• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newts in an unsuitable pond? (1 Viewer)

Carless

Near me there is a city park, which is evenly split between wild/overgrown areas and mown grass.

In the middle of one patch of wildness there is a bit of muddy ground/pond/puddle, call it what you will. There is a bit of water there, but it's mainly overgrown.

Yesterday we noticed that there were quite a few newts in it. Four in a small open patch of water, and judging by movement, quite a few other ones in the rest of it. I don't know if they were smooth or palmate newts as all the newts I saw seemed to be female.

I'm curious as to why this might be. I don't think it's a suitable place for them to breed as the water dries out for most of the summer. It's only a couple of inches deep at the moment and the "pond" is mainly just sodden ground, but with some patches of water. Don't newt tadpoles take over a year to mature? Wouldn't they die when it dries out?

If that's correct, then why are there so many newts in there?

Do you know the park well? Could it be that another pond nearby has been filled in and this is the nearest alternative?
Or maybe it used to be deeper but has silted up or got overgrown recently.

Do you know the park well? Could it be that another pond nearby has been filled in and this is the nearest alternative?
Or maybe it used to be deeper but has silted up or got overgrown recently.

I don't know of any ponds nearby. There is a sort of stream, which runs most of the time, but I have seen it partially dried up. Water still running high up near the damp bit in question, but none further down. Not sure how that works, must be water soaking into the ground.

The damp place in question definitely looks like it might have been a deeper pond that silted up. It's pretty well gone now. But I was speaking to someone from the council who is interested in working on that park, and I did mention the pond.

However, since it's a place I walk frequently, I looked in on Saturday evening. There was a small boy catching newts. I never really know what to do in situations like that, as they're probably all doomed. Though, he said that he'd caught two but they'd escaped.

Don't newt tadpoles take over a year to mature? Wouldn't they die when it dries out?

If that's correct, then why are there so many newts in there?

Hi Carless

All newts, including the current years tadpoles, leave their pond in the autumn and crawl away to spend the winter in a sort of hibernation state under stones or logs so some such place. Tadpoles have gills and obtain their oxygen from the water through these. They gradually loose the gills over the summer months and become air breathing. In the early spring they all return to water to breed again.

I've been told directly by someone senior in the council that he wants to work on the park involved, and I mentioned the pond. I'm supposed to register with a council supported organisation and will, I'm told, be informed when volunteer work is done.

Hi Carless

All newts, including the current years tadpoles, leave their pond in the autumn and crawl away to spend the winter in a sort of hibernation state under stones or logs so some such place. Tadpoles have gills and obtain their oxygen from the water through these. They gradually loose the gills over the summer months and become air breathing. In the early spring they all return to water to breed again.
Ah - generally true; however in some cases the efts continue their aquatic stage through their first winter (remaining in the pond throughout) and don't 'mature' until the following summer. In this case, though - ie. pond dries up - any late developer will be in big trouble!
Get to work on that pond, Carless - it looks worth the effort!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back