• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Now I think I have seen it all... Radio binoculars, anyone? (1 Viewer)

It's actually a secret listening device :)

I have a Minox 10x24? binocular with an altimeter.
This is incredibly accurate.
I get different heights on a table and then lifting it 2ft.
The problem is it is impossible to set it up, as 1 hPa is 28ft.
Also the button cell is difficult to access. A stupid design fault.

Regards,
B.

An altimeter I can see might be (kind of) useful with a pair of binoculars. I have a couple of altimeter watches - very handy for walking in the hills and mountains. Also useful to be able to record the atmospheric pressure and weather with observations (astronomical or ornithological).

Perhaps there are birders out there who are just too addicted to The Archers...

Useful for watching cricket, see what is happening at the crease while listening to Test Match Special.

Hello All,

For future reference I’ve attached an image of the Fujinon 7x24 binocular-radio referred to in the original post . . . along with a stone age version

The radio is in the bottom of the carry case, and you listened through the simple single ear piece (in the image, in front of the binocular)!

The image is from a 1973 Bushnell catalogue, per Mark Ohno’s great site Miniature Binoculars: http://www.miniaturebinoculars.com/part1/Page2725.htm
The site has by far the most comprehensive set of old catalogues that I'm aware of, see the 6 page list at the bottom of the right hand panel
- it provides both a great resource and a great distraction

Also Gijs van Ginkel’s Power Point presentation ‘Multi-functional binoculars and telescopes in the past four centuries: a global overview’,
includes various binocular/ radio combinations - see the table of contents
The 111 slide, 19 mb presentation can be found at: https://www.houseofoutdoor.com/verrekijkers/verrekijkers-testen-en-vergelijken/

John

Attachments

• Fujinon Bino Radio.jpg
    Fujinon Bino Radio.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 1973 Bushnell.jpg
    1973 Bushnell.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Gijs' Presentation.jpg
    Gijs' Presentation.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back