• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10 X 25 Premier LXL Binoculars folding size (1 Viewer)

I had a pair of Leica 10x25 Ultravids, which I left in a taxi in Asia. :'D I like compacts for travel, but I don't want to lose $700+ again on a set of compacts. And, I travel a lot.

Most reviews I have seen compare the Nikon 10 X 25 Premier LXL Binoculars favorably with the Leica's. However, I cannot tell from the web if the binoculars fold up for carrying like the Leica's. The Leicas fold to about 2.5 inches wide when carrying in the case. Are the Nikons the same in that the fold up to about 2.5 inches wide when in the carrying case?

I also looked at Pentax 8x25 DCF SW Binoculars. At $114, these are looseable. They have long eye relief, however, I have no idea about the quality.

Thanks for your help!

ps. I use binos for birding.

Last edited:
Pentax 8x25 DCF SW Binoculars are OK not great. The FOV is very narrow though 5.5 degrees. Rather stiff focus.

Take a look at the Minox 8x25 BV. Single hinge so they may be a bit big for you. No one has reviewed them yet but they have a good FOV. Eagle Optics has them on closeout.

Pentax 8x25 DCF SW Binoculars are OK not great. The FOV is very narrow though 5.5 degrees. Rather stiff focus.

Take a look at the Minox 8x25 BV. Single hinge so they may be a bit big for you. No one has reviewed them yet but they have a good FOV. Eagle Optics has them on closeout.

Thanks for the heads up on the Minox. That could be the right option for me. However, as you guessed, I am stuttering over the 3.9" width caused by the single hinge. Hmmm.

Thank you all of you for your replies so far.

The Nikon Premier/XLX 10x25 fits in the Ultravid 10X25 nylon case! As you know the case fits the Ultravid snugly. The Ultravid case fits the Nikon with the same comfort as it fits the Ultravid.

I own the Leica 10 X25 Ultravid and the Nikon 10X25 LXL. I would recommend both of them equally. The Nikon appears larger but in reality it seems to be the same size.

I use both all the time. There are differences but both are excellent. No serious problems (in my opinion). I have not seen a better performer at the Nikon LXLs price in these small binoculars. The other popular model is the Zeiss. All three are very useable for birding, theater, travel etc. when a larger binocular is not available. And vastly better than no binocular.

The Nikon, like the Ultravid are comfortable to use for long periods of time (but not as comfortable as larger bins). But far better then lesser quality 10x25 binoculars which my eyes do not appreciate.

Without these wonderful small bins I would not be able to bird while bicycling, touring, kayaking, backpacking, while the significant other is in a store, at airports, or while I am out walking at lunch time at work. I have seen some of my best birds - because I had them in my pocket. Probably the most important binocular to own if you want to bird continuously and are physically active! Of course - not a substitue for a larger binocular. But what good is big if its home becasue it was too big to carry?

The flare control is excellent on both. The Ultravid has slightly better control in some tough back lighting conditions (not enough to prefer one over the other). As you may have guessed I am happy with both the Nikon and Ultravid.

If you want me to photograph a particular view of either (or both) let me know.

Good birding

Attachments

• IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0374.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0376.JPG
    IMG_0376.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on the Minox. That could be the right option for me. However, as you guessed, I am stuttering over the 3.9" width caused by the single hinge. Hmmm.

Thank you all of you for your replies so far.

When you stutter, you will vibrate the compacts. :)

I find compact roofs too dainty for my Big Lebowski hands. I have hard enough time holding a 10x42 steady, I can't imagine how someone can hold a 10x25 steady, with almost no weight to dampen bad vibrations, but at least it's longer than the 8x21 so you can get more "paw" on it.

Nonetheless, four out of five surgeons recommend the 10x25 LX/LX L over the 8x21 LX for its better resolution. They are the only ones who have steady enough hands for the 10xs. :)

I also know someone who owns nearly a dozen compact roofs, mostly high end, so obviously some people find them charming, and I can understand the convenience of owning "pocket bins" but I'd have to move south to sunnier skies to take advantage of the small exit pupil for more than the summer months, and I'd also need to have a hand reduction operation, hopefully, by one of those four out of five surgeons.

An 8x30 is as low as I like to go, but I might try an 8x28.

Here's an inexpensive compact that has garnered some good reviews.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/bushnell/bushnell-excursion-8x28-binocular

It doesn't fold up, but you get a larger exit pupil (3.5mm) and larger objectives that should work well for you even in Upper Mongolia. And at $95, if you leave it in a taxi, at least you won't be over tipping too much. :)

Last edited:
I had a pair of Leica 10x25 Ultravids, which I left in a taxi in Asia. :'D I like compacts for travel, but I don't want to lose $700+ again on a set of compacts. And, I travel a lot.

Most reviews I have seen compare the Nikon 10 X 25 Premier LXL Binoculars favorably with the Leica's. However, I cannot tell from the web if the binoculars fold up for carrying like the Leica's. The Leicas fold to about 2.5 inches wide when carrying in the case. Are the Nikons the same in that the fold up to about 2.5 inches wide when in the carrying case?

I also looked at Pentax 8x25 DCF SW Binoculars. At $114, these are looseable. They have long eye relief, however, I have no idea about the quality.

Thanks for your help!

ps. I use binos for birding.

Although it's unfortunate that you lost your Leica 10x25, it might be well to avoid a low cost replacement. I discussed my own addiction to the Swaro 10x25 on another thread, http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1756527#post1756527(post #26) based on using them for 17 yrs. If they were lost I'd bite my lip and get another pair.

If you buy another pair of Ultravids it will hurt for a while. If you buy something of lower quality, the loss may be noticed much longer. Nikons are a very reasonable option, but try before you buy.

Ed

I'd have to move south to sunnier skies to take advantage of the small exit pupil for more than the summer months

An 8x30 is as low as I like to go, but I might try an 8x28.

One comment - I own a pair of Pentax 10X28 DCF MP bins which cost about $200 when I purchased them. Acceptable quality (in my opinion but no where near the quality of the Ultravid and Nikon).

I expected the 10x28 to be brighter than the 10x25 due to the larger objective.

I was wrong.

Both the Nikon and Ultravid are better performers in all categories than this 10x28 including noticeably brighter in low light than the larger 10x28 and the views are better with the 10x25! I got what I paid for with these high quality bins. I find the Ultravid and Nikon 10x25 useable till a little after sunset here in the north east year round. Some eyes need more light than others. "Try before you buy" is good advice for any binocular purchase.

Last edited:
The Zeiss Victory 10x25T* folds to 3" wide. I find the single hinge easier to use than two hinges. The sharpness, brightness and clarity is amazing for such a small model.

I am gravitating back toward the Nikon at about half the price of the Leica's. Thanks for all the very helpful replies! -especially Tvc15_2000, a picture is worth a thousand words. So, you have several thousand words there. :)

I need to look at some of the other reviews, but as I recall most people prefer the 10x over the 8x's? Brocknroller pointed this out. Would others of you agree?

I did okay with my 10x Leica's but thought it might be nice to reduce the shaking a bit. These may become part of my 40th birthday present, so my shaking is not going to get less. With my Leica's 10x25's I often astounded people with full size binos by being able to identify birds more quickly then themselves. Outstanding binos; they were my only binos till now. Can you tell I am still sick for losing them. :)

Have any of you tried wearing the Nikon's with glasses? The Leica's said 15mm, but I did not meet anybody who could see well through them while wearing glasses. My right eye has begun to deteriorate so I may not be long without glasses.

Thanks again. You guys are extremely helpful!

Last edited:
I need to look at some of the other reviews, but as I recall most people prefer the 10x over the 8x's? Brocknroller pointed this out. Would others of you agree?

I did okay with my 10x Leica's but thought it might be nice to reduce the shaking a bit. These may become part of my 40th birthday present, so my shaking is not going to get less. With my Leica's 10x25's I often astounded people with full size binos by being able to identify birds more quickly then themselves. Outstanding binos; they were my only binos till now. Can you tell I am still sick for losing them. :)

Have any of you tried wearing the Nikon's with glasses? The Leica's said 15mm, but I did not meet anybody who could see well through them while wearing glasses. My right eye has begun to deteriorate so I may not be long without glasses.

Thanks again. You guys are extremely helpful!

Actually, when it comes to compact binoculars, I believe that most folks, and particularly reviewers, tend to orient to the 8x20 configuration. There are several reasons stated to defend this position, most of which I disagree with, but for people who actually use compacts day to day I believe the story would be different.

After making several comparisons with my wife's 8x20 SLC, I find that it's easier to hold the 10x25 steady. This may be because there is so little weight to damp vibrations, or because I've learned the right holding technique. (You'd have to age 35 yrs. to develop my level of shake. ;))

Perhaps it's counter intuitive, but I believe that a high quality optic with a 2.5mm exit pupil is actually beneficial for aging eyes. With a 10x25 I can get along without using glasses because the instrument provides an artificial pupil that restricts my vision to the central part of the cornea/lens. That's the part with fewest aberrations. Nature pulls the same trick, incidentally, by severely limiting pupil dilation as one grows older. Not to worry, though, in low light the retina is also dark adapting over six orders of magnitude, so brightness loss due to a small exit pupil is really minimal.

Ed

I am gravitating back toward the Nikon at about half the price of the Leica's. Thanks for all the very helpful replies! -especially Tvc15_2000, a picture is worth a thousand words. So, you have several thousand words there. :)

I need to look at some of the other reviews, but as I recall most people prefer the 10x over the 8x's? Brocknroller pointed this out. Would others of you agree? ....

Those were surgeons, remember. :) From several threads on Cloudy Nights and Birdforum, the 10x25 LX L seems to more popular than the 8x21 LX L, which surprised me, and several birders who either had both or tried both, felt the 10x25 was noticeably sharper.

Someone gave an explanation for this, which others agreed, but I can't remember what it was (that is, why even with the greater shakes, the 10x25 still rules). Perhaps the twilight factor?? The larger objectives?

Something to do with 21mm being inadequate, I think. If anyone remembers those threads, please chime in.

Some birders have also argued that as they get older, their eyesight isn't as good so they like having the extra power to compensate. I supposed that depends on what your eyesight problem is. If it's floaters, 10x isn't going to help!

Another reason they prefer the 10x25 is that the longer barrels make it more comfortable to hold (though you would think that advantage would be offset by the higher power).

In any case, my comments were specifically addressed to the LX L compacts, not other models. If I find those threads, I'll post links so you can read what the comments were.

I didn't know that the Leica compacts were your only binoculars you owned, which makes it a horse of a different color. Most people who have compacts also own mid-size or full sized bins.

If you only plan to own bin, it should be a good one. Wear it around your neck like jewelry and you won't leave it behind.

Does you wife or significant other accompany you on your Asian travels? If so, she might be interested in a pair of Swarovski 8x20 Crystal Pocket Binoculars. A fashion statement and usable bins in one package!

http://www.operaglasses.com/compact-binoculars/swarovski-compact-binoculars/idomeneo8x20crystalpocketbinocular.cfm

What Ed said about compacts small exit pupils reducing the effects of eye aberrations is true of any small exit pupil bin. A 20x60 will cut down on glare and minimize the effects of your astigmatism.

But the trade-offs for compacts are worse performance in low light situations and finicky eye placement, that is, compacts are more prone to image blackouts.

However, all these issues might be worth the trade-offs for their greater portability and convenience (the hinged roofs can be folded and put in your pocket).

If not for my Big Lebowksi hands, I would probably own a pair myself to use in the summer while out and about.

But as it stands, the compacts that best suit my hands are reverse porro compacts.

I have a Nikon 8x23 Venturer II, the bin that kicked off Stephen Ingraham's birding career. Now, of course, he uses a Zeiss!

Eyeonthesky - I have a Nikon 10x25 LX and always wear glasses. By resting my forefingers against my forehead and lightly pressing the LX to my glasses, I get the full field of view. Focusing is done by the little finger which at first was awkward. The Nikon is the best of the 10x25s.* I have big mitts like Brock - must have custom gloves made - and prefer the reverse porro compacts. Also, I'm rarely outside without wearing sunglasses, (prescription of course), and find that glasses help steady binoculars.
John

* The Nikon Diplomat 10x25 AS (aspheric lens) has superior resolution and color rendition over 75% of the field. But it isn't waterproof and was discontinued years ago.

I have now purchased a 7x36 Zen-Ray. So, the compacts will not be my only pair. But, the Zen-Ray are large, and I keep dreaming of compacts for the outings when I won't want to carry a large pair. I think this is what is meant by the downhill slope where I find myself without money but surrounded by a lot of binoculars?

My hands are medium sized so I don't think the smallness of the binos would bother me. In fact, smallness, (+resolution and durability) is probably the most important criteria for me. Oh, and loose-ability is now also somewhere on the list. I would like to keep all purchases under $400. Living where I live, I feel that I have tremendous privilege to be able to enjoy such optics - and to consider something around $400 loose-able.

brocknroller, cute binos. But i don't think I will show my wife or there would go my whole bino budget. ;-)

Last edited:
By resting my forefingers against my forehead and lightly pressing the LX to my glasses, I get the full field of view. Focusing is done by the little finger which at first was awkward.

You use the same technique I do to hold the binoculars steady. I actually like the focusing layout of the Nikon. However, I find I do not use my pinky to focus it - in fact, I use the ring or middle finger. I find it's easy to claw the right barrel with index and thumb, then focus with middle or sometimes ring finger. With Nikon putting the focuser on the "wrong" side, this allows you to keep that steady view while focusing! Novel idea, as I see it.

Oh, boy, you found "that" thread. Unlike today, I was quite verbal back then. ;)

By the way, Matt, the SLC compacts take a lot of heat for the focus control being up front, but like you I find it advantageous. Same with the 8x30 SLC. :t:

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back