• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American x Eurasian Wigeon? American Wigeon? (Drake: Kinmen Island, Taiwan) (1 Viewer)

SteveMM

The reddish tones to the rear eye stripe seem to scream hybrid for this bird!

Aside from this, though, the bird shows none of the traces of hybridisation typically shown by other hybrid drakes (or at least those that have occurred here), e.g. 'solid' (unstreaked) red areas on the face, grey in the flanks, etc. Additionally, structure looks absolutely spot on for American (big head, long tail), and black frame to the bill is reportedly rare in hybrids.

Is this head pattern acceptable variation within American Wigeon, something to do with iridescence, or a clear sign of hybridisation?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Attachments

• American Wigeon (01) - Copy.jpg
    American Wigeon (01) - Copy.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 139
American x Eurasian Wigeon hybrids are pretty variable (see http://birdhybrids.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/eurasian-wigeon-x-american-wigeon.html for a few examples) but most of those I can find seem to be closer to Eurasian than American in flank colour, whereas this one is closer to American... the head pattern does seem hybrid to me though. As wigeon hybrids are fertile, maybe this one could be a backcross (3/4 American, 1/4 Eurasian)?

Quite possibly. I would guess survival rates among hybrids are quite high so plenty of opportunity to dip their toes in the gene pool...

Rob

American x Eurasian Wigeon hybrids are pretty variable (see http://birdhybrids.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/eurasian-wigeon-x-american-wigeon.html for a few examples) but most of those I can find seem to be closer to Eurasian than American in flank colour, whereas this one is closer to American... the head pattern does seem hybrid to me though. As wigeon hybrids are fertile, maybe this one could be a backcross (3/4 American, 1/4 Eurasian)?

Thanks for the comments. Whatever this is, it is certainly much closer to American than Eurasian, especially so in terms of relative head 'bulk' and 'Pintail-like' rear end. Other than the head stripe, so is the remainder of the plumage (streaked face, dark chin, shape/extent of pale of forehead/crown, black bill surround, pink back, entirely pink flanks, etc). A case of almost, but not quite, it seems!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back