• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (4 Viewers)

The kingfishers must me my favorites here, though the swallows are marvellous and the herons beautiful. But when a sketch of a kingfisher gets the similar reaction from me as a full color photograph would normally get... Well, that should be saying a lot! THose kingfishers are lines on paper, yet totally, vividly alive!!!

Elina

Some of the kingfishers, including the bobbing one, were sketched towards the end of the week when I'd had the time to study them and had sketched them enough times that I began to 'know' the shapes better, I guess it shows. Thanks all.

Mike

Swallow, Swallows, Swallows!
It has to be Mike! it would be a criminal offence if you didnt spoil us with another one of your beautiful Swallows. The Kingfisher looks superbly impressive, but the swallows do it for me every time. Keep at it Mike :t::t::t:

Maybe swallows next.

For now here's a crap scan (You can see the joins) of the kingfisher I've been working on for the past couple of weeks. I'll upload a better scan when I go back to work. I'm glad it's finally finished 'cos I was getting a bit bored with leaves to be honest. It's titled 'the prince and the damsel'. Can you see what I did there? Sometimes I'm so clever it scares me! ;)

Off to the eye hospital tomorrow morning so I may not be painting for a while!

Mike

Attachments

• badprincescan.jpg
    badprincescan.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 96
Can you see what I did there? Sometimes I'm so clever it scares me! ;)
Scares me too, Mike ;)
But the painting is a work of absolute gorgeousness - foliage, textures, colours and clever design (there ya go - scaring me again) with a sumptious kingfisher and cunningly positioned agrion.
It's an absolute classic, mate.
Good luck at the clinic - sorry, I mean hospital ;)

There's a touch of the old Terance James Bond there, but with the added bonus in your case that the bird looks like the real thing;).

Good luck with the eye..

That's a beauty! The colors, the compostion, the brushwork, the subject itself and the whole idea behind the name! Great start for a morning. :)

And good luck with the eye!

Elina

Ed took the words right out of my mouth! So no point repeating them. This is a great kingfisher portrait, it actually feels like it could be at the other end of my scope. So many would have you believe that kingfishers always sit on the end of your nose. Love the foligae, so much depth and variety.

Hope all goes well with the eye.

Wonderful Painting Mike, just right....it's all been said already, love the vegetation as well as the main subject, all adds up to a great painting as a whole...

Back from the eye hopital. I've had my eyelid turned inside out and dye dropped in my eye, it's been prodded and looked at from all angles and it has been decided that I'd had a metal splinter stuck in it. As luck would have it however, it has subsequently come out of its own accord and left behind a 'rust ring' which will, in time, be absorbed by the eye and will leave no lasting damage. Whew! :t:

I left really too early for my appointment and consequently found myself with a bit of time to wander. So I found a path and followed it into some woods which had all been pollarded in the past leaving beautifully sculpted chestnut 'stools' (steady on!). To take my mind off things I sat down and drew one.

Normal service will be returned from tomorrow and right now I think I'm going to start planning the next painting.

Mike

Attachments

• chstntstool.jpg
    chstntstool.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 74
Mike - that's great news, such a relief I'm sure.
BUT _ there's no way you'll be getting any time off sick with poor eyes if the boss sees work like this! Brilliant pieces of 'seeing' - wonderfully sensitive linework and subtle tones. Perfect.

good news then, glad you're ok, but I'm feeling rather queasy after reading that graphic description!

Wonderful study too.

The Kingfisher is lovely, Mike. I'm glad to hear you just have ring-around-the-eye(I heard bleach works real well for rust stains sometimes), instead of a piece of metal lodged in it. Ugh, I'm with Nick with the description of your examination.

Thanks Peter. It may never get used but I've always fancied using something like this for a life size painting of a wren or similar, so who knows what might happen in the future?

Mike

I've been remiss in uploading sketches lately so here's some from the last couple of weeks. A selection of marsh harriers, oiks, wheatear, yellow wag, ringed plovers etc. Oh and a whinchat made my day too. Blog's been updated at last as well, I've been really busy at work today!

Mike

Attachments

• barny1.jpg
    barny1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 58
  • marshes1.jpg
    marshes1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 45
  • marshes2.jpg
    marshes2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 53
  • whinchat1.jpg
    whinchat1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 60
  • rps01.jpg
    rps01.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back