• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus OM-D EM-1 (1 Viewer)

Slate mode is a video sound organisation/synchronisation feature, most of the video sound stuff only works with the LS-100 sound recorder. Not sure what they have implemented, but as I don't have an LS-100 I am not too worried.

A more detailed list - not sure where I got it from:

New functions, 7 items

Focus bracketing is now possible.
* Can be set in Shooting menu 2 > Bracketing [On] > Focus BKT.

Focus stacking is now possible.
* Only possible when a supported lens is attached.
* Can be set in Shooting menu 2 > Bracketing [On] > Focus BKT [On] > Focus stacking.

Silent shooting is now possible.
* Electronic shutter is used for shooting both first and second curtain.
* Can be set in Shooting menu 2 > Anti-Shock/Silent > silent shooting.

Simulated Optical Viewfinder was added.
* Setting is possible when the mode dial is P/A/S/M.
* Shooting settings are not reflected in the EVF display.
* Can be set in Custom Menu [J] > S-OVF.

4K was added to Time Lapse Movie for Time lapse shooting.
* Can be set in Shooting menu 1 > Sequential shooting/self-timer/Time lapse shooting > Time lapse shooting [On] > Time Lapse Movie.
Supports synchronization of start and stop of movie sound recording when using linear PCM recorder LS-100.
* Supports Olympus's linear PCM recorder LS-100.
* Can be set in Custom Menu > PCM Recorder Link > Synchronized Rec.

Slate Tone generation function was added.
* Supports Olympus's linear PCM recorder LS-100.
* Can be set in Custom Menu > PCM Recorder Link > Slate Tone.

Major improvements to operability, 17 items

Anti-shock shooting was moved to Shooting menu 2.

Keystone compensation was moved to Shooting menu 2.

Sequential shooting/self-timer setting menu integrated with Time lapse shooting setting menu and moved to Shooting menu 1.

M-IS2 was added to movie setting for Image Stabilizer.

Image Stabilizer was moved to Custom Menu [C].

Image quality mode for movies were changed.

Frame rates 24p (23.98p)/25p were added.

Movie setting function was added.

PCM Recorder Link

Time Code Settings

Info Settings

Shutter Function
* Setting can be done in Custom Menu .

MF clutch/Snapshot Focus can be disabled.
* Please also update supported lenses to the latest firmware.
* Can be set in Custom Menu [A] > MF clutch.

Sequential shooting setting was added to silent shooting.
* Can be set in Custom Menu [C].

Info display settings are changed, and custom display settings are possible.
* Can be set in Custom Menu [D].
* EVF can be changed in Custom Menu [J] > Info Settings.

Expand LV Dyn.Range was changed to S-OVF.

It is possible to change the color and strength of the Peaking Settings.
* Can be set in Custom Menu [D] > Peaking Settings.

It is possible to do setting Menu Recall.
* Can be selected for Menu Recall in Custom Menu [D].

If digital shift is done by button functions, it is possible to cancel by pressing and holding the button.

S-OVF was added to button functions.

S-OVF was added to Multi Function.

Supports shooting movies with release cable (RM-UC1).

Supports Windows 10.

Supports OI.Share Ver.2.6.

Live composite shooting with O.I.Share is now possible.

Supports OLYMPUS Capture Ver.1.1.

Last edited:
Slate mode is a video sound organisation/synchronisation feature, most of the video sound stuff only works with the LS-100 sound recorder. Not sure what they have implemented, but as I don't have an LS-100 I am not too worried.

Cheers for that - nothing to bother about for me, then.

That is a very impressive list of updates for a camera which is over two years old. All credit to Olympus for providing it free and looking after their customers.

I like the fact that it is now possible to display 'level' and 'histogram' in the EVF at the same time, although only when Style 1 or 2 selected. That threw me at first as I previously used Style 3.

Ron

Last edited:
'Silent mode' seems good though it's not quite completely silent as there's just a very small 'click' sound which might not be audible out in the field. I'll give it a good run-out to see what the limitations of electronic shutters are in real world situations with fast-moving subjects, etc.

Will be interested to hear what you discover. What I have read on another forum is that using the silent shutter limits you to 3200 ISO, adversely affects image quality, and is not good for moving subjects. So does not sound promising for bird photography.

Will be interested to hear what you discover. What I have read on another forum is that using the silent shutter limits you to 3200 ISO, adversely affects image quality, and is not good for moving subjects. So does not sound promising for bird photography.

Yes, the camera limits you to ISO3200. Shutter speeds up to 1/16000th are available, so it'll be interesting to see what differences are seen with each shutter speed (not much chance of 1/16000th here at the moment with the weather as grim as it is currently!)

I have used it on the past on cameras from other makers and it is all down to the time it takes to electronically scan the sensor. More modern sensors are far better at this than they used to be. It is a bit like the effects that used to appear on vertically running focal plane shutters when they were not so efficient as they are now. Photographing a race horse could have the head losing by a neck from its legs! This sounds fast enough not to be a problem.

On the basis you will be shooting a static or slow moving subject and trying not to disturb it, it will be more useable than trying to shoot bif.

The other benefit is that for some lenses whos elements bounce around with shutter shock at certain speeds, this will eliminate the problem. The speeds are usually slower than most will be using for birds, but useful just the same.

Anyway I havn't tested this version yet, so it remains to be seen if it works for me.

Slow shutter speeds are prone to rolling shutter. Nice feature though! So quiet. Deffinitely less shutter shock below 1/320.

Olympus have just released new firmware v4.1 for the E-M1.

The changes are:
* The stability of the image stabilizer's operations has been improved.
* The problem in which the external flash would not fire when shooting in RC mode has been corrected.

I have just updated mine without any problems and it retains your existing camera settings if updating from v4.0.

Ron

Last edited:
Olympus have just released new firmware v4.1 for the E-M1.

The changes are:
* The stability of the image stabilizer's operations has been improved.
* The problem in which the external flash would not fire when shooting in RC mode has been corrected.

I have just updated mine without any problems and it retains your existing camera settings.

Ron
Thanks Ron,
Where did you find this information as well as the FW itself?
/Tord

Hi Tord. I have Olympus Viewer 3 installed on my computer and used the Updater on that to find and istall new firmware. There is a thread about the update on the E-group forum at the moment.

Ron

I installed the MB v.2.3 today, the canon 400 EF 5.6 USM & MB & E-M1 didn´t autofocus at all, I installed v.2.1 again and it worked ok.

New Version 2.4

Name: Firmware update V2.4 for for Canon EF to Micro Four Thirds Smart AdapterTM/Speed BoosterTM
Release date: 30 Jun 2016
Benefits and improvements: (more detail may refer to press release)
Added C-AF support for OM-D E-M1.
Fixed f/8 AF regression since 2.2.
Fixed stability issue with EF 100-400/4.5-5.6L (Mark I) on Panasonic.

I installed it now and autofocus seems to work. I will test it tomorrow outdoors...

edit: Well, have done some simple tests now. AF works, how well needs more testing. One thing is if i want to AF on an object close, like 10 m away, and the camera has hard to get into focus, when i release the button (to try again to get target into focus again), the camera returns the lens automatically to infinity focus so the AFprocess starts from infinity again...time consuming.

I have the setting in the meny for lens return function to "off" when camera is turned off. This type of setting shouldn´t affect live AF.

Last edited:
Thanks for notifying us.

A technical question: Is it possible to go back to earlier versions of the FW? (in case you dislike a later one).

OK so I updated the FW and went off for a field test, using the Canon 400/5.6 USM.

Tested first with CAF-H, the MB adapter would deliver about 3 fps at most.
Based on this I reverted to CAF-L. This improved the AF acquisition quite a lot, I suppose the EM-1 hybrid AF (CD and PD) kicked in here and improved the performance.

The setup is not lightning fast, but would quite often deliver at least one frame in focus from a sequence of 2 or 3.

I got the best results with Shutter Release Prio = OFF, prefocus, aim at target, fully press the shutter release button and let the AF do the job.

I can post samples later if you are interested.

Tord, thanks for your report.

Please, add some samples.

Do you also get AF focus return to infinity after you release the button, when you try to take a photo at like 4m distance and the bird flies away before focus is close to be acheived?

I was trying to take photos at short distance at a bird feeder.

Tord, thanks for your report.

Please, add some samples.

Do you also get AF focus return to infinity after you release the button, when you try to take a photo at like 4m distance and the bird flies away before focus is close to be acheived?

I was trying to take photos at short distance at a bird feeder.
Well, the AF will lock on background if it fails in locking on the subject. What's strange with that? I don't get what you mean with focus returning to infinity after releasing the shutter button, the focus stays where the last frame was taken.

Some samples with the Canon EF 400/5.6 USM. Light was crappy, overcast but still the results are OK I think.

Attachments

• P7070474 (2).jpg
    P7070474 (2).jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 82
  • P7070475 (2).jpg
    P7070475 (2).jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 91
Tord,

Those photos looks good to me.

Ok, my lens returns to infinity focus position, it doesn´t stay, like your does.

I will go back to v.2.1 to see if it stays in position there.

EDIT: with v2.1 the lens stays in position when main button is released, even if camera has not reached focus, it doesn´t return to infinity position as with v.2.4.

EDIT 2: with v.2.1 and menu setting in AF/MF: "lens return to infinity position " is OFF, the lens is still returned to infinity position when camera is turned OFF...strange....and when camera is turned ON the lens is automatically move to close focus 3.5m....it should stay where it was, right.....this behaviour is the same when "lens return to infinity position " is ON...as it is supposed to be.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back