Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Weirdest UK Twitch

Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 17:10   #1
Andrew Clarke

Weirdest UK Twitch

Right, we currently have a situation where a bird which Bill Oddie so eloquently once described as a cosmic mind f****r is sheltering from the elements in an Orcadian outdoor toilet.

I can’t get two images out of my head;

1) this frankly spaced-out looking beast sat on the crapper wondering how the hell it got there?

2) the mass ranks of anxious listers, some still smarting from the infamous suppression of the Spurn bird, wondering how the hell to get there?

Wherever there may be, if and when access is available...

So, before you chew your fingernails/hands off in despair I’d be grateful if anyone could remind me of the weirdest twitches they’ve experienced.

I missed a lift to the Hartlepool White-throated Robin but would have absolutely loved to have experienced the twitch, mainly for the sight of grown men and women hauling themselves up ladders and on the roofs of passing vehicles to peer into the Vicar’s Garden and get covered in anti-vandal paint.

Must confess to always having a soft spot for the Geordie accent, especially the canny ladies. I can but imagine the negotiations when the local window cleaners rolled up...

So people, what have I been missing?

Last edited by Andrew Clarke : Saturday 3rd November 2018 at 23:54.
Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 17:22   #2
PAAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clarke View Post
Right, we currently have a situation where a bird which Bill Oddie so eloquently once described as a cosmic mind f****r is sheltering from the elements in an Orcadian outdoor toilet.

I can’t get two images out of my head;

1) this frankly spaced-out looking beast sat on the crapper wondering how the hell it got there?

2) the mass ranks of anxious listers, some still smarting from the infamous suppression of the Spurn bird, wondering how the hell to get there?

Wherever there may be, if and when access is available...

So, before you chew your fingernails/hands off in despair I’d be grateful if anyone could remind me of the weirdest twitches they’ve experienced.

I missed a lift to the Hartlepool White-throated Robin but would have absolutely loved to have experienced the twitch, mainly for the sight of grown men and women hauling themselves up ladders and on the roofs of passing vehicles to peer into the Vicar’s Garden an Chet covered in anti-vandal paint.

Must confess to always having a soft spot for the Geordie accent, especially the canny ladies. I can but imagine the negotiations when the local window cleaners rolled up...

So people, what have I been missing?
People from Teesside will not thank you for the 'geordie accent' comment....
Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 17:40   #3
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

The Sunderland Baillon's springs to mind, ridiculously confiding, in a city centre park, messages on Birdline advising people not to try and touch the bird, people having to wear their reading glasses to see it properly.

Ticking American Robin by streetlamp early one December morning in Inverbervbie was fairly odd too.
Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 17:48   #4
Andrew Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAAB View Post
People from Teesside will not thank you for the 'geordie accent' comment....
OML sincere apologies to all inhabitants of the NE of England, Teesiders, Geordies or not. No offence was meant. My lighthearted post about the sheer delight/lunacy of some twitches has descended into the foetid depths of cultural insensitivity.
Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 17:50   #5
Andrew Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWN Andrewes View Post
The Sunderland Baillon's springs to mind, ridiculously confiding, in a city centre park, messages on Birdline advising people not to try and touch the bird, people having to wear their reading glasses to see it properly.

Ticking American Robin by streetlamp early one December morning in Inverbervbie was fairly odd too.
I visited the Baillon’s park some years later as a Sunderland student birder mate lived a stones throw from there. What a bizarre location!
Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 17:56   #6
duncan fraser

Quote:
OML sincere apologies to all inhabitants of the NE of England, Teesiders, Geordies or not. No offence was meant. My lighthearted post about the sheer delight/lunacy of some twitches has descended into the foetid depths of cultural insensitivity.
Geordies are along the banks of the Tyne
Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 21:51   #7
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan fraser View Post
Regardless of the waterway they reside by, Wearsiders, to most outside the region, sound like Geordies. All Londoners are not Cockneys but all working class Londoners sound the same to my Midland ear.

Golden-winged Warbler in a Tesco carpark must have been surreal......
Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 22:21   #8
borolad

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Regardless of the waterway they reside by, Wearsiders, to most outside the region, sound like Geordies. All Londoners are not Cockneys but all working class Londoners sound the same to my Midland ear.

totally off topic but remember being at Villa for a Boro match and all our fans joining in when they chanted "we hate Geordies"....they seemed rather confused :)

my favourite very mini twitch was finding a Goldcrest in a sink in an old shed on Warrenby steelworks.....not rare...but very weird and attracted quite a few while it rested
Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 22:51   #9
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Quote:

Certainly was, although both times I saw it it was in gardens nearby, we just parked at Tesco. The first time was on day one, a Thursday iirc, and a couple of young store managers came over to the corner of the car park we were all parked in and told us we shouldn't really be there if we weren't shopping. I don't think they expected us to just laugh and say "if you think this is bad mate, just you wait til Saturday! "
Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 23:32   #10
peterbrash

Golden-winged warbler was a great twitch.

The ‘green heron’ in Devon was a bit odd, arriving on site and finding out that a green heron ‘might’ have been seen several months ago. Then the conspiracy stories started that there was some big news about to drop from the south-east and that this was just a ruse to keep the riff raff away. Followed by the news of Naumann’s thrush.
Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 23:43   #11
pbright_thomas
Landlocked birder, looking up

I twitched back to my old school playing field after I had left home and gone to University. The playing field was frequented by the first Naumann's thrush for Britain, the kind of thing I had fantasised about while in the very same school and writing poor derivatives of Bill Oddie's little black masterpiece.

