• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow ID New England (1 Viewer)

hbreder

Here are a couple of more sparrows that I need help identifying. I thought the first one is a savannah sparrow and the second one a song sparrow, although the beak looks too pink for a song sparrow, the white wing bar is too prominent and I don't see a central spot on the breast. But what is it?

Attachments

• Savannah_Sparrow.jpg
    Savannah_Sparrow.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Song_Sparrow_1.jpg
    Song_Sparrow_1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 71
Savannah Sparrow and Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

Also, Sharp-tailed Sparrows don't have a white/whitish central crown stripe, as bird #1 does.

Here is another picture of the same savannah sparrow. For a side-by-side comparison I am uploading both. According to Sibley's there is, among other regional variations, a "reddish typical adult" whose illustration fits this bird. I don't think it's the light or the camera.

Attachments

• Savannah_Sparrow_2.jpg
    Savannah_Sparrow_2.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 52
  • Savannah_Sparrow_1..jpg
    Savannah_Sparrow_1..jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 47
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back