• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings from Oregon! (1 Viewer)

HouseFinch

Self-proclaimed Birdbrain
Hallo all, I'm HouseFinch, posting from the northwestern tip of Oregon, out in the country east of Astoria. I've joined many forums in the past, and have been looking for a good birding forum: I'd say I've found it. :)

I'm known as the birdbrain of the family, being that I spend a lot of time dealing with birds: I own a parakeet, two zebra finches, two peafowl, and I have various types of birdfeeders hanging throughout the year, not to mention my growing list of memorized bird calls and songs. :D

Anyway, I hope to get to know at least a few of you: I notice that there are thousands of members! :eek!: LOL!

By the way, my avatar is of a juvenile seagull I photographed awhile back. ;)

Last edited:
Hi HouseFinch,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Look forward to hearing about the wild birds where you live :t:

Wow, Housefinch, I'm impressed. 53 bird calls memorized. :clap:
You are a birdbrain! ;)

How do you record your birds? Any special equipment or just an ordinary tape recorder?

macthebull said:
Wow, Housefinch, I'm impressed. 53 bird calls memorized. :clap:
You are a birdbrain! ;)

How do you record your birds? Any special equipment or just an ordinary tape recorder?

Thank you! Few things are more exciting for me than hearing the call of a bird I've never heard before: this happened yesterday morning, when I heard a bird call far out over the marsh by the river, and I recognized it as a Sora.

For a couple years, I walked about outside with a Panasonic SlimLine tape recorder: very ordinary. I eventually bought a $10 handheld microphone for it, to improve the sound quality. However, I was annoyed by the constant hiss in my recordings, so one day I attached the mic to my laptop computer, and opened Windows Sound Recorder. I set the quality to it's highest setting, and was amazed at the difference. There is still a buzz in the recordings, but it's much better than ordinary tapes. What's more, the sounds are completely digital, so I'll be able to make audio CDs with them.

Now I commonly sit the microphone next to the window screen in my bedroom, and record the birds at my feeders. What's fun is that I can watch the birds while I'm recording! :) Currently my goal is to get some nice American Goldfinch sounds, as they've been swarming my thistle feeder lately.

Hello HouseFinch, I've been to the US once and stayed in Portland for 5 days. I love Oregon! It's a nice birding place.

Cool i know some birds calls like the difference between bohemian and cedar waxwings.... yellow warblers and house and song and chipping and swamp and claycolored sparrows and american goldfinches and evening grosbeaks and ... ive also heard some wierd new sounds like a very veery long call that ended with a very very fast chichichichiand then a high pitch do... i couldnt id it cause it was far in the bush....

I love listening and watching birds... but when i cant find them i get kinda upset with myself lol cause i heard something and i dont know what it is!

you sound like an interesting man!

Welcome to BF HouseFinch!

And the AMGOs have also been really going after my thistle feeders too!

photo_luver said:
you sound like an interesting man!

Welcome to BF HouseFinch!

And the AMGOs have also been really going after my thistle feeders too!

That would be 'woman', actually, if you were referring to me, that is. But that's no biggie.

Thanks for the welcomes, everybody, I can already tell that I'm going to love it here! :bounce:

'Thanks for the audio recording tips HouseFinch. See, nature and technology don't have to be at odds'

That's true: I've learned a wealth of information about birds from the internet. In fact that's how I originally learned all those bird sounds in the first place. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back