• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified bird Mid Wales, UK (1 Viewer)

Griff19

Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone can help me identify a new call that we started hearing in November in the area around our garden in South Powys.

I've attached a faint mp3 recording. The call starts at 6 seconds and consists of one note followed by seven more that are two tones lower. Each note has a definite "wow" sound to it. We only hear the call when the crows in our tree are cawing - never on its own.

We live in a small town, close to a river and facing a large park. I've lived here nearly all my life and have never heard the like of it before.

I'm sure that it will be a disappointing crow or squirrel with a sore throat, but I am intrigued, and hope that someone can help.

Thanks

Attachments

• 16_11_2012 07_51.mp3
    127.2 KB · Views: 145
Hi all,

I'm hoping that someone can help me identify a new call that we started hearing in November in the area around our garden in South Powys.

I've attached a faint mp3 recording. The call starts at 6 seconds and consists of one note followed by seven more that are two tones lower. Each note has a definite "wow" sound to it. We only hear the call when the crows in our tree are cawing - never on its own.

We live in a small town, close to a river and facing a large park. I've lived here nearly all my life and have never heard the like of it before.

I'm sure that it will be a disappointing crow or squirrel with a sore throat, but I am intrigued, and hope that someone can help.

Thanks

All I get is a server error when I try to access the file. Sorry.
Chris

Ditto again.
Just from your description, how about a Squirrel's alarm call? It could be the Crows are calling in alarm and the Squirrel joins in - same threat?
Alternatively, immature Crows take a while to learn to caw properly and their attempts can make some very odd noises...

New (working) sound file

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I've converted the sound file to .wav format and it appears to work now. As I mentioned before, the call starts at 6 seconds.

For those that can't open the file, the call is one "wow" at D followed by six or seven "wow"s at b flat. I've heard it today in the morning and afternoon, but only when the crows are cawing.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 16_11_2012 07_51.wav
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
I'm getting Rooks and a Robin and a sort of whooshing sound, I'm on the iPad so sound not too great......I'd have to say though if you only ever hear it when the Rooks are calling its probably just a strange Rook call?

Sparrows ,chaffinch and the call that you are referring to the wow sound is rook

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back