• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2015 (1 Viewer)

Think I might have to keep a mammal list this year. On 5 so far, so don't think I'm ever going to be a contender really ;) , but interesting reading/seeing how others with a little more commitment are doing.

Good stuff.

Don't go expecting any help or advice from anyone on here though. It's all about bragging.

Don't go expecting any help or advice from anyone on here though. It's all about bragging.

Perhaps a bit cynical. Some information here, especially when combined with the General Wildlife / Mammals section on Birdforum has certainly been useful.

For example the Water Shrew(s) were almost a 'walk up job' last Sunday at the Lodge, Beds. and alerted to this by a regular on here. One of my mates got this as a UK mammal tick. How good is that? Phil

Apologies in advance for posting this, and definitely not 'tickable', but they get a mention in The History of British Mammals by Derek Yalden, and were in a David Attenborough documentary a few years ago, so I felt compelled to do a bit of a detour during a recent work trip. Also had Roe Deer, Woodcock, and Raven and Dipper nearby.

The park is currently closed but you can park just east of Hepburn, and walk through a gate in the wall nearby to view the Chillingham Cattle.

Attachments

• Cowsemail.JPG
    Cowsemail.JPG
    401.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Always seemed a very helpful thread to me - in this and previous years' editions, I remember quite a few posts explaining how to see otters at one location, what the best tides are at another for certain species, or assisting to identify tracks, explain how to get somewhere, etc.

Also much simply congratulations to others and welcomes for new persons ...all of all richly interspersed by nice doses of mammals seen by all (the 'bragging').

This and the previous years' threads have always been about two things:

1. sharing information, which unlike bird information is scarce, unadvertised by the authorities - witness the year that RSPB Saltholme had Weasels breed in their reserve centre and never thought to put it on their website - and eratic even for rarities.)

2. Celebrating mammals - principally British, because that's where most of us are based, but increasingly with contributions from elsewhere e.g. crazyfingers over in the USA.

If you see it as bragging, well, bad luck. When I read that Mark or Jos or anyone else has had a coup, I think great for them - and then usually, how do I manage the same thing? I also probably ask them for help. Of course, a lot of that action occurs via PM or phone, so doesn't appear on here till later.

Anyway, if you want to see mammals and have a question, we will try to answer it: if you want to join in, feel free: if your post is typical then you may feel more at home in Rarities on the Audouin's Gull or Night Parrot threads.

All the best,

John

Easy this is not a birding thread, we are all helpful here, most of us do post what we see and some may see that as bragging but a lot of hard work and effort goes in to find some of these species and the information is usually shared with anyone who asks. - That does not happen in the bird threads!

I have helped many people see water shrew, field vole and harvest mouse, including hosting total strangers at my house to see them.

As John mentions above lots is done by PM for certain species (wild boar, dormice etc.) but most of the information is freely available on this thread and associated threads.

If you want to see mammals join in this thread and forget how the bird threads carry on, and you never know we may just put you onto something you have always wanted to see.

Mark

Anyway after all that stuff plenty of bragging from the last week or so. On Wednesday a quick visit to Arne for the Sika, the stags were well out on the marsh, the hinds in the fields and woods. Then to Blandford for the otters which according to the locals have not been seen for 11 days or so.
Friday, after the eclipse I stopped in at Woodwalton fen, early afternoon not ideal for CWD there but I caught up with one.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_6210.jpg
    DSC_6210.jpg
    835.7 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_5727.JPG
    DSC_5727.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC00115.JPG
    DSC00115.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 61
Two things to talk about.

I was keen to get on home, so I quickly shoved all my kit in the boot, discarded my fleece into the same place, slammed the lid and remembered too late that my key fob was in the fleece.

John

I hadn't realised that your trials continued! On the plus side, you made the right decision leaving. I still had a stoatly ermine free day. Although I did see two cranes.

Completely forgot to mention that apparently American Mink has been seen a few times at Woodwalton Fen, near the bungalow recently. I did not see it but it was reported to me.

Mark

Johns Mammals

Easy this is not a birding thread, we are all helpful here, most of us do post what we see and some may see that as bragging but a lot of hard work and effort goes in to find some of these species and the information is usually shared with anyone who asks. - That does not happen in the bird threads!

