Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Northern Thailand 28th March - 04th April 2020

Old Saturday 15th February 2020, 02:35   #1
btuliozi

Northern Thailand 28th March - 04th April 2020

Hi everyone!

My name is Beniamino Tuliozi, a birder from Italy. I am organizing a birding trip in Thailand lasting roughly three weeks, and part of this trip would be in the northern part.
As you all know from Chiang Mai some great destinations can be reached with a car (Doi Inthanon, Doi Ang Khang), but others are a bit more difficult (such as the eastern slope of Doi Lang), and in general I am a bit nervous about driving in Thailand, where I have never been. Moreover, I allocated only about a week to the north, from the 28th of March to the 4th of April, and it is a short time to see some great targets. Among them: Mrs Hume's Pheasant, Red-faced Liocichla, Giant Nuthatch, Hodgson's Frogmouth...

So I am considering going with a local guide and I contacted a few birding guides with more or less experience with keen birders. The price for one person tour however is a bit steep for me (11000 baht per day, roughly 330 euros per day), particularly as I am still a bit on the fence about going on my own!

I am considering various mixed options, such as going to Doi Inthanon on my own and then going with a guide at Doi Lang; however, in any case if someone would like to join me it would be a great occasion to do some fantastic birding and split the costs!

Let me know, and of course if you have any experience/advice about northern Thailand birding I would be glad to hear! Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards

Beniamino
Old Monday 17th February 2020, 19:38   #2
Steve Keen

Driving in Thailand isn't a problem if common sense is used (as anywhere)

I was certainly a hell of a lot more nervous in Rome and Naples than there!!

Steve
Old Wednesday 19th February 2020, 20:35   #3
Pitta Patter

We went a couple of years ago. We used a chap by the name of Uthai based in Chang Mai. I would be surprised if he was that expensive. Maybe worth enquiring. He was very good, a keen photographer and a good birder. Ian away at the moment but I can dig out more details when I get home.
Old Wednesday 19th February 2020, 21:39   #4
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitta Patter View Post
We went a couple of years ago. We used a chap by the name of Uthai based in Chang Mai. I would be surprised if he was that expensive. Maybe worth enquiring. He was very good, a keen photographer and a good birder. Ian away at the moment but I can dig out more details when I get home.
Hi Kevin,

Uthai (Treesucon), that was the name of the bloke who used to take people to look for Gurneys and he was in to photography too. He was always expensive, $150 for a half day and that was 20 years ago.
Old Thursday 20th February 2020, 23:33   #5
Pitta Patter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Hi Kevin,

Uthai (Treesucon), that was the name of the bloke who used to take people to look for Gurneys and he was in to photography too. He was always expensive, $150 for a half day and that was 20 years ago.
Hi Andy. I thought his name was Yothin. Was it not you who told me he died recently? I used him at KNC and yes he was expensive. We used a different guy, Uthai for Northern Thailand based in Chang Mai. He was very good and very reasonable. The chiggers have got me this time in Ecuador😭😂🤣
Old Friday 21st February 2020, 09:32   #6
andyadcock

Quote:
Hi Andy. I thought his name was Yothin. Was it not you who told me he died recently? I used him at KNC and yes he was expensive. We used a different guy, Uthai for Northern Thailand based in Chang Mai. He was very good and very reasonable. The chiggers have got me this time in Ecuador������
Yeah,
my old brain could be muddling them up however ....

'However, after four years of searching, on the June 14, 1986, the species was rediscovered by Philip D Round and Uthai Treesucon. They found a small population in the lowland forest near Ban Bang Tieo, Khao Nor Chuchi, Khlong Thom district, Krabi _ now Khao Pra-Bang Khram Wildlife Sanctuary.'

I know why I'm mixed up now, I met Uthai once at Frasers Hill in Malaysia so yes I was wrong but that's why I know the name.

Oh mate, chiggers, they got me in Trinidad, all arond my ankles and every time I got in a hot bath for the next three weeks, they went mad, argggggggg.

Last edited by andyadcock : Friday 21st February 2020 at 09:39.
Old Saturday 22nd February 2020, 23:13   #7
Pitta Patter

Andy-Lol it is not just around the ankles where they have got me
Old Sunday 23rd February 2020, 22:18   #8
Pitta Patter

Ben-Uthai's email address is [email protected]
Worth contacting him.
Old Monday 24th February 2020, 11:56   #9
andyadcock

Quote:
Andy-Lol it is not just around the ankles where they have got me
A mate of mine got done in Texas, all over his body, they usually get you around the waist or ankles I think?

Looking forward to a catch up when you get back mate.
Old Monday 24th February 2020, 12:37   #10
Pitta Patter

Hi Andy, yes back in just under a week. It has been a good trip. 72 new birds so far. 3 Antpittas, a few hummers and tanagers, rufous breasted antthrush, toucan and red headed barbets, plate billed mountain toucan, tanager finch and a foam party for the carnival. I maintain there is a lot to be said for volunteering at a bird lodge for a month. Catch up soon.
Old Sunday 1st March 2020, 07:46   #11
btuliozi

Thank you very much Andy, Kevin and Steve!

Sorry for not replying sooner, I did not get alerted of the notifications somehow! I did contact the guide you mentioned (Uthai Cheummarung, not Treesucon) and his prices were reasonable (150 euros per entire day). He also said that he can more or less guarantee all of my main targets, which for me is the main draw. He does have one bad review going rounds on the internet (http://kencrossindochina.blogspot.co...ide-uthai.html) - but his price are really competitive... Maybe he had a really bad day?

In any case I will take the car for some days, so it is a relief that it is not as bad as described! To be honest however I am not sure if Thailand or Qatar will also add to the countries that have banned flights from Italy, so the entire trip right now is a big "maybe".

Thank you very much for your help (and chiggers are the worst!)
Old Monday 2nd March 2020, 17:27   #12
Swiffly

Don't mean to hijack the thread but soap made from 100% beef tallow is God's own answer to chiggers, in my experience. Lather up and let it dry without rinsing. I don't even own any other kind of soap any more.
Old Friday 13th March 2020, 15:35   #13
Pitta Patter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiffly View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread but soap made from 100% beef tallow is God's own answer to chiggers, in my experience. Lather up and let it dry without rinsing. I don't even own any other kind of soap any more.

Thank you Swiffly, very useful information. You didn't hijack the thread, it was my fault for going off on a tangent.
Old Friday 13th March 2020, 15:45   #14
Pitta Patter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btuliozi View Post
Thank you very much Andy, Kevin and Steve!

Sorry for not replying sooner, I did not get alerted of the notifications somehow! I did contact the guide you mentioned (Uthai Cheummarung, not Treesucon) and his prices were reasonable (150 euros per entire day). He also said that he can more or less guarantee all of my main targets, which for me is the main draw. He does have one bad review going rounds on the internet (http://kencrossindochina.blogspot.co...ide-uthai.html) - but his price are really competitive... Maybe he had a really bad day?

In any case I will take the car for some days, so it is a relief that it is not as bad as described! To be honest however I am not sure if Thailand or Qatar will also add to the countries that have banned flights from Italy, so the entire trip right now is a big "maybe".

Thank you very much for your help (and chiggers are the worst!)
Ben - Hope your trip goes ahead, feel for you with Italy and Asia being banjaxed at the moment. Hopefully you will get to go at some point in the future if not soon.

He got us all 4 of your targets that you listed. Probably more of a photographer than a birder, but not to say he isn't a good birder and he knows the Chang Mai area very well. I would have no hesitation in recommending him.
Old Monday 23rd March 2020, 13:29   #15
albatross02

On Chiang Saen lake is a good accomodation
https://www.viangyonok.com/
You can visit birds even from balcony.

Fang Hotspring is worth to visit.
Western slope of Doi Lang is easy to reach.
Doi Luang Chiang Dao is worth to visit, eventhough high protected area is not allowed to visit. Maybe ask Malees.

check thailand birding of nick upton and north thailand birding homepage
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: