• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tschudii (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

I am wondering after my post...

Avibase here lumped Thalurania furcata rupicola with Thalurania furcata eriphile (Lesson, 1832). Here distinguish both by blackish steel-blue versus brown with white edges undertail coverts. So why is Thalurania furcata rupicola not accepted as seperate subspecies?

On the same species Sclater,PL, 1858, Gould, 1860 or Gould, 1861 was Thalurania tschudii. SACC wrote on this here:

If Thalurania furcata jelskii and Thalurania tschudii are synonyms shouldn't it than be Thalurania furcata tschudii Sclater, PL 1858 (even if he used Goulds MS)? Why is Dickinson 2003 not accepted?

..about this claim in the key.

• syn. Thalurania furcata jelskii
  • syn. Thalurania furcata nigrofasciata

Which is the synonym for Thalurania furcata jelskii and which for Thalurania furcata nigrofasciata?

According to Peters 1945, Check-list, V, p. 46;
Thalurania tschudii "Gould MS." Sclater, Proc. Zool. Soc London, pt. 26, 1858 (1859), p. 460 is a synonym of Thalurania furcata nigrofasciata (Gould), 1846, and Thalurania tschudii Gould, Proc. Zool. Soc. London, pt. 28, 1860, p. 312 (nec Thalurania tschudii Sclater, 1859) was replaced by Thalurania jelskii Taczanowski, 1874 (now Thalurania furcata jelskii).

At least doubbtful if I read the references from Gould here. Gould MS, Sclater (1859 (1858) and Gould 1860 are all the same. But maybe above would explain the priority question?

OK after I read Peters I assume that he made the distingish because Sclaters bird was from Gualaquiza and/or either from the town Zamora or Zamora-Chinchipe Province within the distribution range of Thalurania furcata nigrofasciata (Gould), 1846. Therefore priortiy to Gould 1846.

Gould 1860 gave the habitat as:

The neighbourhood of the River Ucayali, and the countries of Ecuador and Peru.

Because of Río Ucayali he put this one as a synonym of Thalurania furcata jelskii.

Nevertheless I feel Peters missed the Gould plate and text on Thalurania tschudii. There Gould clearly stated that the MS used by Sclater and his text in PZS are the same bird. As well Gould mentioned Ecuador (and not only Río Ucayali) as distribution range. If I look at the distribution range of IOC wold bird list

T. f. nigrofasciata (Gould, 1846) se Colombia, s Venezuela and nw Brazil

I can't identify the overlap with Río Ucayali. If we take the range this one would fit better.

T. f. viridipectus Gould, 1848 e Colombia, e Ecuador and ne Peru

By the way both Sclater and Gould referred to Trochilus furcatus Tschudi 1846.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back