• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (3 Viewers)

I failed to see any of the quality birds that Mark's been seeing around the sewage works - it was pretty quiet when I walked round there. The most interesting bird today was quite striking big and dark looking argentatus Herring Gull that lingered offshore. Probably a 4th winter, as it seemed to have dark band in the bill and slightly more extensive black in the wing tips.

Otherwise, five Common Scoter, a Red-breasted Merganser, eight Red-throated Divers and two Long-tailed Ducks.

The fall of sanitaryware remains and interestingly I located another Toilet on the south bank. This must be an almost unprecedented khazi influx.

Some high quality pictures:
1-3. The argentatus Herring Gull
4. Today's Toilet - just a record shot of this skulking individual
5. One of the new pools at St Fittick's. It'll be rivalling Titchwell before long.

Attachments

• Scandi Herring Gull_Girdle Ness_220314c.jpg
    Scandi Herring Gull_Girdle Ness_220314c.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Scandi Herring Gull_Girdle Ness_220314a.jpg
    Scandi Herring Gull_Girdle Ness_220314a.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Scandi Herring Gull_Girdle Ness_220314b.jpg
    Scandi Herring Gull_Girdle Ness_220314b.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Toilet_Girdle Ness_220314a.jpg
    Toilet_Girdle Ness_220314a.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 73
  • St Fitticks Pool_220314a.jpg
    St Fitticks Pool_220314a.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 84
May just be a coincidence but these Items have managed to make an appearance,along with 30+ Caravans from the Travelling Community,just across the road from Nigg Bay.

A word of warning,please do not leave Camera/Binocular/Scope cases visible In the seats of empty cars In the area.Or any other things of value,come to think of It.

I had a slightly more concerted look around St Fittick's today. A couple of Goldcrests may well have been migrants. I heard the Pheasant. That was about it. Not too much else was around, although what appeared to be the same argentatus Herring Gull was again lurking off the Coo. Otherwise five Long-tailed Ducks and six Common Scoter on Nigg Bay.

It appears that someone has gone a bit too far in trying to secure a good car-based seawatching position.

Attachments

• Car Girdle Ness_240314a.jpg
    Car Girdle Ness_240314a.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 97
I had a goldcrest in the battery willows at lunchtime too - must have been a bit of a fall. Glad you got the pheasant too Andrew - should ease it's passage past the Torry Rarities committee...

Throated diver

Having trouble putting a colour on this diver, just off the breakwater in Greyhope last week, any help appreciated, thanks

Jim.

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 70
That's actually a winter plumage Guillemot Jim - they do look a bit diver-like but are noticeably smaller. There have been quite a few around the harbour recently.

Thanks Andrew, no wonder I couldn't get it !!, think it was the beak that was putting me off, I should have known really because I got a Guillemot later on but the beak was a lot more discernible, (that's my excuse anyway)|:S|

Jim

Attachments

• DSC_0022 028c.jpg
    DSC_0022 028c.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 85

Users who are viewing this thread

Back