Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Headphones

Old Wednesday 18th September 2019, 15:43   #1
Hermann

Headphones

I do some voice recording from time to time, using my smartphone, usually in combination with a MicW IShotgun microphone. The app I'm using is Hartmut Pfitzinger's "Field Recorder", a great app once you begin to understand how it works. Took me a while though, and there's still much I need to learn. For processing I use Audacity. Or at least I'm trying to ...

So far I've been using in-ears to monitor the recording in the field. That worked OK for a while, however, I feel I need something better. One of the problems with in-ears is that they don't cut out the sound from the "outside" completely, and that makes things difficult at times.

So I'm looking for over-ear headphones that are reasonably light and small AND fairly neutral. I tried a few in town, and they were so heavy on the bass it just wasn't funny.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hermann

BTW: Is there a dedicated forum on bird or mammal recording anywhere? I couldn't find one.
Old Wednesday 18th September 2019, 16:38   #2
jring

Hi,

as for in-ears you might want to try some from Etymotic... they will remove external sound very well (they're actually sold without speakers as earplugs) and are quite neutral...

Joachim
Old Thursday 19th September 2019, 01:13   #3
mskb

I was just talking to Marc on the same subject. Studio/DJ monitoring closed-back headphones like the Sony MDR 7056, and related competition from Sennheiser, Audio Technica and Breyer Dynamic appear to be designed to reproduce the recoded sounds very accurately, while “filtering out” the background. I am reading more about them.

Suprisingly, unlike the insane $$$ rates on photography and digiscoping accessories, these seem to be around $100 or can be had for far less.

Last edited by mskb : Thursday 19th September 2019 at 01:30.
Old Thursday 19th September 2019, 16:31   #4
iveljay

Sony MDR 7506 and many of the older (and since they are still around- good) studio headphones have very long fixed cables, for the simple reason that you need to move around when working. These are far too long for much mobile field work.

More modern closed back phones like the popular Audio-Technica ATH-M50X have removable cables and usually have a short cable supplied as an option from new. Again they are around 100 in the UK.
Like many folks who spend time wearing these for various purposes, I have a variety of headphones including these and 7506s (headphones are like binoculars - they breed in the dark of my equipment store).

Personally for field trips in exposed locations I use an even cheaper set of over ear Sonys - because they have the shorter cable length, they do the job and I wont be too upset if a cow stands on them. (Actually I might be because they were discontinued years ago - but you get the point?)

As two users of headphones rarely agree on anything when it comes to recommending them, I will merely say that I agree with the over ear approach, stress the need for getting a sensible cable length, (short for hand- helds - longer if need it for other approaches) and for lurking outdoors wearing them for extended periods make sure they are comfortable. Read reviews.

Your price suggested is a sensible top end for most outside work.

Finally remember that if you shut off all external sounds you won't hear anyone warning you that you are about to fall off a cliff!
Old Friday 20th September 2019, 17:32   #5
Hermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveljay View Post
Personally for field trips in exposed locations I use an even cheaper set of over ear Sonys - because they have the shorter cable length, they do the job and I wont be too upset if a cow stands on them.
Good points. So there are three criteria headphones for field trips have to meet: cheapish, short cable and cow-proof ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iveljay View Post
As two users of headphones rarely agree on anything when it comes to recommending them, I will merely say that I agree with the over ear approach, stress the need for getting a sensible cable length, (short for hand- helds - longer if need it for other approaches) and for lurking outdoors wearing them for extended periods make sure they are comfortable. Read reviews.
Thanks again. These are valuable hints, especially the point about headphones having to be comfortable for extended use. That'll limit me to a few models, I'm afraid, my head is a somewhat bigger than average. Actually, I switched to in-ears for listening to music years ago because I couldn't find comfortable headphones at an acceptable price that were large enough, not too heavy on bass and not looking like they came straight from the Star Wars movies.

Hermann

Last edited by Hermann : Friday 20th September 2019 at 19:39.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: