Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
ZEISS Summer Savings - Experience unique moments of nature. Save up to £250 on selected ZEISS Binoculars - limited time only!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

HBWAlive Key; mission accomplished or mission impossible?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 10th September 2019, 15:15   #251
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

While we're at it (and still in this thread ) ... here are some (maybe all?) of Homeyer's Birds (except for the "Lanius Homeyeri" CABANIS 1873, OD in post #249):

• White-vented Whistler Pachycephala homeyeri BLASIUS 1890 (here), as "Hyloterpe Homeyeri"

• the ssp. Aquila chrysaetos homeyeri SEVERTSOV 1888 (here), as "Aq. [Aquila] fulva Homeyeri"

• the invalid "Phyllopseuste Homeyeri" DYBOWSKI 1883 (here, pp.8-9)

• the invalid "Sitta caesia homeyeri" SEEBOHM 1890 (here, in text, bottom of page, there a nomen nudum), but see HARTERT 1892 (here)

• the (even more) invalid (artefact) "Aegialitis Homeyeri" C. L. BREHM 1855 (here). See Richmond card here.

And the last one ...
• "Fuligula Homeyeri"* BAEDEKER 1852 (alt. 1851?), here (and Plate here)

That's all the homeyeri birds that I can find.

Enjoy!

Björn

PS. And good luck evaluating them.
Old Tuesday 10th September 2019, 18:07   #252
joekroex
Joek Roex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalp View Post
While we're at it (and still in this thread ) ... here are some (maybe all?) of Homeyer's Birds (except for the "Lanius Homeyeri" CABANIS 1873, OD in post #249):

• White-vented Whistler Pachycephala homeyeri BLASIUS 1890 (here), as "Hyloterpe Homeyeri"
For Eugen von Homeyer. Blasius: 'Ich benenne die Art zu Ehren des im vorigen Jahre aus dem Leben geschiedenen Altmeisters der europäischen und peläarctischen Ornithologie E. F. von Homeyer und in dankbarer Erinnerung an die mir von demselben bewiesene Freundschaft.' [I name the species in honour of the grandfather of European and palaearctic ornithology E.F. von Homeyer, who died last year, and in grateful memory for his friendship.]

Quote:
• the ssp. Aquila chrysaetos homeyeri SEVERTSOV 1888 (here), as "Aq. [Aquila] fulva Homeyeri"
For Alexander von Homeyer. This is interesting. Severtsov: 'Voici d'abord ce qu'en dit M. A. von Homeyer, dont je traduis la notice:' [Here is first what Mr. A. von Homeyer says, of which I translate the record:]. What follows then is Homeyer's description, though the name is Severtsov's.

Quote:
• the invalid "Phyllopseuste Homeyeri" DYBOWSKI 1883 (here, pp.8-9)
Dybowski does not mention which Homeyer he honours, but E.F. von Homeyer has described Phyllopseustes before, e.g. Ph. coronatus, so I assume it is him.

The Internet Archive is carrying out maintenance, so it stops here for now
Old Wednesday 11th September 2019, 07:35   #253
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Short continuation on the Homeyer sidetrack ...

Alexander von Homeyer (1834–1903), in (Neue) Deutsche Biographie (here).

Born 19th of January 1834, in the (Pomeranian/Prussian) village Vorland bei Grimmen (in today's NE Germany) ... died 14th of July 1903, in the town Greifswald (same area).

/B

PS. By age I assume he´s not the one commemorated in the invalid Duck "Fuligula Homeyeri" BAEDEKER (1851/52); "... dem Freiherrn von Homeyer". On that one I´d go for his older, more famous cousin; the German (Pomeranian) ornithologist Eugen Ferdinand von Homeyer (1809–1889), ... who apparently (also) could be titled Freiherr, as for example, here [an inheritance of his (at that point deceased) father Gottlieb von Homeyer (1765–1847), who'd recieved this fancy title (Reichsadel/Imperial nobility) in 1797].
Old Wednesday 11th September 2019, 10:22   #254
joekroex
Joek Roex

Part 2

Quote:
• the invalid "Sitta caesia homeyeri" SEEBOHM 1890 (here, in text, bottom of page, there a nomen nudum), but see HARTERT 1892 (here)
Hartert mentions E.F. von Homeyer.

Quote:
• the (even more) invalid (artefact) "Aegialitis Homeyeri" C. L. BREHM 1855 (here). See Richmond card here.
E.F. von Homeyer and Brehm knew each other, they travelled together, and went shooting together as shown by the attached pic (they had a mutual acquaintance in Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria).

Quote:
And the last one ...
• "Fuligula Homeyeri"* BAEDEKER 1852 (alt. 1851?), here (and Plate here)
Alexander von Homeyer enrolled in the Prussian army in 1852. Presumably he was already 'birding', considering he started publishing letters about birds in 1857. Still it is more likely Baedeker honours Eugen von Homeyer here, especially considering the title of Freiherr (± baron), although Alexander using the von particle in his surname means he considered himself part of the nobility. However, E.F. von Homeyer was the established ornithologist with publications. I would go with him.

Joek

---------------

Joek Roex
http://birdsandwords.eu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30217161694.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	704596  
Old Yesterday, 09:57   #255
James Jobling

One step forward, two steps back . . . .
Further to #1 and #228 I have uncovered six more unidentified eponyms and another undiscovered epithet that may interest readers (see the appropriate Key entry for fuller details);
(1) evangelinae, khosrovi, monica, nataliae, rosamariae (this has been investigated before), violetae.
(2) zya
Old Yesterday, 10:17   #256
l_raty
laurent raty

zya

I don't know the etymology, but from the description I'd make this a Dunnock.

("Back, wings and auricular area varied with dark brown and rufous. Chin white. Neck as well as breast greyish." "Belly whitish. Wing and tail feathers dark brown, with a rufescent edge to the thinner side. Head brownish-grey." The placement in Sylvia suggests a thin-billed bird. "In M.p." stands for "In Museo proprio" -- in his own collection, thus this should be a local bird.)

__
PS - evangelinae: this is in vol. 14, not 15 as currently indicated in the Key - https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/9186361.

Last edited by l_raty : Yesterday at 14:25.
Old Yesterday, 11:25   #257
joekroex
Joek Roex

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_raty View Post
Which is what Scopoli has as the vernacular (Braunelligen) here Bemerkungen aus der Natur-Geschichte (Leipzig: Hilcher, 1770). Or would this be Dunnock-like? Not particularly Rock Bunting area.

Could be an onomatopoeia.

Last edited by joekroex : Yesterday at 11:29.
Old Yesterday, 12:16   #258
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekroex View Post
Which is what Scopoli has as the vernacular (Braunelligen) here Bemerkungen aus der Natur-Geschichte (Leipzig: Hilcher, 1770). Or would this be Dunnock-like?
This is a note added by the translator. (See the title page - "aus dem Lateinischen übersetzt und mit einigen Anmerkungen versehen von D. Friedrich Christian Günther"; note the "G." below this Anmerkung.)

I understand it as saying that this small bird is named the Braunelligen in Upper Saxony and Thuringia.
(I think -(i)gen here is a diminutive form, not a suffix meaning -like. See also 'Dieses Vögelgen' in the same sentence [cf. Dutch "dit vogelke"]; both 'Vögelgen' and "Braunelligen' are treated as singular neuter ['dieses'/'das']; neuter is consistent with a diminutive as well, I believe.)

Last edited by l_raty : Yesterday at 15:15.
Old Yesterday, 12:45   #259
joekroex
Joek Roex

Quote:
This is an note added by the translator. (See the title page - "aus dem Lateinsichen übersetzt und mit einigen Anmerkungen versehen von D. Friedrich Christian Günther"; note the "G." below this Anmerkung.)

I understand it as saying that this small bird is named the Braunelligen in Upper Saxony and Thuringia.
(I think -(i)gen here is a diminutive form, not a suffix meaning -like. See also 'Dieses Vögelgen' in the same sentence [cf. Dutch "dit vogelke"]; both 'Vögelgen' and "Braunelligen' are treated as singular neuter ['dieses'/'das']; neuter is consistent with a diminutive as well, I believe.)
I was not thinking of diminutives as I probably expected the German -chen as the standard diminutive here. But it seems -gen was indeed the standard at the time.
Old Yesterday, 13:24   #260
Brian J Small

Quote:
He described it as having the size and shape of Psaltria concinna (now Aegithalos concinnus), but with rufous restricted to the front part of the head, the black throat patch lacking and replaced by a necklace of small black spots, and whitish instead of rufous-toned underparts. He thought the bird was an adult and proposed the name in case it proved indeed to be a new species; but he was nevertheless not fully certain it was not a young Ae. concinnus -- a possibility that his description does not appear to exclude. (He added that if the bird proved to be a young concinnus, this would bring the proof that Paridae go through an immature plumage before reaching their adult plumage, and would also justify revisiting the status of Mecistura vinacea Verreaux, which might then be a young Mecistura glaucogularis Gould.)
A young Ae. concinnus photo attached.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A. concinnus imm b small.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1,008.3 KB
ID:	705174  
Old Yesterday, 14:00   #261
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian J Small View Post
A young Ae. concinnus photo attached.
A nice illustration of the description, Brian. (And a nice picture, too. )
Old Yesterday, 15:15   #262
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
This is a note added by the translator. (See the title page - "aus dem Lateinischen übersetzt und mit einigen Anmerkungen versehen von D. Friedrich Christian Günther"; note the "G." below this Anmerkung.)
[Here], the same Friedrich Christian Günther uses "Braunelle" for a bird, also saying us that Linné called it Motacilla modularis and (on the next page) that Scopoli called it Sylvia Zya.
See also the synonymy [here]. (With an interesting, apparently unrecorded 'Braunella' cited as a generic name (= Prunella Vieillot, 'contaminated' by the German vernacular). )

(The main caveat, of course, is that this only tells us what these authors thought the bird was. Other authors appear to have entertained different opinions and, at the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is what Scopoli himself had in mind... I stand by my ID, though -- for me the description matches a Dunnock pretty well.)

Last edited by l_raty : Yesterday at 21:05.
Old Today, 07:28   #263
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

zya

Quote:
Maybe noteworthy, among the many (many!) Italian Common/Vernacular names for "Die Hecken-Braunelle, Accentor modularis (L.)" [today's (European) Dunnock/Hedge Accentor Prunella modularis], listed by Naumann (1905, here), we find (for example); Passera de sces, alt. Passera de sés or Passera de sera.

Not that far away from Scopoli's "Sylvia zya" ...

/B

PS. Also (even if a bit hesitant) see Gloger's Vollständiges Handbuch der Naturgeschichte der Vögel Europa's ... (from 1834), for the same bird: "... = SYLVIA modularis Lth. — S. zya Scp.? — ... (here). However, no generic "Braunella" in sight. Even if called Braunellen (top of page, which I assume is German).
--

Last edited by Calalp : Today at 09:44. Reason: PS.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: