• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Perfect Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 on ebay! (1 Viewer)

You often see these on e-bay going for silly money but I would be very surprised if these actually fetched the 'buy it now' price.

still got mine and still the best ever for me - amazing resolution and brightness

mine have never let any water in either in 17 years' use all over the world

No one will bid on these. First, they are priced too high. Second, ebayers like to actually BID on items. Starting at a low price and moving up. Who knows. A bidding war might actually get the price beyond its "buy now" price.

Great binos, though.

No one will bid on these. First, they are priced too high. Second, ebayers like to actually BID on items. Starting at a low price and moving up. Who knows. A bidding war might actually get the price beyond its "buy now" price.

Great binos, though.

I think the binoculars are worth £700 to someone who is on the lookout for a pair. This is the problem with ebay - it is a poor place to sell anything that is actually worth something. Great for junk, crap for selling quality products. People want everything for nothing.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Tempted to agree with you Dialyt.

I tried to sell a brand new boxed camcorder plus accessories worth another £50 - about £210 worth for £100m including postage and there were no takers. Decided in the end just to hang onto it.

Gordon

Ebay is a buyer's market. Unless you are a big store that can absorb the selling costs, and make a profit by selling in bulk, selling is a very disappointing experience.

Tempted to agree with you Dialyt.

I tried to sell a brand new boxed camcorder plus accessories worth another £50 - about £210 worth for £100m including postage and there were no takers. Decided in the end just to hang onto it.

Gordon

Maybe your asking price was too high?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

But you are right. My Kowa experience will probably be my last. I can't sell a mint scope at a good price. But then my listing was for UK only.

I'm not the seller, but I noticed this nice specimen on ebay.

I have a pair of these myself but don't use them, which is a shame. They would be the best binoculars in the world.... if they were waterproof! I think they represent a good investment for the future.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZEISS-Binocul...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Like Tim, my Dialy'ts are silly years old...why would you ever need a waterproof pair of binoculars??? have people never heard of a coat or rainguard; saying that I did bin my rain guard in 1981!

Like Tim, my Dialy'ts are silly years old...why would you ever need a waterproof pair of binoculars??? have people never heard of a coat or rainguard; saying that I did bin my rain guard in 1981!

Why would you bin it? It's worth £15.00.

In 1981 it was worthless and we didn't have e (Extortionate) bay.
That's how much a UK based optics dealer is charging for replacements, and I believe that is the Zeiss official replacement price for the rainguard.

BTW is there much difference between 1981 7x42s and the T*P ones in terms of optical performance?

Just so you know, I sold a mint pair of 7x42's 2 months ago on Ebay. I got $1500 from a Brit who asked if I would accept it as a "buy it now". So the Ebay system can work...

Ebay is a buyer's market. Unless you are a big store that can absorb the selling costs, and make a profit by selling in bulk, selling is a very disappointing experience.

Hah! You haven't seen the stack of the "yuck, why did I buy this?" music CDs I've been able to unload for good cash on e-Bay! I was a happy camper. I also sold some antique NOS Numitrons to a guy in Germany for big bux, too! :t:

I watch optics selling on ebay all the time. I almost never bid but, it's fun to see what people will pay.

I routinely see stuff sell for exorbitantly high prices - sometimes at or close to the price of the very same item bought NEW in a store. Only very rarely have I seen any quality optics sell for anything like what I would consider to be a bargain.

It must just be my personal experience. But I do know that seller fees and Pay Pal fees can really cut into your final take.

Zeiss 7x42 Dialyts must be a collector's item to bring in that much. Seems like I remember Cabela's selling them new for maybe $800 a few years ago?

It must just be my personal experience. But I do know that seller fees and Pay Pal fees can really cut into your final take.

Zeiss 7x42 Dialyts must be a collector's item to bring in that much. Seems like I remember Cabela's selling them new for maybe $800 a few years ago?

IMHO they are the most comfortable bin in the hand, and the view is wonderful. The Swaro EL are the only bin to attempt to match the hand comfort, but look odd.

I think the binoculars are worth £700 to someone who is on the lookout for a pair. This is the problem with ebay - it is a poor place to sell anything that is actually worth something. Great for junk, crap for selling quality products. People want everything for nothing.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Ebay is good for selling popular stuff and buying unpopular or grey market items. Buyers tend to go by brand names, and Zeiss is one of the big brand names. As are Leica and Swarovski. Less so Nikon IMO.

I picked up a brand new copy of Photosop CS2 for less than half the shop price. And I got a right angle finder for almost nothing.

I sold a Nikon 70-210 lens for a decent price thanks to silly reviews by someone called Ken Rockwell.

But I sold a Nikon 28mm F2.8 AFD lens for a low price. Sadly it has no hyped reviews.

I think the trick is to wait for an item like the one you are selling to appear, then find out what it goes for. That will tell you if it is worth selling, in which case put up your item with no reserve. That attracts silly bids. And then less silly ones follow. People seem to like biding £600 on an item with lots of bids, but will not bid £600 on an item with no bids and a £600 starting price. I suspect past bids give them confidence. Silly really. Of course there is the element of fear/risk with no reserve.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back