I have helped many people see water shrew, field vole and harvest mouse, including hosting total strangers at my house to see them.

As John mentions above lots is done by PM for certain species (wild boar, dormice etc.) but most of the information is freely available on this thread and associated threads.

If you want to see mammals join in this thread and forget how the bird threads carry on, and you never know we may just put you onto something you have always wanted to see.

Mark

Fully endorse this summary and I for one greatly appreciate the patience, help and advice given by Mark, F John and MikeR in respect of mammals to both myself and my son. I regularly refer to the mammal guide produced by Mark on this thread and now take a far greater interest with mammals---ok nothing special and my year patch list is 7 species but it gives me great pleasure even seeing the almost daily Red Fox who now seems more curious than afraid as I sit most nights monitoring the behaviour of Barn Owls at a natural tree hole site.(my 'watching' postion is adjacent to a badger sett but no sightings this year,as yet, just sneezing and snorting)
Just keep the thread going in exactly the same way as I am sure many enjoy the 'adventures' and sightings (apart from Jos's, but I'm not jealous just green-eyed);)

Fully endorse this summary and I for one greatly appreciate the patience, help and advice given by Mark, F John and MikeR in respect of mammals to both myself and my son. I regularly refer to the mammal guide produced by Mark on this thread and now take a far greater interest with mammals---ok nothing special and my year patch list is 7 species but it gives me great pleasure even seeing the almost daily Red Fox who now seems more curious than afraid as I sit most nights monitoring the behaviour of Barn Owls at a natural tree hole site.(my 'watching' postion is adjacent to a badger sett but no sightings this year,as yet, just sneezing and snorting)
Just keep the thread going in exactly the same way as I am sure many enjoy the 'adventures' and sightings (apart from Jos's, but I'm not jealous just green-eyed);)

What everybody else said. This is an outstanding thread, with input from friendly, helpful folk - one of the best things about Birdforum.

On Monday 23rd I was picked up by Mark Hows & we headed down to the Forest of Dean for what turned out to be one of the best days there. Started of first thing with 5+ Hawfinches feeding on the ground c15ft away from the car. We then went of looking for Wild Boar & were rewarded with an amazing encounter with 9 piglets. They were so close I had to use a 100mm lens. Thanks to Mark for driving & as usual to Ben for his help during the day!

Cheers, Simon

Looking for Slow-worms at Hankley yesterday I found a Pygmy Shrew, but it was unfortunately too quick for my camera - or rather I froze and looked at it (good view) while it unfroze, ran in a circle then disappeared into the heather.

Later on Bank Voles were giving glimpses near the Adder bank by Farnborough Airport, a risky lifestyle if you ask me!

John

On Monday 23rd I was picked up by Mark Hows & we headed down to the Forest of Dean for what turned out to be one of the best days there. Started of first thing with 5+ Hawfinches feeding on the ground c15ft away from the car. We then went of looking for Wild Boar & were rewarded with an amazing encounter with 9 piglets. They were so close I had to use a 100mm lens. Thanks to Mark for driving & as usual to Ben for his help during the day!

Cheers, Simon

Post pics, Simon!!

Cheers, Simon

Thanks Simon. It was a cracking day.

Attachments

• Wild Boar.jpg
    Wild Boar.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 77
Sorry its been a tough week!

Many Thanks to Ben as always, a great day out, and to Simon for his company. The weather just about held for our day out in the Forest which we focussed on Hawfinch, boar and dipper no luck with the latter but the excellent views of the first two more than made up for it.

Mark

Attachments

• hf9.jpg
    hf9.jpg
    886.5 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_6680.JPG
    DSC_6680.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_6724.JPG
    DSC_6724.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_6568.JPG
    DSC_6568.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_6806.JPG
    DSC_6806.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 60
I was pleased to see two Irish Hares at Wexford Wildfowl Reserve during my lunch break on Tuesday - haven't seen them there for a few of years (although my visits are very brief). They are still present at Dublin Airport as well - seen from the taxing plane window. Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back