A housemate heard on the radio that there was a rare bird in my home town and fortunately passed the news on, or I wouldn't have know. I rocked up 3 weeks into its stay, 2 birders told me it had flown. I looked up, saw a lone thrush overhead, said "That's it" and it came down beautifully on the rugby field. Perfect!

http://birdingovermyhead.wordpress.com
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 01:27   #12
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Quote:
I missed a lift to the Hartlepool White-throated Robin but would have absolutely loved to have experienced the twitch, mainly for the sight of grown men and women hauling themselves up ladders and on the roofs of passing vehicles to peer into the Vicar’s Garden and get covered in anti-vandal paint.
Saw this, but left before the ladders incident started

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWN Andrewes View Post
Got this one too, but before the advice not to touch went out . . . it took a worm off my hand
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 08:03   #13
Jan-Paul Charteris
Sussex birder and budding moth enthusiast

Weirdest local twitch for me must be Grey Phalarope in Hove on a childrens paddling pool. Nipped down to see it on my lunch break from work and was somewhat incongruous to see a load of mostly older fellas in everything from suits to camo (gotta question the sanity of anyone who would wear camo in that situation) laying on their fronts next to a paddling pool with long lenses

And for you Facebook birders, always good to get to know other birders https://www.facebook.com/jan.charteris?ref=tn_tnmn
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 09:43   #14
Andrew Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbright_thomas View Post
I twitched back to my old school playing field after I had left home and gone to University. The playing field was frequented by the first Naumann's thrush for Britain, the kind of thing I had fantasised about while in the very same school and writing poor derivatives of Bill Oddie's little black masterpiece.

A housemate heard on the radio that there was a rare bird in my home town and fortunately passed the news on, or I wouldn't have know. I rocked up 3 weeks into its stay, 2 birders told me it had flown. I looked up, saw a lone thrush overhead, said "That's it" and it came down beautifully on the rugby field. Perfect!
I spent way too long staring at the school playing field as a youth. Best I had was a flock of Linnets. This is the stuff of schoolboy birding fantasy indeed!
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 09:44   #15
Andrew Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Paul Charteris View Post
Weirdest local twitch for me must be Grey Phalarope in Hove on a childrens paddling pool. Nipped down to see it on my lunch break from work and was somewhat incongruous to see a load of mostly older fellas in everything from suits to camo (gotta question the sanity of anyone who would wear camo in that situation) laying on their fronts next to a paddling pool with long lenses
Please tell me there is photographic evidence. Up there with the weirdest twitches ever.
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 10:10   #16
prhodes

Ah, Saturday at the Golden-winged Warbler. After no news of the bird, spontaneously we all just started running - over walls, through hedges, down alleyways, through car parks, until roughly back where we all started, there was still no news of the bird. Like Mike Reid's Runaround.

Eventually, it did show well and roads were blocked and busses held-up, etc, etc. I think there may be pictures of this out there.
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 10:42   #17
Pariah
Stealth Birder

Not a UK twitch, but twitching Finland's first Taiga Flycatcher, on a snowy evening was a pretty unique experience.

https://twitter.com/birdingstandard/...185487362?s=19

I would like to have taken more video footage/photos of the bird, but the biting cold aside, every time I opened my gloves this happened.

https://twitter.com/birdingstandard/...670656000?s=19

Owen
Old Sunday 4th November 2018, 12:38   #18
Jan-Paul Charteris

Quote:
Please tell me there is photographic evidence. Up there with the weirdest twitches ever.
LGRE took some pics of the rabble as I recall. I've only got photos of the bird as didn't have long there :)

And for you Facebook birders, always good to get to know other birders https://www.facebook.com/jan.charteris?ref=tn_tnmn
Old Monday 5th November 2018, 10:33   #19
davercox
Dave Cox

Quote:
Regardless of the waterway they reside by, Wearsiders, to most outside the region, sound like Geordies.
Coming late to this thread ... having been married for 32 years to a Wearsider, I can't let this go by. They sound utterly different.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 5th November 2018, 11:14   #20
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Paul Charteris View Post
Look how he blends in with the tarmac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12075757285_38811b88cf_m.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	679234  
Old Monday 5th November 2018, 11:17   #21
FoghornKinghorn
Durham Recorder

Quote:
North of it, not south. That Spotted Sandpiper is not in Geordie Land
Old Monday 5th November 2018, 11:43   #22
Jan-Paul Charteris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
Look how he blends in with the tarmac

Old Monday 5th November 2018, 17:32   #23
duncan fraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoghornKinghorn View Post
North of it, not south. That Spotted Sandpiper is not in Geordie Land
Not according to Wikipedia- Gateshead and South Shields are included, so is Jarrow
Old Monday 5th November 2018, 17:50   #24
Farnboro John

Quote:
Not according to Wikipedia- Gateshead and South Shields are included, so is Jarrow
Strangely, Wikipedia is one of those words that is ideal for pronouncing in a Geordie accent. Try it!

John
Old Monday 5th November 2018, 17:51   #25
bernie b

Quote:
Hartlepudlians from Hartlepool
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: