• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meostar 10x42 HD (1 Viewer)

astronut111

Hi,

New to the forum. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me if the Meostar 10x42 HD will work with eye glasses?
Wondering if the 15mm eye relief will be enough.

Kinda depends on how far away your glasses sit from your eyes. All I can tell you is that when I am wearing sunglasses, 15mm of ER is not enough, nor is it enough for my glasses-wearing wife........

Astronut,

Welcome! to Birdforum. When considering eye relief, there's also the issue of useable eye relief vs. the manufacturer's listed eye relief, which can vary a bit or considerably, depending on the brand and model.

Some optics companies measure eye relief from the top EP lens to the point where the image focuses. That measurement doesn't take into consideration the 2-3mm recession of the EP lens below the top of the EP housing (to give enough clearance for curved eyeglass lenses) and the 2-3mm taken up by the twist-up eyecups sitting on top of the EP housing. So you could use up to 4-6mm useable eye relief between the lens recession and eyecup thickness.

As Phil commented, you have to minus the distance your glasses sit back from your eyes, you also the thickness of your glasses. Polycarbonate glasses are thinner than glass and some people's prescriptions are thicker than others. When you add in those factors, 15mm is cutting it pretty close, but some eyeglass wearers do get by with that much.

The only way to know if the listed 15mm ER on the Meopta 10x42 HD is going to work for your glasses/face is to try the bin yourself.

There's a Cabela's in MA in East Hartford, and they're opening a new store in Berlin, MA next year. You could also check out Cabela's 10x42 Euro HD, which is the same bin as Meopta's, but $100 cheaper.

Brock

I would say that the eye relief of the 10x42 Meostar will almost certainly be inadequate for glasses wearers.
The size of the eye lens is a fairly good indication of eye relief; see this thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=243816&highlight=relationship+eye+relief.
It is just not possible to have a large AFoV and spectacle-friendly eye relief with small ocular lenses.

The 7x42 Meostar (my wife has one) with its 23 mm eye lenses and moderate AFoV has very generous eye relief but the eye lenses on 8x42 and 10x42 get progressively smaller with increasing AFoV. Even the 10x32 Meostar has better eye relief than the 10x42.

I have a Swarovski 10x42 EL SV, which is excellent in this respect (20 mm specified but effectively 17 mm due to the raised eyecup rims), but I know of no other 10x42 as good as or better than the Meostar HD with really good eye relief, except perhaps the Nikon EDG.

In general the lower magnifications within a binocular range have longer focal length eyepieces with longer eye relief, so it might be better to shift your attention to an 8x42, which could be considered the universal birding binocular. The Kowa Genesis 8,5x44 is in a similar price category to the Meostar HD, has excellent control of CA and would be worth a look.

John

ER is quite a tricky index since different brands(models?) have their own way of presentation/measuring.
e.g. the CL8x25 said to be having 15mm ER, but I have to twist up a bit (2mm) to avoid blackout while using glasses which is small frame and I am flat-faced.

Some users also mentioned that the Ultravid 8x32 HD is good for spectacles wearers though the stated ER is only 13.3mm. The best way, like other members said, is to try them yourself.

I had no problem using the Meostar 10x50 HD with glasses, but 14-15mm seems about ideal for me. It's going to vary a lot between individuals and some clearly need over 20mm. Something you need to try for yourself.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back