me about 100yds from my front door. Turned out she was visiting friends in Market Harborough before picking her son up from Warwick Uni where he was studying.
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 13:23   #67
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Longland View Post
I told her and about 6 hours later she dropped me about 100yds from my front door. Turned out she was visiting friends in Market Harborough before picking her son up from Warwick Uni where he was studying.
Miserable old so-and-so. Been dropped off at my door a few times ...

(But not after a 6 hour journey admittedly)
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 13:25   #68
dantheman
Bah humbug

Think this thread may have been hijacked*

*(ironically one of the reasons given why truck/lorry drivers no longer stop for hitchers - company policy (H&S/Insuarnce) and fear of hijacking/stealing the load)

Last edited by dantheman : Friday 9th November 2018 at 13:37.
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 14:40   #69
melodious

Despite my story above I can honestly say that I rarely had anything approaching a really bad or genuinely frightening lift (the lad mentioned above was perfectly charming if admittedly a little worse for wear). The worst lift I ever got was being picked on an excruciatingly slow post-dip return leg from Cornwall. I was picked up after nightfall somewhere in the Midlands by a driver who immediately announced his only motivation for giving me a lift was to Spread the Word of God. He dropped me off soon after at what proved to be an impossible junction and as I hastily got out I took what I thought was my carrier bag containing all my supplies of food and water. Unfortunately I had taken his bag of biblical literature. Suffice to say it provided little spiritual solace as I bedded down, hungry and thirsty, in what transpired to be a patch of nettles.

Last edited by melodious : Friday 9th November 2018 at 14:45.
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 15:36   #70
John Watson

What, no fish or loaves of bread ?
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 15:54   #71
melodious

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Watson View Post
What, no fish or loaves of bread ?
Nor Quails or manna........
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 16:13   #72
Farnboro John

Just the cross he had to bear!

John
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 16:21   #73
melodious

If not thorns, I did get a crown of nettles.
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 17:22   #74
Andrew Clarke

Crikey, it seems like my twitchiking experiences were relatively tame compared to some and seeing as we’re off at a tangent here’s one more hitching story.

One time a mate and I decided to fill our massive backpacks and head out to the Peak District. We stood for hours and hours on some bleak cold verge with zero success. Eventually a nice lady in a Mini pulled over and we squeezed ourselves and our gear into the vehicle. Oh the elation - we were off!

Not for long. We travelled about a hundred yards down the moorland road until a very loud clanking noise came from the undercarriage followed by silence. On parking our dear host almost began sobbing as she looked in her rear view mirror and declared that her exhaust had fallen off

The weight of us and our rucksacks had been too much for the trusty steed and she was overladen with serious consequences. So we could do nothing other than offer apologies, make our excuses and wander off before eventually getting out of earshot and collapsing in laughter. God knows what happened to the poor woman....

Another of my funniest vehicle related twitches occurred some years ago when I was visiting Conwy RSPB. I used to do a lot of volunteering there and knew the reserve team well. I distinctly recall walking firm the train station to the reserve (before I was driving) and bumping into Mike the assistant wardens in the car park. We had a bit of a catch up - talking birds of course - and he mentioned some rarity he’d connected with lately. I distinctly remember saying something like “I f******g hate twitching, can’t be arsed, bloody crowds of idiots, never again“ etc and we entered the visitor centre. Alan the warden came straight over and declared “Elfyn Lewis has scored big time. There’s an Ivory Gull at Black Rock Sands!’

Cue complete headless chicken mode. Alan had a car but was working. Mike had no car but somehow managed to negotiate a pass. What to do!?

Then we saw her. Gorgeous young volunteer at the reserve for a week or two on her first day. Didn’t know much about birds. Never been to Wales before.

BUT HAD A VEHICLE!

We decided there and then to pressgang her into being an orno taxi. I still don’t know how we did it (probably some talk of being her personal tour guides/bribery/chance of a date) but before long she was persuaded, we were on the road and headed down to Porthmadog. Before long this incredible beauty was sat on the beach in front of us scoffing a decomposing porpoise. Happy days - and serves me right for saying I would never twitch again
Old Friday 9th November 2018, 17:54   #75
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clarke View Post
Before long this incredible beauty was sat on the beach in front of us scoffing a decomposing porpoise. Happy days - and serves me right for saying I would never twitch again
Nice one. Sounds like you had an incredibly lucky escape though from what was almost certainly an undead zombie!!

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: