• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ20 with tele-converter (1 Viewer)

Wow! 920mm. Will this work on an FZ3? That is what I have, and if so where is a good place to buy one. FZ3 has a 55mm lens, so I think it might work.

help

Not sure about FZ3 try here,
http://www.pemaraal.com

A Tcon-17 may do you but unless you have zoom on your camera I dont think it will work good luck.
D.J.

BenBirding said:
Wow! 920mm. Will this work on an FZ3? That is what I have, and if so where is a good place to buy one. FZ3 has a 55mm lens, so I think it might work.

Last edited:
Finally got out to try the FZ20 with my new TCon 17 at my local patch, Last weekend it was too dark and rainy. Today it was sunny but very windy.
I saw very few birds and none of them were staying in one place for very long so I left the tripod and cable release in the rucksack and tried photographing everything I saw, even those that were mere specks in the distance.
I think the results were promising under the circumstances. What do you think? The Goldfinch stayed in place just long enough for me to fire off one shot. The juvenile Whooper Swan kept submerging its head and was quite far off.
I used the settings someone recommended on another thread - aperture priority, spot focusing and metering, EVF, stabilizer set to mode 2 etc. I wanted to thank him but I can't find the post, so if you read this post - thanks!
Graham

Attachments

• P1020432.jpg
    P1020432.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 291
  • P1020432b.jpg
    P1020432b.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 358
  • P1020440.jpg
    P1020440.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 301
Does anyone know if the pemaraal converter for the Tcon-17 works on the Panasonic z30 as well as the z20 ?

Reason for asking is that I currently have an Olympus C-740 with Tcon-17 and was considering upgrading to the Panasonic Z30, obviously being able to use the same teleconverter would be a big saving for me.

Regards - Mike.

1.5 Panasonic teleconverter

suzigun said:
After some slightly disappointing shots at the weekend I'm considering adding a tele-converter to our FZ20. Can anyone point me in the direction of some examples of shots taken with this sort of set up to help with this decision?

Sue
I have been told by the local camera shop that the Panasonic 1.5 surpasses any teleconveter that one may adapt. However I have not seen any results.

They are expensive, but I know that in Canada if one shops around some deals can be had. Also I do not believe they are threaded to take a filter. Wonder
why ?

Further to my query above, I went and bought a Z30 and was delighted to find that the threads of the Olympus Tcon-17 are exactly the same as the Panasonic DMW-LT55 teleconverter, so I can now use this at the equivalent of a 714mm lens on a 35mm SLR.

Results so far have been excellent (however please note that here at Penrith, to the west of Sydney, NSW, we do not suffer from poor light conditions such as are found in North East England where I originally came from, so the noise problems in low-light conditions are much less of a consideration here).

Seasons greetings to you all,

Mike.

Im itrested to hear from the learned menbers of this list, on what i would need for the tcon17, i have looked at the link for Pemaraal and as im a novice could do with some advice please as i dont know all the measurements etc.
Is the PA55H just as the one you all use but with a lens hood?
Would you recommend this when not using the tcon?
Please forgive my ignorance but would filters just screw in to this and they would need to be a 55mm thread? As i would like to get a uv filter for general lens protection, and a polarizer.
Thank you.
James

James_Death said:
Im itrested to hear from the learned menbers of this list, on what i would need for the tcon17, i have looked at the link for Pemaraal and as im a novice could do with some advice please as i dont know all the measurements etc.
Is the PA55H just as the one you all use but with a lens hood?
Would you recommend this when not using the tcon?
Please forgive my ignorance but would filters just screw in to this and they would need to be a 55mm thread? As i would like to get a uv filter for general lens protection, and a polarizer.
Thank you.
James

Hi James,

I've just got exactly that set up, and it works great. I'm off out now to use it - first good light since I got it 10 days ago! - but so far, so good (there's a house sparrow on my gallery taken with it).

And yes, as I understand it, the 55mm filters just screw in - I'm looking for a couple myself.

Happy hunting,

DMW-LT55 vs. Tcon-17

mikesimpson said:
Further to my query above, I went and bought a Z30 and was delighted to find that the threads of the Olympus Tcon-17 are exactly the same as the Panasonic DMW-LT55 teleconverter, so I can now use this at the equivalent of a 714mm lens on a 35mm SLR.

Results so far have been excellent ...
Has anybody seen the DMW-LT55 yet? Panasonic US is saying mid-March. There is a US$100 price difference and I'm concerned about a quality difference. I'd appreciate any comments. TIA

Thanks for the links. The pages were very helpful. I'm leaning towards the Nikon 1.7, but the Raynox is intriguing. Has there been any recent testing with the Raynox 2.2?

Tcon 17c

I have just found this thread, I know I'm slow. I have a FZ30 and have just oreded the Tcon 17c from Amazon for $34.95 NEW. So for that price I had to give it a try.

KG111.

Having been messing about with garden feeder shots with my FZ20 these last couple of days I`m beginning to wonder whether a teleconverter is necessary in some circumstances.I`ve attached below 3 shots I`ve taken today of the local spugs. The 3 shots were taken with varying amounts of digital zoom with the camera tripod mounted shooting through the open kitchen window, feeders are maybe 10ft or so away.ISO 80, F3.7 and shutter speed of around 1/60th for all 3 shots.....
The first pic was taken at 20x zoom (12x optical, 8x digital) and I was surprised how clear it turned out - not absolutely perfect but equal of not better quality than a shot taken with my Tcon-17 added in the same light levels.So I messed about a bit more with the digital zoom...
The 2nd and 3rd pics are taken at 30x zoom, quite far into the digital zoom range, with , to me, acceptable results also(most of my shots are crap anyway :eek!: ) .
The pics have been very slightly cropped and sharpened a small amount on Photoshop CS and finally run through Neat Image using the FZ20 profile.
Obviously, handheld shots aren`t going to be anywhere near the clarity of these but for shots where the camera is supported (tripod etc) I think i`ll be using the digital zoom a lot more.
When using the Tcon-17 , because of minimum focus distances I havent found it possible to get small subjects full frame, so often a fair amount of cropping has been required.With the digital zoom full frame shots of small birds etc are possible requiring very little or no cropping which can`t be a bad thing.
Something else which has become apparent while messing about with these shots has been the better final image quality (post processing) after setting the camera`s sharpness setting to high.The difference to my eyes seems quite substantial.
Anyway, hope this is of some interest/help to FZ20 users.....

Mark

Attachments

• P1030023processed_filtered_small.jpg
    P1030023processed_filtered_small.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 146
  • P1030027processed_filtered_small.jpg
    P1030027processed_filtered_small.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 157
  • P1030029processed_filtered_small.jpg
    P1030029processed_filtered_small.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 115
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back