• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HBWAlive Key; mission accomplished or mission impossible? (1 Viewer)

Thanks Björn. I agree with your emmae and livingstonii (previously assumed), and had always suspected that gonada had something to do with generation, so have edited those entries accordingly (thanks also to Martin). I shall keep sophiae on the back-burner (two names are affected Psaltria and Pteruthius; I wonder if a member of the French royal family is intended?). Carry on ploughing through your Greek lexicon.

Last edited:
Psaltria sophia

• the invalid "Psaltria Sophia" DAVID 1874 (here, in text), from "Kiang-si", China (no dedication) [Syn. Psaltria exilis TEMMINCK 1836], described by the French missionary Abbé (Father) Armand David (1826–1900).

Could it possibly be from the Greek sophia σοφία (wisdom), as in (Sophia, capitalized) the Personification of Wisdom (Koinē Greek: Σοφία), as of here ... ? Just an idea.

If not, I would try to find his Mother. Years would/could/might fit. As Abbé/Père (Father) David was a (devout) Catholic Priest, I don't expect there's a Wife to be found (nor any kids/daughters) ;). According to French Wiki Armand David was born "7 septembre 1826 à Espelette en Pays", (i.e. Espelette/Ezpeleta), in the Southwest of France (on the very Border to the Basque Country, today's Spain), Son of "Dominique David, est médecin et maire du village". Surely a wife of a maire (Mayor) ought to be possible to find?
His mother was called Rosalie on his birth record ([here], hoping the link remains valid). (And she is given as "Rosalie-Marie" [here]. No Sophie among his direct relatives either, apparently.)

Of course, "Psaltria Sophia" is nude in David 1874, which is the only source referenced in the Richmond Index. It was made available in the second volume of David's Journal de mon troisième voyage d'exploration dans l'empire chinois, published in 1875: [here].

This name is certainly not a synonym of Psaltria exilis, as currently suggested in the Key. (P. exilis is a Javanese endemic.) This is a bird David caught in Tsitou, "Kiang-si" = Jiangxi, China. He described it as having the size and shape of Psaltria concinna (now Aegithalos concinnus), but with rufous restricted to the front part of the head, the black throat patch lacking and replaced by a necklace of small black spots, and whitish instead of rufous-toned underparts. He thought the bird was an adult and proposed the name in case it proved indeed to be a new species; but he was nevertheless not fully certain it was not a young Ae. concinnus -- a possibility that his description does not appear to exclude. (He added that if the bird proved to be a young concinnus, this would bring the proof that Paridae go through an immature plumage before reaching their adult plumage, and would also justify revisiting the status of Mecistura vinacea Verreaux, which might then be a young Mecistura glaucogularis Gould.)

Hellmayr listed Psaltria sophia in the synonymy of Ae. concinnus [here]. (And, [here] -- as [wisely ;) ?] predicted by David in case this proved to be the case -- he also listed Mecistura vinacea as a synonym of Ae. caudatus glaucogularis.)

Note that David did not use a genitive for this name (while he did in every other eponym he proposed elsewhere, so far as I can find), and in 1875 he wrote it with a lower-case s (while eponyms in this book were consistently capitalized -- e.g., see the species list on p.39 et seq. ; he may conceivably have had a better control of this type of thing in his own book than in the 1874 journal article). Is this really an eponym ?

Last edited:
At least this (the second) one looks like a proper eponym; "ALLOTRIUS SOPHIÆ" (Jules) VERREAUX 1871 (here), all in French (beyond me) ... but equally linked to Père David. (Key: "syn. Pteruthius xanthochlorus pallidus")

/B

PS. Laurent; well done, eliminating Père David's Mother :t:
--

Last edited:
Björn and Laurent,
re sophia. Thank you, Laurent, for identifying the correct citation and synonym. My reading of David 1875, spurred by your remarks and observations, indicates that this is not an eponym, but a noun, as shown by Björn. I have edited the entry in the Key.

Last edited:
I had another go at yet another one of those newly added, unidentified names (listed in James's post #228), this time ...

cela as in:
• the South American species Yellow-rumped Cacique Cacicus cela LINNAEUS 1758 (here), as "[Parus] Cela"

... with a single, unclear and insufficient (to say the least!), reference to "Mus. Ad. Fr. 2. p. . . " [i.e. (in short) "Museum Regis Adolphi Friderici", Second volume (yet unpublished in 1758, though later)], published in 1764 (here), where the Aves (Birds) starts on p.11. The tricky part is that there's no bird by the name cela (or "Cela") in this volume! The only one that could/might fit today's Yellow-rumped Cacique (as far as I can tell, not knowing Latin! Simply helped by Google Translate) is described on p. 31, as [TANAGRA] "albirostris"! (here).

Which does fit Linnaeus's Systema naturae 1766 (here), where "albirostris" (for some odd reason) is listed twice! (on both p.315 and p.316!). And note that there's no Tanagra by the name cela (alt. "Cela") in the 1766 edition ... !?

Confirmed by the Richmond card (here): "... albirostris Linnaeus, 1764 ... = Parus cela L., 1758."

If the Latin text/context of Linnaeus's "albirostris" can help, in any way, with the Etymology of "Cela" is beyond me.

Could it possibly origin in the Latin celu, caelum (sky, heaven), or maybe celo/cēlō (hide), celare (to conceal), hidden, obscure, (in a mist) ... ?

If nothing else, the Great Linnaeus managed (at least for a while) to hide it from me/us. ;)

Good luck solving it!

Björn
_

Last edited:
An addition to homeyeri

While reading Cabanis's description of Lanius excubitor homeyeri, it strikes me that homeyeri honours not one (i.e. Eugen) Homeyer, but both cousins Alexander von Homeyer and Eugen von Homeyer. Here is the Cabanis reference.

Many of the other homeyeris do refer solely to Eugen von Homeyer (e.g. Sitta caesia homeyeri). However, Aquila chrysaetos homeyeri is in honour of Alexander von Homeyer (who used the synonym Aquila fulva fuscicapilla), see Severtzov's reference here.

---------------

Joek Roex
http://birdsandwords.eu

Last edited:
The OD of Lanius excubitor homeyeri CABANIS 1873 (here), as "Lanius Homeyeri", says the same (at least as far as I can tell):
... Um so gebotener erschien es, den Namen zweier bewährten Ornithologen, E u g e n und A l e x a n d e r v. H o m e y e r, welche sich besonders um die rationelle Förderung der europäischen Ornis in hervorragender Weise verdient gemacht haben, zum bleibenden Andenken an eine europäische Vogelart zu knüpfen. ...
Well noted, Joek! :t:

Björn

PS. One minor thing, Joek (just to be picky!). If you find other names, that need some modifications, corrections, or an additional paragraph, like this one, please post them in another thread, or in one of their own (just start one!). This, as homeyeri wasn't included in James' post # 1 (or ditto's #228). This thread is already over-loaded, getting a bit hard to grasp. ;)

PS. One minor thing, Joek (just to be picky!). If you find other names, that need some modifications, corrections, or an additional paragraph, like this one, please post them in another thread, or in one of their own (just start one!). This, as homeyeri wasn't included in James' post # 1 (or ditto's #228). This thread is already over-loaded, getting a bit hard to grasp. ;)

Thanks, Björn, I was wondering about this. Will do in future. (Still new at this game.)

Joek

---------------

Joek Roex

While we're at it (and still in this thread ;)) ... here are some (maybe all?) of Homeyer's Birds (except for the "Lanius Homeyeri" CABANIS 1873, OD in post #249):

• White-vented Whistler Pachycephala homeyeri BLASIUS 1890 (here), as "Hyloterpe Homeyeri"

• the ssp. Aquila chrysaetos homeyeri SEVERTSOV 1888 (here), as "Aq. [Aquila] fulva Homeyeri"

• the invalid "Phyllopseuste Homeyeri" DYBOWSKI 1883 (here, pp.8-9)

• the invalid "Sitta caesia homeyeri" SEEBOHM 1890 (here, in text, bottom of page, there a nomen nudum), but see HARTERT 1892 (here)

• the (even more) invalid (artefact) "Aegialitis Homeyeri" C. L. BREHM 1855 (here). See Richmond card here.

And the last one ...
• "Fuligula Homeyeri"* BAEDEKER 1852 (alt. 1851?), here (and Plate here)

That's all the homeyeri birds that I can find.

Enjoy!

Björn

PS. And good luck evaluating them.

While we're at it (and still in this thread ;)) ... here are some (maybe all?) of Homeyer's Birds (except for the "Lanius Homeyeri" CABANIS 1873, OD in post #249):

• White-vented Whistler Pachycephala homeyeri BLASIUS 1890 (here), as "Hyloterpe Homeyeri"

For Eugen von Homeyer. Blasius: 'Ich benenne die Art zu Ehren des im vorigen Jahre aus dem Leben geschiedenen Altmeisters der europäischen und peläarctischen Ornithologie E. F. von Homeyer und in dankbarer Erinnerung an die mir von demselben bewiesene Freundschaft.' [I name the species in honour of the grandfather of European and palaearctic ornithology E.F. von Homeyer, who died last year, and in grateful memory for his friendship.]

• the ssp. Aquila chrysaetos homeyeri SEVERTSOV 1888 (here), as "Aq. [Aquila] fulva Homeyeri"

For Alexander von Homeyer. This is interesting. Severtsov: 'Voici d'abord ce qu'en dit M. A. von Homeyer, dont je traduis la notice:' [Here is first what Mr. A. von Homeyer says, of which I translate the record:]. What follows then is Homeyer's description, though the name is Severtsov's.

• the invalid "Phyllopseuste Homeyeri" DYBOWSKI 1883 (here, pp.8-9)

Dybowski does not mention which Homeyer he honours, but E.F. von Homeyer has described Phyllopseustes before, e.g. Ph. coronatus, so I assume it is him.

The Internet Archive is carrying out maintenance, so it stops here for now ;)

Short continuation on the Homeyer sidetrack ...

Alexander von Homeyer (1834–1903), in (Neue) Deutsche Biographie (here).

Born 19th of January 1834, in the (Pomeranian/Prussian) village Vorland bei Grimmen (in today's NE Germany) ... died 14th of July 1903, in the town Greifswald (same area).

/B

PS. By age I assume he´s not the one commemorated in the invalid Duck "Fuligula Homeyeri" BAEDEKER (1851/52); "... dem Freiherrn von Homeyer". On that one I´d go for his older, more famous cousin; the German (Pomeranian) ornithologist Eugen Ferdinand von Homeyer (1809–1889), ... who apparently (also) could be titled Freiherr, as for example, here [an inheritance of his (at that point deceased) father Gottlieb von Homeyer (1765–1847), who'd recieved this fancy title (Reichsadel/Imperial nobility) in 1797].

Part 2

• the invalid "Sitta caesia homeyeri" SEEBOHM 1890 (here, in text, bottom of page, there a nomen nudum), but see HARTERT 1892 (here)

Hartert mentions E.F. von Homeyer.

• the (even more) invalid (artefact) "Aegialitis Homeyeri" C. L. BREHM 1855 (here). See Richmond card here.

E.F. von Homeyer and Brehm knew each other, they travelled together, and went shooting together as shown by the attached pic (they had a mutual acquaintance in Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria).

And the last one ...
• "Fuligula Homeyeri"* BAEDEKER 1852 (alt. 1851?), here (and Plate here)

Alexander von Homeyer enrolled in the Prussian army in 1852. Presumably he was already 'birding', considering he started publishing letters about birds in 1857. Still it is more likely Baedeker honours Eugen von Homeyer here, especially considering the title of Freiherr (± baron), although Alexander using the von particle in his surname means he considered himself part of the nobility. However, E.F. von Homeyer was the established ornithologist with publications. I would go with him.

Joek

---------------

Joek Roex

Attachments

• 30217161694.jpg
    30217161694.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 9
One step forward, two steps back . . . .
Further to #1 and #228 I have uncovered six more unidentified eponyms and another undiscovered epithet that may interest readers (see the appropriate Key entry for fuller details);
(1) evangelinae, khosrovi, monica, nataliae, rosamariae (this has been investigated before), violetae.
(2) zya

zya

I don't know the etymology, but from the description I'd make this a Dunnock.

("Back, wings and auricular area varied with dark brown and rufous. Chin white. Neck as well as breast greyish." "Belly whitish. Wing and tail feathers dark brown, with a rufescent edge to the thinner side. Head brownish-grey." The placement in Sylvia suggests a thin-billed bird. "In M.p." stands for "In Museo proprio" -- in his own collection, thus this should be a local bird.)

__
PS - evangelinae: this is in vol. 14, not 15 as currently indicated in the Key - https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/9186361.

Last edited:
I don't know the etymology, but from the description I'd make this a Dunnock.

Which is what Scopoli has as the vernacular (Braunelligen) here Bemerkungen aus der Natur-Geschichte (Leipzig: Hilcher, 1770). Or would this be Dunnock-like? Not particularly Rock Bunting area.

Could be an onomatopoeia.

Last edited:
Which is what Scopoli has as the vernacular (Braunelligen) here Bemerkungen aus der Natur-Geschichte (Leipzig: Hilcher, 1770). Or would this be Dunnock-like?
This is a note added by the translator. (See the title page - "aus dem Lateinischen übersetzt und mit einigen Anmerkungen versehen von D. Friedrich Christian Günther"; note the "G." below this Anmerkung.)

I understand it as saying that this small bird is named the Braunelligen in Upper Saxony and Thuringia.
(I think -(i)gen here is a diminutive form, not a suffix meaning -like. See also 'Dieses Vögelgen' in the same sentence [cf. Dutch "dit vogelke"]; both 'Vögelgen' and "Braunelligen' are treated as singular neuter ['dieses'/'das']; neuter is consistent with a diminutive as well, I believe.)

Last edited:
This is an note added by the translator. (See the title page - "aus dem Lateinsichen übersetzt und mit einigen Anmerkungen versehen von D. Friedrich Christian Günther"; note the "G." below this Anmerkung.)

I understand it as saying that this small bird is named the Braunelligen in Upper Saxony and Thuringia.
(I think -(i)gen here is a diminutive form, not a suffix meaning -like. See also 'Dieses Vögelgen' in the same sentence [cf. Dutch "dit vogelke"]; both 'Vögelgen' and "Braunelligen' are treated as singular neuter ['dieses'/'das']; neuter is consistent with a diminutive as well, I believe.)

I was not thinking of diminutives as I probably expected the German -chen as the standard diminutive here. But it seems -gen was indeed the standard at the time.

He described it as having the size and shape of Psaltria concinna (now Aegithalos concinnus), but with rufous restricted to the front part of the head, the black throat patch lacking and replaced by a necklace of small black spots, and whitish instead of rufous-toned underparts. He thought the bird was an adult and proposed the name in case it proved indeed to be a new species; but he was nevertheless not fully certain it was not a young Ae. concinnus -- a possibility that his description does not appear to exclude. (He added that if the bird proved to be a young concinnus, this would bring the proof that Paridae go through an immature plumage before reaching their adult plumage, and would also justify revisiting the status of Mecistura vinacea Verreaux, which might then be a young Mecistura glaucogularis Gould.)

A young Ae. concinnus photo attached.

Brian

Attachments

• A. concinnus imm b small.jpg
    A. concinnus imm b small.jpg
    1,008.3 KB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back