• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Re-branded binoculars? Need a beater pair of bins (~$50) (1 Viewer)

karups

I'd like to get a pair of (relatively) compact binoculars to take on a fairly rugged hike/climb. There is a pretty decent chance that I will lose or break them, so I'm looking to spend $50-60 (street price...maybe retail price would be a bit more). Any suggestions?

At that price point, perhaps it doesn't really matter what you get. But I was thinking that it might be possible to find some cheap re-branded bins on eBay. The type made in Asia and sold to a reputable company because that company deemed them good enough, but also sold as a no-name brand for less. Any speculations on what might be re-brands?

Cheers,
Karups

Compact is a problem. But for cheap, try Nikon Sportstar 8x25, some 70 dollars. Trailblazer 8x25 may be waterproof. Same price class.

Last edited:
Hello Karups

In all but the "(relatively) compact " aspect I would recommend the Bushnell Trophys that are regularly available at auction for £35 - £45. Unfortunately they are not exactly light or compact.
They are as tough as old boots and sufficiently protected with their lens caps on to not need a case. I have found them better than anything else I have tried at that price. Superior to my similar priced Swift Plover 8x40s and only marginally inferior to my 8x36 Nikon Monarchs.

There is a suspicion that there may be some non genuine ones about though so take care. Quite a few threads on them if you search.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back