• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x42BGAT vs 7x42 Ultravid (1 Viewer)

A fleeting visit as I don't watch birds other than as a secondary activity to my deer stalking. I have a pair of 7x42BGATs that are 8 years old. They have been superb but a recent purchase of some 8x32ELs has me wondering if the new generation of optics might offer me a bit more performance? My requirements in changing would be increased brightness at very low light levels.

The BGATs have class leading FOV (150m) and could not be more comfortable to use (other than the 8x32ELs but that's a size thing)

Has anyone experience between the 7x42BGAT and the 7x42 Ultravid. The Ultravid would need to be quite a lot brighter or clearer to make up for the reduced FOV which is very important.

Also any reviews of the new FL Victories. The ergonomics don't look so great to me.....

Anders Bræstrup said:
With a bit of common sense you can understand the testresults from www.kikkertspesialisten.no - it's in nowegian but I think it will make sense to you.
- click on 'tester' and you will get to some .pdf files.

FWIW They give scores for the contrast, sharpness, edge sharpness and brightness. Babel Fish should provide a translation of the headings. The results for Zeiss optics always seem worse than expected - based on other reviews and my own experience.

No new bino necessary

Hi,

although Leica Ultravid and some other new genaration binos are excellent there was no real revolution in bino construction since 7x42 Zeiss Dialyt construction. So the differences I see are quite small. I had the opportunity to try the new Zeiss FL Victory and I think they are the best 7x42 available today. But if this is worth to pay that more money? Only you can decide this question after try and compare your old dialyt with the newer ones.

Regards

Steve

I would hang on for a little while and try to evaluate the Ultravids against the new Zeiss FL. I have tried the 7x42FL and it was excellent in every respect, notably the cleanest I have ever used in terms of lack of CA. Determining brightness was a little difficult on the day as it was very sunny and there wasn't much in the way of dark shadows to analyse.
Ergonomics is a personal thing and I really didn't have use of these binos for long enough to really get a feel for them in that regard.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back