• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I ordered the FZ18 (2 Viewers)

I have taken a test shot. I have only reduced the image size to 800 pixels for the forum. No photshop, comes as.
Settings:
Mode: P
WB: Auto
Metering Mode: Centre Weight
AF: 1-area focus H
Stabilizer: Mode 2
ConAF: ON
Multi Burst ON
Full Telephoto.

Attachments

• Bird forum test red kite.jpg
    Bird forum test red kite.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 366
Picture adjust settings:
Contrast -1
Sharpness +1
Saturation 0
Noise Reduction +1

Looks good Imace.
I will have a go at you settings this weekend, and also set custom 1 with my digiscope settings.
Be interesting what the results are.

Brian.

I was digiscoping years ago. I have settings for my nikon somewhere. I will post them and try them with the FZ18 and my old scope I think i still have the adapters. But you will need to keep the zoom to about x2 or 3 on the FZ18 for them to work i would think

Picture adjust settings:
Contrast -1
Sharpness +1
Saturation 0
Noise Reduction +1

Many people set noise reduction to -2. Noise reduction tends to blur fine details. (Quite a nice shot, and a nice bird, for a test shot.)

Jim

Hi Jim. Yes you are right and the sharpness to -2 as well. I am going to work from the =1 setting then compare it with the -2 setting. The reason is i wanted to see what effect CS2 Sharpen unmask had on the photo and weather with -2 you would need to do anything in Phptoshop. The pic you see has had nothing done to it.

In case anyone is not already aware, I have just been looking at the DPR Panasonic forum and someone mentioned some software called PhotoMe. It's basicaly a Metadata editor but in can give lots of extra data about a photo and the camera it was taken on. It's free and a copy can be downloaded at http://www.photome.de.

Hi Imace, Brian & Jim, great photo's from you all. There is another thread on this but I downloaded Picturecooler noise romoval last night and used on this Great Spotted Woodpecker photo after it had been heavily cropped, lighting adjusted due to very dark sky, and sharpened in Photoshop Elements. Impressive results and i would recommend anyone to give it a try. Here's the link http://denoiser.shorturl.com/ and hopefully before and after pic's.

Attachments

• P1000116-1acool (Small).jpg
    P1000116-1acool (Small).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 182
  • filtered_P1000116-1acool (Small).jpg
    filtered_P1000116-1acool (Small).jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 192
Hi Imace, sorry, forgot to say earlier that I haven't had time to do proper comparison with and without TCON 17 but can say that I am happy with it so far.

There is another thread on this but I downloaded Picturecooler noise romoval last night and used on this Great Spotted Woodpecker photo after it had been heavily cropped, lighting adjusted due to very dark sky, and sharpened in Photoshop Elements. Impressive results and i would recommend anyone to give it a try.

It has certianly made an improvement. Has anyone any experience of some of the other noise reduction software such as Noise Image or Noise Ninja with shots taken with the FZ18.

Last edited:
Evening Tom, I found something that might interest you and other TCON17 users. The picture that this EXIF came from looks like it was taken by a pro with a 2 grand camera and not a FZ18 with a TCON17 attached. I can't show the Picture until i get permission.

Camera: Panasonic DMC-FZ18
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/800)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 82.4 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0/100 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
X-Resolution: 72 dpi
Y-Resolution: 72 dpi
Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 Windows
Date and Time: 2008:02:18 15:08:36
YCbCr Positioning: Co-Sited
Exposure Program: Manual
Date and Time (Original): 2008:02:18 10:47:47
Date and Time (Digitized): 2008:02:18 10:47:47
Compressed Bits per Pixel: 4 bits
Maximum Lens Aperture: 30/10
Metering Mode: Spot
Color Space: sRGB
Sensing Method: One-chip colour area sensor
Exposure Mode: Manual
Digital Zoom Ratio: 0/10
Focal Length In 35mm Film: 501
Compression: JPEG
Image Width: 3264 pixels
Image Height: 2448 pixels

Imace,
Thanks for the image, very impressive. I notice he used spot metering.
When I suggested using my digiscope settings, my thinking was that our setup is basically a point and shoot with a 30x lens, not unlike digiscoping. Therefore Aperture mode, iso 200, spot metering etc, plus the in camera processing you are trying out.
Anyway, I will give it a go.

Thanks everyone for the download links.
I now have Photo Filtre, Photo Me and Picture Cooler. They all look good.
My problem is that I seem unable to detect small changes when adjusting contrast, colour, sharpness etc. It must be my eyesight because even HD TV looks the same to me!

Sorry Brian I misread your post. But yes i think your right the digiscoping settings should be about the same for a telephoto shot on the FZ18.

Thanks everyone for the download links.
I now have Photo Filtre, Photo Me and Picture Cooler. They all look good.
My problem is that I seem unable to detect small changes when adjusting contrast, colour, sharpness etc. It must be my eyesight because even HD TV looks the same to me!

You should be able to see such differences. For example, I can easily detect the difference made by one press of the sharpening icon in PhotoFiltre. To state the obvious, perhaps a trip to the optometrist for a new prescription might be in order.

Best,
Jim

You should be able to see such differences. For example, I can easily detect the difference made by one press of the sharpening icon in PhotoFiltre. To state the obvious, perhaps a trip to the optometrist for a new prescription might be in order.

Best,
Jim

You are probably right Jim, my eyesight has got worse as I've got older.
So, Specsavers here I come!

Brian.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back