• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

April visit to Lock Garten area - where to go and what to see? (1 Viewer)

Yashca

I may be going to the Loch Garten area in the next couple of weeks for a couple of days. Just wondering what species to look out for in that rough area and where to look for them.

So far target species are: Osprey, Crested Tit, Capercaillie & Scottish Crossbill at Loch Garten - as well as Red Squirrel.

I'd also like to see Golden Eagle, Raven, and possibly Ptarmigan (Red Grouse & Black Grouse?)

Just wondered if anyone could recommend places in the rough Loch Garten area for some of these species, as well as times of day and techniques (all these birds are new to me!)

Also, are there any other birds I've missed off my target list? I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. (White Tailed Sea Eagle is the other side of Scotland isn't it?)

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

I may be going to the Loch Garten area in the next couple of weeks for a couple of days. Just wondering what species to look out for in that rough area and where to look for them.

So far target species are: Osprey, Crested Tit, Capercaillie & Scottish Crossbill at Loch Garten - as well as Red Squirrel.

I'd also like to see Golden Eagle, Raven, and possibly Ptarmigan (Red Grouse & Black Grouse?)

Just wondered if anyone could recommend places in the rough Loch Garten area for some of these species, as well as times of day and techniques (all these birds are new to me!)

Also, are there any other birds I've missed off my target list? I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. (White Tailed Sea Eagle is the other side of Scotland isn't it?)

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Hi, not sure how long you have but have you considered the services of someone like Birding Ecosse? http://birdingecosse.com/default.aspx ot Heatherlea, Speyside Wildlife etc...

Findhorn Valley is your best bet for Golden Eagle and Raven, afternoons seem best
Ptarmigan is best on the Cairngorms, though would require a good walk for close views
Red Grouse is best on the route around Lochindorb, though they can slo be seen on Cairngorm
Black Grouse - the screens at Tulloch Moor or read this article I wrote (http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=2598)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back