Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Corona virus threat to birding

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 22:09   #726
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
The
Rest
Of
Us
Have
To
Read all this too you know ...
Point taken (though you misattributed many of those quotations somehow). I've just deleted the bit of mine that seemed to invite further argument. Thanks.
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 22:50   #727
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
we have to

Read all this too you know ...

actually you don’t Dan, you could read a book or watch TV - i

Can’t believe how I got sucked in like that tho’ - note to self ignore,ignore ignore Ive actually tried to delete my previous posts but I can’t - I agree very boring for everyone else (for me too!)
http://www.osme.org

Last edited by Deb Burhinus : Thursday 26th March 2020 at 10:18.
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 23:03   #728
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Burhinus View Post
Ive actually tried to delete my previous posts but I can’t
The 'delete' button remains viable for about a day or so; after that, it dies. So somewhat less persistent than Coronavirus can be on surfaces
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 23:07   #729
Lisa W
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Some comments that followed were related to the possible advantage to birds, in the event that much of the aristocracy died out as they are the ones doing all the shooting which in turn, leads to persecution of raptors on large estates.

Why target my post, there are plenty on here that have nothing to do with birds?
I was not trying to target your post. I was reminding everyone not to post about people.

My birding photos
RV Travel Blog

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 23:09   #730
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
The 'delete' button remains viable for about a day or so; after that, it dies. So somewhat less persistent than Coronavirus can be on surfaces
Lol - Thanks Nutcracker - I didn’t think they were that old - how long have I been here - seems some arguments are more persistent than they deserve to be too
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 23:29   #731
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
Thanks.
Quote:
actually you don’t Dan, you could read a book or watch TV -
Soz, was going to double quote as well, but too much hassle

This can be more entertaining though ... although just been watching Mock the Week so perhaps not ...

Will edit, hopefully satisfactorily.
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 23:35   #732
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompleteWeirdo View Post

This can be more entertaining though ... although just been watching Mock the Week so perhaps not ...
I dunno, you may have something there Dan
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 23:47   #733
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis20126 View Post
Best isolation for vulnerable people would be ...ironically - on a cruise ship! Pre-tested staff, doctors and patients, keep them safe.
Was thinking holiday parks perhaps myself for some ... some nice static caravan parks on the coast that aren't going to get many visitors otherwise ... potentially good for birding too ...
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 10:08   #734
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefaction View Post
No, though I do pass Tannadice & Dens on the first leg of my walk in to work. The ones I stand a chance of seeing birds on (Oystercatchers, gulls and crows so far) are in a public park.
Thanks!
MJB
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 10:43   #735
Deb Burhinus

To bring the thread back to the topic of ‘the impact on birding’, there’s a (much more?) sensible discussion echoing the points I was trying to make in my recent posts regarding car use/birding/restrictions here; https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=387832

Simply put - at least in the UK, is that using a car to ‘exercise’, ‘walk’ the dog, or drive to a ‘lonely place’ to do some birding will be regarded as a ‘non-essential’ journeys - it doesn’t matter how much certain individuals ‘get angry’ and frustrated about the situation- it just is. The emergency powers recently introduced means police are already ‘enforcing’ these restrictions and people wiil be moved on, fined or even arrested for non-compliance.
(I know it’s tuff so but don’t shoot the messenger .)

Sky News
“11:51
North Yorkshire police are bringing in measures to stop people going outdoors

The force will be using checkpoints in the region to ask drivers if their journey is essential.

Assistant Chief Constable Mike Walker, said: "The new and significant restrictions announced by the Prime Minister on Monday evening spell out very clearly what each and every one of us must do to save lives. The message is clear and the warning stark. Stay at home, saves lives...

"You may never be in such a position again where your simple actions will lead directly to saving lives."

The force also said the checkpoints would be random and unannounced.”

On a more worrying note - if you typically do your patch birdwatching while exercising the dogs off the lead, a vet has a sombre warning - a bit hyperbolic but not without a bit of hard truth
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...plies-11963795

Last edited by Deb Burhinus : Thursday 26th March 2020 at 11:22.
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 11:17   #736
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

yes, i've noticed on my daily dog walk, an increase in dog walkers. Many give the impression they have never taken the dog out before, or might be doing a favour for elderly relatives who own dogs etc.

It comes down to the same thing, trying to reduce risk. I don't want to have to take the dog to the vets after a fight, or need hospital treatment for a dog bite right now. Give everyone and everything a wide berth. Great if you are an introvert!
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 11:30   #737
dantheman
Bah humbug

I thought that it has already killed a few dogs? cats? in S Korea who have contracted the virus?? If dogs can catch/spread it ...

If so then dogwalking definitely shouldn't be an activity people should be engaging in irresponsibly (unless it's just going to eliminate dog owners only from the population as a whole perhaps?)
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 11:48   #738
dantheman
Bah humbug

Add a smiley to my post above if so inclined.

Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 11:49   #739
kb57

Quote:
I thought that it has already killed a few dogs? cats? in S Korea who have contracted the virus?? If dogs can catch/spread it ...

If so then dogwalking definitely shouldn't be an activity people should be engaging in irresponsibly (unless it's just going to eliminate dog owners only from the population as a whole perhaps?)
Irresponsible dog owners and (without naming names of course ) raptor-shooting aristocrats checking themselves out of the gene pool. This is looking like a win-win situation for bird conservation.
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 14:28   #740
Keebs
If I fire off enough shots, maybe just one of 'em will be a photo!

Beggars belief.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-52047532

And more pixels here... http://paulkeeble.zenfolio.com
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 14:52   #741
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebs View Post
I think this is the same incident that Andrew posted a Twitter link to upthread (I hope so!)

If any of those birders are members/viewers of BF - consider this - you are publicly shamed - you know how the general public are vis a vis ‘birders’, we will all be tarred with the same brush - This makes us all look bad - I don’t want to have to defend my hobby/work to my ‘non-twitching’ and ‘non-birding’ friends/family/local media who already see ‘birdwatchers’ as an homogeneous group of people who all approach the hobby in the same way.

(and you look like idiots for twitching a Rouzel too)
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 14:53   #742
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

My word, they chose Ring Ouzel as their hill to die on!
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 14:59   #743
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebs View Post
This story has been posted on a couple of threads now, and yes totally unacceptable.

But it is rather odd - why on earth would that many people from around the country congregate on what is not even a rare bird? Real story (ie not fake news)? Someone watching a bird and passersby stopped too? A regular spot and the individuals concerned hadn't realised a) they weren't meant to be doing it b) it would be pointless as yearlisting was going to be off anyway? An organised group trip? Random or Organised photographers? Or a real story and proper birders/togs (all with a death wish) all congregating on one spot as their 'daily exercise' because they had nowhere else to go?

Last edited by dantheman : Thursday 26th March 2020 at 15:01.
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 15:06   #744
Deb Burhinus

Perhaps the Mods could combine this thread with the ‘remember thread’ its becoming difficult to follow these different poster inputs (I assume this is still the ‘impact on birding’?!)

It does seem really strange for the reasons pointed out above - maybe they were part of a group who knew each other and were already having a meet up in the area - either way ...
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 15:10   #745
opisska
Jan Ebr

It might be hard for people to take the absolute need for noone to meet anyone else in the outdoors so dead seriously while seeing pictures of crowded underground in London on the news.... In all the lockdowns around the world, people outdoors are being targeted way ahead of their actual rank in the hierarchy of risk for spread, because it doesn't cost almost any money to disperse them, as opposed to all of the is-it-really-that-essential industry that still keeps running and bringing people together. I know it makes some sense simply because those people are visible and going after them sends a message to everyone and reinforces the (correct) idea of getting away from each other, but I think the demonization of those few is overdone.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Birds: world 2168, WP 563, gWP 600 (#2 Czech WP and #1 gWP birder!*), bird photos
Mammals: 257, mammal photos
* and my wife is #3 and #4
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 15:17   #746
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Perhaps the Mods could combine this thread with the ‘remember thread’ its becoming difficult to follow these different poster inputs (I assume this is still the ‘impact on birding’?!)

It does seem really strange for the reasons pointed out above - maybe they were part of a group who knew each other and were already having a meet up in the area - either way ...
True. Think might be too much work on the poor overtaxed mods though.

It does kinda represent impact on birding as the reasoning that the selfish few can spoil it for the rest, impacts perception of birders, and an example of what not to be doing ... ?

Thread hop?
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 15:43   #747
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by opisska View Post

...I think the demonization of those few is overdone.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Totally see your point but if we had a ‘transport thread’, I suspect the targeted group will be those using the underground for non-essential travel. The difficulty is, although ‘birding’ and other outdoor activities, do come low down in the hierarchy, I really don’t see how, as a matter of effective governance, you could draw up such activity-specific restrictions - do you have none for outdoors or apply them to everyone?

Yes of course people will look to ‘police’ others from a position of resentment if they find others flouting those same restrictions that are curtailing their own activities.
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 16:03   #748
Farnboro John

Quote:
True. Think might be too much work on the poor overtaxed mods though.

It does kinda represent impact on birding as the reasoning that the selfish few can spoil it for the rest, impacts perception of birders, and an example of what not to be doing ... ?

Thread hop?
I wouldn't worry about perception of birders. After the park and Snowdon events of the weekend, no single group can claim not to be living in a glass house. In any case, nobody will remember anything at all beyond the resumption of professional football and soaps.

As for the thread hopping, I find it mentally refreshing, and its interesting to see who does it, contributing relevantly in different threads.

John
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 16:21   #749
Mysticete

I would imagine dumb Gen-z'ers here and elsewhere would be the groups that people are going to remember as flagrantly disregarding Covid news. Birders are relatively well behaved compared to some of the fratbros and such crowding beaches

Here in Wisconsin we also have a no essential travel, but exercise is listed as an excuse and all state and county parks are open and free of charge right now. So I would imagine driving to a place and walking around in this state is fine, but driving around and stopping to scan for ducks in flooded fields is probably not. Which of course is problematic, given that it's waterfowl migration, and there isn't much birding on actual trails right now comparatively speaking.
Mammal: 230 Herp: 174
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 17:05   #750
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
I wouldn't worry about perception of birders. After the park and Snowdon events of the weekend, no single group can claim not to be living in a glass house. In any case, nobody will remember anything at all beyond the resumption of professional football and soaps.
It is a fairly big argument going on in certain circles, and an easy target perhaps ... but yes.

If there's anyone left at the end of it all (we can hope )

Now I've got to work out which thread I last posted on about dogs and coronavirus ...
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: